Forums Latest Members

Speedy + Bonus 1016 on New Straps

1. pozer Aug 14, 2018

I have to admit that I typically only bring my speedy out on Tuesdays, which is cool. If I'm doing a lot of cooking I'll also wear it because I *gasp* actually use the chrono a lot. The 1016 is for weekends - I truly wish these were less valuable so I could feel ok about wearing it a lot more.

Have a great week, everyone! 1016+Speedy on AdG1.jpg

CTS-V, sjg22, airansun and 2 others like this.
  2. jud Aug 14, 2018

That Explorer is stunning.

pozer and airansun like this.
  3. ATWG Aug 14, 2018

Beautiful 1016!

airansun likes this.
  4. WatchWalker Aug 14, 2018

That 1016 is stunning. But with all due respect, I wouldn't wear it on that strap. Not even in the weekends. It needs a straight base color (black, brown, taupe,..) as now it looks rather small with this strap. That dial is the bomb so the focus should remain on it.

mr_yossarian and pozer like this.
  5. pozer Aug 15, 2018

Yes, I agree. The strap maker sent me that strap as a gift so I wanted to snap a pic of it on the 1016 for him. I have a tan strap from Hodinkee for it that I normally wear and it looks great. The Hodinkee strap is definitely not worth $150 though, especially after wearing these deGriff straps. And ideally, I'd be able to find and afford a 7836 for it but just looking lightly. They're not cheap!

6. WatchWalker Aug 16, 2018

I can't judge the Hodinkee straps but I can vow for deGriff straps as I have about 10 of those myself. And they are really good! I have a 7835 and a 7206 in as new condition, yet I never wear them but opt for leather straps instead.

7. Foxy100 Aug 16, 2018

I never wear my Speedy because it's Tuesday, much like I don't make a point of driving my classic car on 'drive it day' (I drive it the rest of the year!).

I too use my Speedy for timing stuff (like cooking, where I worry about steam ingress) but have just bought an X33 Skywalker which will probably take over all the functional duties. I've not had a modern 'beater' because I wear vintage all but three or four days of the month but like you say the value of them (and parts, what if you damage a DON bezel?) is so high now we have to be a lot more careful.

Nice watches, the Rolex is a stunner.