Forums Latest Members
  1. Brent Kuz Nov 7, 2013

I bought a speedy pro 861c 1980 model year from eBay. Very trusted seller and a well known omega eBay dealer. i purchased the watch for $1936. Seller claimed all watches were tested and checked prior to sales serviced if needed.

Received the watch. Appears in a good original shape. Slight discoloring on the movement right where it says "861". Lume still has some life and minor patina.

Gave the watch a full 40 turn wind from dead. Never hit the "bump stop" just kept winding. Felt like a broken mainspring. Watch lasted 7hours on wind.

My question is this. Should I have the seller fix it and return it or refund completely. I have both options. The price of $19xx seemed reasonable but I am a little worried over the service history and discolored movement.

Thoughts?

2. ulackfocus Nov 7, 2013

Mainsprings break. It's a subcategory of "Shit happens". Ask the seller to fix it, or ask for a partial refund and have it replaced as part of a full service at a watchmaker you choose.

Tritium, Archer and SpikiSpikester like this.
  3. Brent Kuz Nov 7, 2013

I was a little worried that he said it was serviced and checked prior to sale. $1936 wasn't cheap for the watch either.

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 7, 2013

+1

Tritium and JohnSteed like this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 7, 2013

Are you certain he said it had been fully serviced and not just checked/inspected?

I always factor a service into any chronograph purchase, even if it has been serviced and not just regulated, you have to know that the guy who did it was a quality watchmaker who understands chronographs. That's why when people sell a watch, if its been serviced by Omega, or Al Archer, or someone of that level they include a receipt and factor in a premium for the value that adds.

Mainsprings aren't the end of the world though, I'd just get it serviced properly by someone good at the same time, the piece of mind is worth it.

6. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Nov 7, 2013

Omega will charge you US$300 for a service, ask him to refund some $ to you and get it serviced by them. You will end up with a watch that should go another 10 years no problems.
    If you get your money back and buy another (there are many out there) you will still have to get it serviced or live with the unknown....

7. ulackfocus Nov 7, 2013

I'd bet serious money that 70% of the "Just Serviced!" watches on eBay haven't been serviced for at least a decade. I'd parlay that wager with this follow up: 40% of sellers have no clue what a service truly means.

8. ulackfocus Nov 7, 2013

Oh, and as a related side note - broke the mainspring of my 19th century repeater / chronograph a few days after it was serviced by a VERY qualified watchmaker.

9. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Nov 7, 2013

i`d be more concerned by a discoloured movement......any pics.? maybe not the best example..... kind regards. achim

10. Brent Kuz Nov 7, 2013

image.jpg The ad stated watch was inspected and checked and serviced if needed. I don't think this was the case as first wind the mainspring was broken. Makes me feel something else could be messed up.

Pretty sure I am just going to get a refund.

11. ulackfocus Nov 7, 2013

Probably the safest thing to do. It's not like there aren't other watches around to spend two grand on.

12. Brent Kuz Nov 7, 2013

True probably should hold off and buy my grail watch.

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 7, 2013

What watch is that? 321?

14. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Nov 8, 2013

I know I have said it before (several times) but if it doesn't have a receipt for the service, assume it didn't have one. This applies to any watch that you intend to wear.

Tritium likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 8, 2013

I think Omega is going to charge a lot more than $300 US for servicing a Speedmaster....

16. Brent Kuz Nov 8, 2013

I would say $600 At least for a service. Also this seller is very highly thought of when it comes to omega. he stated the watch was checked and serviced if needed. Which worries me since the mainspring which is an easy check was busted on arrival. So I am wondering what else is wrong.

Watch has been mailed back to sender for a full refund.

17. ulackfocus Nov 8, 2013

Who determine when and what is needed? Sounds like bullshark to me.

Good call. :thumbsup: I don't like this seller's semantics. "if needed"…. rrrrrrriiiiiigggghhhhhhtttttt.

18. Brent Kuz Nov 8, 2013

AP RO 15450 I am not wealthy so trimming the collection will be needed. Already sold me PO XL orange bezel novelty kinda wore off.

Here is the exact quote from the eBay sellers ad. Mind you seller has 8000+ feedback. Believe most to be Japanese pawn shop watches.

image.jpg
  19. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Nov 8, 2013

they charged about 750 $ for a service. Expensive but they did a good job.

20. JohnSteed Nov 17, 2013

Seem that we're the market and should insist on receipt or price in a seller's reluctance or resistance to show service receipts, right?