Forums Latest Members
  1. swmtbr Sep 8, 2017

Hi all,
    I am new to this forum and have only recently started my journey into vintage speedmasters.
    This started recently when my elderly father handed me his watch.
    The story behind this watch that we know of is that it's first owner was an Australian Vietnam vet. My father bought it mid 70's and wore it as his daily watch till the late 80's. Since then it has only been used as a special occasion watch and in the last 15 or so years it hasn't been worn at all. The potential value has kept it in Dads drawer until the time he handed it to me.
    I won't be parting with it but I would love some insight into it further. Once I find a watchmaker I trust I will get the back taken off.
    I have very conflicting advice from Omega service centres in Australia. Some wanting to overhaul it from the ground up. I won't be doing anything yet.
    I'm in Western Australia and would like to know any of the below information, taken from the posting guide.
    "Identification, dating, model numbers, servicing / maintenance / restoration advice or even ballpark valuations." I am completely new to all of this and would appreciate any info/advice you can give me. I also may have quite a few silly questions while I'm learning, so bare with me please.

Thanks in advance guys.

IMG_0576.JPG IMG_0581.JPG IMG_0585.JPG IMG_0586.JPG IMG_0577.JPG IMG_0578.JPG IMG_0582.JPG IMG_0583.JPG
    Edited Sep 9, 2017
  2. arcadelt Sep 8, 2017

What exactly do you want to know? It's a pre-moon Speedy, but difficult to tell you more because most of the photos are out of focus. I can say it looks to have an incorrect chronograph hand, but the rest of it looks OK - dirty, but OK.

Where are you located so that people can suggest a watchmaker? Assuming Australia, you might want to consider Lewis Watch Co in Perth, who is also "Photo500" on this forum.

www.lewiswatchco.com

Taddyangle, RawArcher and swmtbr like this.
  3. abrod520 Sep 8, 2017

It's a 145.022-69, probably produced in 1970. Besides the chronograph seconds hand, it looks to have all of its original parts, even the bracelet. Can you tell us what the markings are on the bracelet clasp?

gemini4, Davidt, swmtbr and 1 other person like this.
  4. sjg22 Sep 8, 2017

Cool watch and nice story.

Looks like a "pre-moon" 145.022-69ST Speedmaster - the fact that it looks to have a "dot over 90" DON bezel and 1039/516 bracelet is particularly appealing.

Very hard to tell much about condition given the photo quality but the bezel alone could be worth $2k or more and the bracelet could be near there as well depending on condition.

Watch looks to be in well enjoyed condition - Dial and hands (potentially excepting chronograph hand as it's an odd colour) look original but hard to say definitely given poor image quality. Movement and inside caseback photo would also be helpful.

Overall great collectible watch!

mr_yossarian, swmtbr and Foo2rama like this.
  5. swmtbr Sep 8, 2017

IMG_0577.JPG
    STANDY likes this.
  6. sjg22 Sep 8, 2017

Inside the clasp, not the outside, although outside looks correct from that pic. Likely will read 1039 - that's the photo that will be helpful.

swmtbr likes this.
  7. swmtbr Sep 8, 2017

Thank you all for the information so far! Also the quick replies. Once I track down a decent camera I'll post the requested photos. This could be an interesting ride! I'm hoping my Dad will also join up to this site and can give us so more details regarding the history etc.

mikechi22 likes this.
  8. arcadelt Sep 8, 2017

This is a photo taken with an iPhone 6 - just sayin' you can probably do just fine with what you already have.

IMG_5931.JPG

irate.alien, RawArcher and swmtbr like this.
  9. swmtbr Sep 8, 2017

And an IPhone 6 is all I have! I'll try better at some stage, I was probably trying to get in too close

10. arcadelt Sep 8, 2017

A couple of tips to help you out.

Find a place with nice filtered light, not direct lamp light or sunlight - a bright but shady spot is good. Turn off the iPhone flash. Touch the screen at the point you want the camera to focus - if it's not in focus on the screen it can't be in focus on the photo. Wear reading glasses when taking the photo if you wear them for reading.

swmtbr likes this.
  11. abrod520 Sep 8, 2017

Yes, we'd like to see the inside / underside of the clasp, where there will be some markings that look like this:

IMG_2709.JPG

Photo taken just now, on a phone, under the lamp in my bedroom :)

swmtbr, EdtheAussie and arcadelt like this.
  12. swmtbr Sep 9, 2017

Hi again

The bracelet has 1039 stamped on it. Hopefully you can zoom in on these pics for further detail.

IMG_0580.JPG IMG_0581.JPG IMG_0582.JPG IMG_0583.JPG IMG_0584.JPG IMG_0585.JPG IMG_0587.JPG
  13. smitty190373 Sep 9, 2017

You will be amazed how that will look after some TLC in the right hands. I wouldn't change anything, just get it cleaned up and serviced. A polished plexi (glass) will transform it. Your Dad has good taste.

KstateSkier, gemini4 and swmtbr like this.
  14. Davidt Sep 9, 2017

Yep, as others have said, a valuble and very sought after 145.022-69 Speedmaster. All parts (case, dial, bezel, bracelet etc) appear original with the exception of the central chronograph hand.

A sympathetic service by an independent watchmaker is essential to preserve originality. As you have already hinted at, Omega will end up replacing a lot of parts, ruining the history and originality.

Speedmaster101.net has a wealth of info of the individual vintage models.

nonuffinkbloke, mikechi22 and swmtbr like this.
  15. swmtbr Sep 9, 2017

Much appreciated guys.

16. swmtbr Sep 9, 2017

Excuse my ignorance but is the chronograph hand the seconds hand on the main dial?

17. sjg22 Sep 9, 2017

Yes. It is essentially the "stopwatch" hand. If you activate the top pusher, it (should) start to tick around the dial. If you push the top pusher again it (should) stop ticking, staying wherever it is. The bottom pusher will reset it back to 12.

As was said by others, this watch will look quite good once it's been sympathetically cleaned up and serviced by a watchmaker. This isn't one for Omega to work on given all the valuable original parts.

swmtbr likes this.
  18. abrod520 Sep 9, 2017

The '3 70' stamp on the right is the quarter and year of manufacture of the bracelet, so third quarter (July-September) 1970. There's a good chance your Speedmaster was produced during this period as well. More than likely it was produced between April and September 1970.

.... assuming the bracelet is original, of course (which I believe it is)

swmtbr and gemini4 like this.
  19. swmtbr Sep 9, 2017

Great info and thankyou. Next question. So if the watch is in original condition with the correct bracelet and movement to suit. What price range would this watch fall into.
    Also, what would a ballpark figure be to service and clean the watch to bring it up to a beautiful vintage wearable standard. I understand we have no idea of the movement yet, but say it is in good condition. (As I believe it will be)

20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 9, 2017

Lucky you have a good watchmaker that services these watches in Perth and a member here. I would get him to do mine ;)

PM @photo500 for a service. He will reveal all once the caseback is off.
    ( just notified him to this thread )

swmtbr likes this.