Forums Latest Members

Speedy Broad Arrow Re-Issue, 3594.50

1. Myron Sep 2, 2016

Not counting the family heirloom pictured in my avatar, my first Omega was a ref. 145.022-69 Speedmaster. A nice watch, but its dial and hands had been replaced with genuine service items at some point, so I always felt it suffered from a case of mixed identity. It was too much like a modern Speedy and not enough like a vintage piece. It lasted about a year with me, but turned out to be exactly what the guy I sold it to was looking for. So it ended well.

I am the furthest thing from a hardcore Omega collector so for me having just one nice Omega works. After the 145.022-69 failed to launch with me I tried the Seamster 300 MCA and it lasted another year. Too shiny, too much money on my wrist at one time (it's also to be seen in my avatar). I always felt that, paradoxically, that watch would have been perfect with a date, yet a date would have ruined that watch. I also hated the lume, or more precisely, the watch's readability at night. In a state of sleepy confusion it just looked like a jumble of glowing triangles. Although a beautiful watch, it was another failure to launch with me personally. But this piece had leap-frogged its place in line with me, because I had already taken note of the '57 Re-Issue Speedmaster and had it on my Someday List.

When I first became aware of the 3594.50 a few years ago I was instantly intrigued. A modern Speedy Pro with vintage design cues, its good looks were magnetically attractive to me. I also like the fact that it's not like every other Speedy Pro out there, kind of the counter-cultural Speedy in a world that has gone Speedy Pro manic. I say this but intend no offense to Speedmaster collectors or those who prefer the more traditional dial and handset on the Speedy Pro we all know and love. But the steel bezel, special handset, and gray dial on this watch just really work for me. And the modern luminescence and easy-to-read-at-night dial are very welcome for near-sighted folks like me who like to sleep with a watch. I also sleep with my wife and a dog, just in case you were inclined to take that last sentence the wrong way. ;-)

Finally, the icing on the cake is the price. Where the value of so many Speedmaster references has gone through the roof lately, the 3594.50 seems to be the Cinderella who didn't get an invitation to the Prince's ball. For reasons I don't understand, this watch is still available for much less than its more common caliber 1861 sibling references. Having had it on my wrist for 24 hours, I can confidently say that for me anyway, the glass slipper fits and I have found my princess. And like I'm always telling my teenager, if the shoe fits, wear it.

Thanks for reading,

Myron

PS, my watch came with a ref 1499 bracelet that I'll be posting on the Sales Corner if anyone is interested.

IMG_5862.jpg IMG_5863-1.JPG IMG_5864-1.JPG

2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 2, 2016

This is a beauty. Every time I go the the Omega site, I end up staring at this watch.

kurtj29 likes this.
  3. kurtj29 Sep 2, 2016

I totally agree, I think this is one of the best Speedmastser references. I have my WatchRecon alert set to notify me when one of these come up. But they don't come up that often - or ever - since I have been looking. Where did you find your watch?

I love this reference for a couple of reasons:
    1. Broad Arrow hands IMO are a big improvement on the looks of the watch. I have a 3507.51 and I added broad arrow hands - it made a big difference.
    2. The applied logo - it's a little thing but in my mind makes a big difference and just ups the quality level.
    3. Only two beautiful lines of text - "Omega" and "Speedmaster" - nothing more need be said. I always felt the "PROFESSIONAL" looked crammed into the dial and was not needed. Two lines of text - beautiful and no more is needed.
    4. Steel Bezel - at first I did not like this, but now I really appreciate it. I do think the silver bezel makes the watch a "strap only" or "looks best on a strap" watch though - I don't think the silver bezel works well with the same colored bracelet - but on a strap - this has got to be the best looking Speedmaster.

I only wish it had an 1863 movement in it with a sapphire display back, but then that would diverge from the 1957 heritage - but I think that would be a great addition. If I can ever find one, I will get a display back and put it on - even though it is a "61".

I think this is the ultimate design form for the Speedmaster moonwatch series.

Jwit, GregH and Myron like this.
  4. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 2, 2016

Might be selling this soon....

Near mint and full set.

You will just have to watch your phone for the alert..

DSC_9657.jpg

hansmaulwurf, Jwit and kurtj29 like this.
  5. Myron Sep 2, 2016

Hi Kurtj,

Yes, your points above are right in line with my thinking. I found my watch on WUS. A buddy who is also always looking saw it (using Watch Recon I assume) and alerted me.

No worries for you, though -- sounds like dibs have just been placed for you on a really nice one!

Good Luck,

Myron

kurtj29 likes this.
  6. bnabod Sep 2, 2016

Great look broad arrow a fav of mine and u are right there is something about the steel bezel applied marker and hands of course
    Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kurtj29 likes this.
  7. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 2, 2016

I got mine in '97 when they first came out and eventually changed the hands and the bezel to the Moonwatch type. I recently changed the hands to the FOIS type.

Tom

speedsea.jpg
    Eve, kraigg007, Barada7 and 3 others like this.
  8. jud Sep 3, 2016

I enjoyed the thoughtful post Myron, good looking watches guys.

9. GregH Sep 3, 2016

It's a favorite of mine, very photogenic and wears nicely on the Barenia leather and deployant.
    I hope you enjoy some photos @Myron and @kurtj29 I got mine here on Omega Forum. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Edited Sep 4, 2016
    robinhook, pascs, Jwit and 1 other person like this.
  10. Myron Sep 4, 2016

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing @GregH.

11. gr8sw Sep 4, 2016

congrats, Myron! and nice review!

I owned one several years ago but unfortunately decided to part with it... damned hobby LOL

one of the nicer Speedys imho

12. Myron Sep 4, 2016

^^^ Hey thanks, Peter! Great to hear from you. I continue to enjoy this watch. It has the feel of a keeper, that's for sure!

Myron

13. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 5, 2016

The one thing I could never get past is that big fat arrow getting in the way of the registers. Trying to use the chrono in the afternoon for anything was futile. Why I went with more slender hands.

Tom

14. NT931 Sep 5, 2016

I bought my 3594.50 from Kaberui (one of the Japanese speedy sellers on ebay) a few years ago but sold it as it was just a bit too big for my slim wrist, somehow the 42mm Speedies don't sit well with me. I liked the BA hands though, and the applied logo.

15. pascs Sep 5, 2016

One of the all time classics imo

My take on it using the 3594.50 dial and hands

[​IMG]

cvrle1, GregH, Maganator and 2 others like this.
  16. Myron Sep 5, 2016

^^^^ Beauty! ^^^^

You changed out the bezel?

17. pascs Sep 5, 2016

Changed of bezel and changed the hesalite for one with the silver tension ring

Maganator likes this.
  18. Maganator Sep 6, 2016

I really like this conversion. Where did you get the bezel and chapter ring?

cvrle1 likes this.
  19. pascs Sep 6, 2016

The bezel I bought sometime back from one of the Australian sellers of Omega parts and the complete crystal with the silver tension ring is for the early Speedmaster like the 2998 and 105.002

Maganator likes this.
  20. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 6, 2016

Myron's picture is the exact reason I changed the hands. Good luck guessing what the minute register reads between the 15 and 23 minute marks!

Tom

278179-602a26628d1104ae702f4a5edf522872.jpg