Forums Latest Members

Speedy 9300 - hour hand not aligned sometimes

1. steelfish Jul 5, 2018

Hi All,

I've had my 9300 Speedy now for a couple of years, yet only recently spotted something that's pinged my OCD. With this movement you don't get the quick set date function - you get the arguably more useful quick set hour hand (which I personally love for travel).

However in adjusting the hour hand backwards or forwards when I travel I've now spotted some 'play' in the alignment of the hour hand against the hour markers. When the crown is out I can gently move the hour hand a few degrees back and forth. It's still in the right hour, but if I'm not careful and push the crown in when the hour hand is 'forwards' a degree or so - there it will stay. I notice an hour or so later that the hour hand will remain always a degree or so ahead of the indicated hour despite the minute hand being bang on 60. The hour hand is advancing to the correct hour marker properly but just not quite aligned correctly. I need to watch for the next hour and at the appropriate minute readjust the hour hand to the correct alignment. Which is minor annoyance yet it kicks off my OCD.

Hopefully I've explained this correctly.

Is the above behaviour normal for a 9300 watch? My 8900 PO has the quick set hour hand also, yet seems to align properly first time around, everytime.

Edited Jul 5, 2018
  2. teojjsg Jul 5, 2018

Yes. Mine does that as well. I recommend sending it in if still under warranty.

The service center managed to resolve it.

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. steelfish Jul 5, 2018

Ok cheers for that. I'll demo the issue to the AD on saturday when I go in to collect my adjustable clasp ;-) Looking forward to that at least.

4. WurstEver Jul 6, 2018

I haven't noticed this behaviour, but I'll check over the weekend. I know that there are a couple of other forum members who own the 9300 too. I'll be interested to hear what the AD says about it. By the way, good call on getting the adjustable clasp - I've found it to be a terrific addition to an already great watch.

vincentcrh likes this.
  5. steelfish Jul 8, 2018

Well it wasn't a successful trip all in all. The dealer had ordered the wrong bits so no adjustable clasp, and when I showed him the issue with hand alignment I tried to demo it but the hand alignment at the hours I picked was perfect. Aargh.

Now I'm home, I switched out to JPM but I'm still worried about the hands. Watching it closely the hour hand aligns best when it's about 4 minutes to the hour - bang on the hour marker. It also seems to vary throughout the dial, sometimes worse than others. I've attached a pic of it being 30 or so seconds to the hour but the hour hand is already past the hour marker. Am I being overly obsessive about this? This is after I've faffed about and applied a little back pressure as I've set the quick set hour hand i.e. the best case scenario in terms of alignment:

[​IMG]

And here it is a 4 mins to the hour - looks perfectly aligned on the marker to me:

[​IMG]IMG_0600 - hand alignment 2 by The Steelfish, on Flickr

Edited Jul 8, 2018
  6. WurstEver Jul 8, 2018

Sorry to hear that. I checked mine and while there is some play in the hour hand when the crown is out at the quick-set hour position, the hand snaps to the correct position when l push the crown in. From the second photo above - and particularly if it's bothering you, which it seems to be - I think it would be reasonable to send it off to the service centre.

wsfarrell likes this.
  7. steelfish Jul 8, 2018

Ok thanks a lot for taking a look at yours for comparison, appreciate it.

WurstEver likes this.
  8. teojjsg Jul 9, 2018

This issue will be solved at the service center. ADs might not be the best place to demo this. But do be prepared to wait a couple of weeks for the repair.

9. steelfish Jul 10, 2018

Thanks. I'm just waiting on a response from Omega now .

You're right that it's hard to demo, as after careful monitoring I can see now that it's not always miss aligned . Every trip around the dial for the hour hand is different as sometimes the hour hand will hit the marker, next time round it's out. A difficult one to demo and prove, but I'm now comfortable that something is not quite right and I'm not obsessing over nothing

10. steelfish Jul 26, 2018

Looks like I was right to send it in. Service centre say it needs the following (all under warranty). Aside from hands I have no idea what these bits are:

O067WP00061 IT HANDS 1 0.00 GBP
    O7229300A3104601 HOUR WHEEL H1 2.73 1 0.00 GBP
    O7229300A32037 REVERSING WHEEL 1 0.00 GBP
    O7229300A32038 AUXILIARY REVERSING WHEEL 1 0.00 GBP

Can't wait to get it back. Might treat it to a new strap!

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 26, 2018

067WP00061 IT HANDS 1 0.00 GBP - full set of hands

7229300A3104601 HOUR WHEEL H1 2.73 1 0.00 GBP - the hour wheel is the part that the hour hand attaches to, and also what provides the 1 hour incremental adjustment feature - failures of this wheel are not uncommon.

7229300A32037 REVERSING WHEEL 1 0.00 GBP
    7229300A32038 AUXILIARY REVERSING WHEEL 1 0.00 GBP

Last two are reversing wheels in the automatic winding system, so not related to the hand alignment issue and must be showing some other problem.

Cheers, Al

12. steelfish Jul 26, 2018

Thanks Archer, great to get an understanding of what's up. Odd that I never noticed anything wrong with the auto winding system. But better for it to go wrong I'm warranty than out .

13. teojjsg Jul 26, 2018

And do enjoy your watch when it is back. It is a fantastic watch.