Forums Latest Members
  1. ChemGuy Feb 16, 2019

Guys,
    I ran across this MK II and had some questions as Im not a Speedy guy. Seller claims he is original owner and watch was college graduation gift from '69. That would be a first year for this MKII correct? Does this look like a correct '69? Dial, hands, bracelet everything look kosher? It doesnt sound like its been serviced in a while. Whats a typical clean & oil on this watch ($3-500???)
    Given the used but original looking nature (never polished to me) what do you guys think the market is for this watch? Watch and bracelet only.

I really like this case more then the normal Moonwatch cases so I am thinking about it but wanted to see what the experts think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Dan

tikkathree likes this.
  2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 16, 2019

You can check eBay past sales to get a price range.

On average I think a typical service will run $550. I can't tell if crystal is scratch, but if that needs replacing that would be additional.

Watch looks fine, but hard to tell by pics if that Chrono hand is a replacement.

3. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Feb 16, 2019

Looks good to me but as above difficult to make out if it has the feint original finish from those pics but it doesn't appear to have been polished. Seems to have the Mexican made Holzer bracelet.

Crystal appears to have rotated which can happen and with that the underside of the black printed area has scuffed, nothing major and replacement crystals are available anyway.

tikkathree likes this.
  4. flqt-9000 Feb 16, 2019

To me it looks good. Based in my experience the crystal is original to the watch. Further it seems like the dial is going brown (observe the hour counter).
    Concerning the value I think about 1200-1600€.

tikkathree likes this.
  5. OMEGuy Feb 16, 2019

This watch looks good to me. Judging by the pics, it has not been polished. All parts seem to be genuine.

If you want, you can have it like new. There are experts doing perfect refinishing of these watches.

Edited Feb 16, 2019
    tikkathree likes this.
  6. chipsotoole Feb 16, 2019

I disagree with Tet. It looks quite heavily polished. There is nothing to be seen of the original "lapped" finish. I can't really say much about the bracelet as it's not clear. The earliest mark II's had a 1039 bracelet I think with 954(?) end links. A picture of the movement would reveal more. If the serial is around 28-29 million you'd be in with a shout of 1969.

7. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Feb 16, 2019

bracelet appears to be 1159 which is desirable, and correct for this ref.

case looks shiny, that'd be a lot of cuff polish, or possibly an artifact from the (poor) picture.... should be sunburst finish.

Ask for (1) more (2) hi-res pics :)

8. valkyrie_rider Feb 16, 2019

Maybe I'm mistaken, but it looks quite polished to me.

9. ChemGuy Feb 16, 2019

Thanks guys....when I look at the pics sometimes it seems like the sunburst is there and just 'scratched' and sometimes it looks polished. I didnt think it was polished du to the crispness of the lines and facets.

I may ask for more pics and check the bracelet #'s. I think he's a tad high on price so we'll just have to see.

10. jimmyd13 Feb 16, 2019

I spent a while looking at those photos before reading what others have said. The overall shape of the case bothers me but I can't convince myself that it's not just the lighting and angles. To be sure, can you get a photograph of the top and bottom of the watch - end on. IE the glass will be on the same plane as the camera's view. Then, straight on side views.

11. OMEGuy Feb 16, 2019

12. Chaz Goldenrod Feb 16, 2019

I briefly owned a Mark II with racing dial. I agree with others that this case looks polished, although not terribly so. The chamfers still look sharp. Overall it looks to be an honest example.

13. flqt-9000 Feb 17, 2019

I don’t believe the case is polished, yet heavily used..

14. Koen Feb 17, 2019

I do think this case has been polished. You have to look at the angle and width of the brushed part at 3 & 9. It’s way off.
    Not to mention the swirling polished bevel.

Nice dial and hands though, if the price is right and movement okay, I would send it to tanner

15. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Feb 17, 2019

This sounds about right to me, my own example(same age as this one) had the same effect. Catch the angle right and the original stardust finish is viable, at other angles you'd never think it was there at all. Is harder to capture the finish in photos than viewing it in real life and is just down to surface scuffs from 50 years of honest wear and tear.

IMG_20190214_153524.jpg

No original finish left in the above example surely? Wrong, in person the original sunburst finish is clearly disable all the way around the case. Very difficult to capture in photos.

Edited Feb 17, 2019
    flqt-9000 and red crowned like this.
  16. Koen Feb 17, 2019

Your case is definitely different from op example, look at the small sunburst area at 3&9.
    Nice watches btw:thumbsup:

17. ChemGuy Feb 18, 2019

I got some different pics and it doesn't look like there's much original sunburst left. Either from someone polishing it some at a service years ago or from wear.
    It does have the early bracelet and coreect 154 (or 145) endlinks.
    But it needs a good cleaning, service and crystal fir me to wear it.
    He's asking $1950 and I think we are to far on price.

Thanks for the help.