Forums Latest Members

Speedy Mitsukoshi Dial fit issue

1. brandxbrand Apr 10, 2017

Hi all. No secret that I am a first time poster to the Omega Forums. I have been a member of TRF for almost a decade and usually just post in their Omega threads but I am in need of some core brand help that I am not sure I will get over there!

Recently I obtained a Mitsukohsi Dial/Hand package kit for a conversion project I wanted to do on my modern 3570.50 (watch purchased new in 2013). I purchased the full set of dial and hands in one bulk buy from someone who original bought from Offrei but never got around the doing the project. Attached is the receipt of the items when the seller purchased them from Offrei.

I sent the watch off the my local maker a few days ago. Today he says the dial is not fitting correctly and the hands wont fit.

Upon some research I see the hands are commonly a little too tight to fit and require some 'encouragement' by filing down the holes so they are ever so slightly bigger, as noted here in reply number 4

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/speedmaster-mitsukoshi-modification-question-new-hands-dont-fit-2592618.html

What I am confused about is the dial fit. In an email back it reads
    "As for the dial, the dial feet are mounted in the wrong place. It causes the dial to sit too low and inhibits the functionality of the movement and the fit in the case."

The 064WK3052031 Dial is intended for Cal 1861 movement right, which mine is. Is there something else here that could be an issue or incorrect compatibility, or does he need to apply additional 'encouragement' to get the dial to fit.

Thank you in advance for any information you can supply. Desperate the get this going and back on my wrist as a panda!!

omegarec.jpg
    Edited Apr 10, 2017
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 10, 2017

Picture of the dial?

There should not be an issue. I'm wondering if the dial is a similar one for another watch.

3. brandxbrand Apr 10, 2017

Thanks for your reply. The watch is at the maker right now with original parts put back on. Here is a link to the items purchased. As said, the Speedy it was meant to go in is a standard modern 3570.50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Speed...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I questioned the dial fit issue to which he replied

"The problem with the dial feet is that they place the dial below center on the movment (i.e. to far towards 6:00).
    The hands would then be rubbing against the dial, and this will lead to bad time keeping, low amplitude, and overall poor performance. Plus it will not be centered in the case.
    The dial feet are straight so it is not a case of the dial being damaged in shipment.
    Bending them to make it fit would be a bad idea since it would be very difficult to get it centered and would ultimately compromise the integrity of the dial"

The dial I purchased looks Authentic OEM. The seller is reputable too. What could be the issue?

Again, THANK YOU!!

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 11, 2017

Dials are often off center and need to be centered when installed. Your watchmaker is right that if the side of the hole is touching the hour wheel or the tube on a hand, it will cause problems with the performance of the watch. However centering the dial is not uncommon so without knowing how much the dial is off, it would be difficult to say if correcting it would cause a problem with the dial. Usually it can be done very quickly and easily...

For example here you can see the dial is shifted too far to the left - most visible on the minute recorder:

[​IMG]

Now centered:

[​IMG]

These 2 images were taken a minute apart, so clearly it doesn't take long to fix.

The hands being tight is common - the silver hands are typically even tighter than the normal Speedmaster hands are. Broaching them out to fit is a common thing with pretty much all watches, so that is routine work for any watchmaker.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al

sensui and NT931 like this.
  5. brandxbrand Apr 11, 2017

Archer. Thank you!! Your comments make perfect sense.

May I ask what you would suggest the actual process be in correcting the dial position? In your example did you first fit the dial and then apply finger pressure to the edges of the dial to center correctly or did you need to machine and/or bend the feet slightly with the dial off the movement? Pehaps with small pliars?

In consideration of the above question, is there meant to be some small clearance between the backside of the dial and the topside of the movement to allow for this adjustment, or is the dial intended to sit completely flush with the front of the movement?

Thank you again for the knowledge exhibited in such a short reply. I am feeling a lot better about this conversion now, even if some things are still unknown and need to be worked through.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 11, 2017

In the photo below that shows the dial side of an 1863, there is the hour recorder bridge on the lower right. Then the upper left has a spacer, and these are what the dial rests on. They are flat and smooth...

[​IMG]

No special equipment is required - I'm sure your watchmaker knows how to do this, but in the remote chance he doesn't you may want to find someone that does.

Cheers, Al