Forums Latest Members
  1. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Oct 30, 2014

Hi,

I am considering getting a Speedmaster moonphase 3576.50, as per http://www.omegawatches.com/collection/speedmaster/moonwatch/professional/35765000

I would just really like your general thoughts about this. Is it looked down upon a little as it is not a traditional moon watch? I have to admit I have always been drawn more to the different varieties of Speedy more than the traditional looking ones, and I think the moonphase specifically would be a cool brother to the TDMP I have. Is the 1866 a good movement?

What would be a general fair price to pay for one of these second hand, say +- 10yrs old, in decent condition with box and cards? They're about £3800 brand new.

Thanks in advance

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 30, 2014

I don't think anybody could look down on the Moonphase for not being a traditional moon watch, it still has the same base calibre and is a great piece.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 30, 2014

I'll speak to the movement only - the 1866 is based on the 1861, but with the moon phase complication added. There have been problems in some of these, and there are a few upgrades that have been done over the years. I occasionally run into one where the moon phase has to be adjusted, so if the one you buy has been in for a service, that is a bonus because hopefully the work would have been done on it already.

Cheers, Al

airansun and Tiny Iota like this.
  4. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Oct 30, 2014

Thanks for the info. Archer, you say "over the years", but how far back do we have to go for it to be an issue? I will definitely ask about service history if and when I find one I'm thinking of buying.

I know it may all be in the eye of the beholder and all, but any ideas on a reasonable price to pay for one?

Cheers for your help folks :thumbsup:

5. Fusion Oct 30, 2014

I wanted one of these for a quick minute. Personally I think they are stunning. I love the moon phase complication. For prices, go to watchrecon.com and type in the ref #. Click 'all time' and it will give you a good idea of what people are charging for what condition the watch is in etc.

If you do get one please post some pics :)

Tiny Iota likes this.
  6. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Oct 30, 2014

You know, I had had a brain freeze and never thought of looking at completed sales. I must have read that advice tens of times on this forum; search for completed listings on eBay etc. Thanks for the jolt I needed. Is it home time yet, it's been a long day!

Fusion likes this.
  7. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Oct 30, 2014

I have always found the moonphase aspect of the watch stunning. A real thing of beauty. I cannot speak to the merits of its movement compared to others (I will leave that to Archer). I bought mine from a well respected Omega Forum member and could not be happier with the purchase. Not my daily wearer but a least once a week it's on my wrist. I say go for it. You may want to contact Kringkily on this forum and see if he can source one for you. Mine came complete with box, papers, moonphase tools and cards. It may not be a "true" Speedy Moon, but it sure is a head turner. Good luck.

Fusion likes this.
  8. Fusion Oct 30, 2014

Pic???????

9. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Oct 30, 2014

Not wearing it today, but here is a shot of it from George's ad before I grabbed it.
    [​IMG]

lando and Fusion like this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 30, 2014

The document that illustrates the problems and how to solve them dates back to 2008. So I would assume any watch made before that, and possibly some after might have some issues.

Cheers, Al

Tiny Iota likes this.
  11. HessenMob Oct 30, 2014

Go for it! I got my new 3576.50 this May and have not looked back! I'm happy i went for it. I don't think there is any discussion around it not being "original" enough, as the people above have pointed out, the movement is essentially the same as the 3570.50 except for the extra complication.

I like the other Speedies for sure, but since I am a real moon-buff, I had to have the moonphase complication.

I must admit I only use the date function sporadically, however the moonphase is a nice touch and I do look up more often now at the moon than before. Also it has gotten me many a compliment ;)

IMG_5199.JPG IMG_5195.JPG
  12. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Oct 31, 2014

Hi,

Again, thanks for all the information and encouragement (although my bank balance could do without that sort of encouragement! ;) )

How often should a watch like this be serviced? I have seen a late 2005 model which was serviced "4 or 5" years ago. Unfortunately I have nothing more specific than that and no information about what was actually done (and won't get it, I've asked and they don't have the info).

How much would a service cost and if there is the moonphase issue to be fixed, could that be expensive?

Cheers

13. Fusion Oct 31, 2014

I'm by no means an expert whatsoever but since I'm awake right now I'll give my $0.02. Expect to spend between $400-600 for a general service. I would imagine that if the moon phase function is malfunctioning it wouldn't be *extremely* expensive. I would guess (this is just an educated guess) that the damage could get into the low thousands but I'd be surprised if it was more. Now I'm not sure how rampant the issues are with the moon phase and I'm sure Al will chime in but generally budget around $500ISH for service, more for more complicated watches IE the speedy moon phase. I could be completely off on this but that's just my feel for it

14. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Oct 31, 2014

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any more info about the servicing frequency and cost.
    Cheers folks ::beer::

15. HessenMob Oct 31, 2014

Servicing should be done roughly every 5 years. Costs will be around 400-600 euro (since a good AD will send it to Switzerland to be be cleaned and over-hauled). I have done extensive research on the moonphase watch before I bought mine and never read anything about problems with the moonphase itself. Just the "normal" problems that come from the Speedie. Therefore, no additional costs as far as all my research has shown, just the service costs. Expect around 2 weeks for the servicing.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 31, 2014

2 weeks for servicing seems a bit fast - I would expect at least 6-8 weeks for a service through Omega.

With regards to the problems, there were 3 main things:

1 - Too much end shake of the moon phase star, so it would not always drive. Solutions included adjusting the post in the middle of star using a Horia tool, and also bending the dial down towards the moon phase disk to restrict it's travel. Yes seems barbaric, but that is what Omega suggests...

2 - The moon phase finger that drives the star is also adjusted using the Horia tool to raise it slightly so it engages with the moon phase star better.

3 - A new movement spacer (enlargement ring) is installed which prevents damage to the correctors when assembling the watch.

I have had to correct these things on a few of these movements, but most are good.

Cheers, Al

17. DocHolliday Nov 3, 2014

I love the stars on this watch.

18. shoota70 Nov 7, 2014

It is the best Speedy Pro in the current lineup. I have owned several with never an issue.

It IS a Moonwatch to. One that you may not always be able to purchase new.

Don't let the need to service it down the road deter you. It's a watch - all watches need service. And it's a machine - machines need mntc.

airansun likes this.
  19. Superdoc Nov 8, 2014

Looked Down upon?

View attachment DSC01909.JPG

Not a Chance...

This was Love at 1st site....

It is a Speedy Pro -
    Manual Wind

Beautiful display back
    added complication

How can you beat a moonphase on the moon watch?

(only 4 left in the Boutique Network)

20. bacaitlin Nov 9, 2014

I had one a couple of years ago but sold it. The clear caseback was wonderful to look at but in the end, the chrono seconds hand just blocked the view of the moon and it just bothered me too much.