Forums Latest Members

Speedy 861 Stops Intermittently (Before I send for service...)

1. n-theory Oct 7, 2017

I'm almost embarrassed to post this but I've done a few searches on the site and couldn't find an answer so here goes. My trusty BA145022 which was serviced prior to purchase is getting finicky. In brief, it has begun randomly stopping although its nearly fully wound. It started a few weeks ago when I would wake up in the morning to find it had stopped sometime in the night. At first I'd assumed it just ran down, however when I wound it, it would only take 8-10 turns to be fully wound. Over the last few weeks its happened with more frequency (i.e. once or twice per day), I give it a few turns and it starts up again (but again, it has not run down). Before I bit the bullet and send to my local watchmaker, any ideas or insights as to what might be happening would be appreciated.

~Nick

PS: Full disclosure, after purchase I did have my local watch maker remove the dial/movement (not disassembled) so I could more closely inspect the dial condition. I believe the crown was removed in order to do so. Could this have contributed to the issue?

2. Davidt Oct 7, 2017

Could be the hands catching it they were removed and installed correctly? Does it always stop with the hands in the same position?

3. n-theory Oct 7, 2017

@Davidt I don't think so but I'll watch more closely today. My first thought was that the hands could be catching but this morning it stopped at 9:30 so the hands were quite a ways apart. Unless I'm missing something.

4. Davidt Oct 7, 2017

One of the hands catching on the dial or glass?

5. n-theory Oct 7, 2017

Perhaps. But if so, would winding alone dislodge it? When it does stop, I give it a few turns and it starts up again. What's scaring me a bit is that each time it stops, it takes FEWER winds to be fully wound. I imagine at some point it'll stop when almost fully wound and it won't run at all ::facepalm2::

6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 7, 2017

Your post awakens my inner horological pedant....
    (First - sympathies - I know how bad an underperforming watch can be.)

Serviced before purchase? Ok, but by whom? Unless it is documented and by a skilled technician then it means little.

You give no timings to the events. You bought when, and how long since service has it been before problem?

Is your local watchmaker a skilled person or a battery changer?

My intuitive hunch is that you have a watch that will be entirely restored to function by a service, that it sounds like it needs. Certainly a watch of this value the service cost is a small % of the whole.

I want to say mainspring but I am not a watchmaker - but I have had three speedmasters break the mainspring after an Omega standard service by STS. No fault of theirs, it is Omega policy not to change it unless broken at service. (Archer does recommend changing them at service.).

7. n-theory Oct 7, 2017

Thanks @Spacefruit for the sympathy and the reminder that details matter! I bought the watch about 5-6 weeks ago. It was serviced by the sellers go to guy. I cannot verify the quality of the local service but I did take a few pictures and the movement looked not abused (to my ignorant eyes). It ran fine and kept time. Two weeks after purchase is when I had the dial/movement out and I've noticed the issue since then. My local guy I would describe as skilled and very competent, I've used him for several vintage watches/chronographs in the past. I've never had any problems with his work but never a vintage speedmaster specifically (its my first) so I recognize that could contribute to the issue. I'm loath to send it off for weeks or months to one of the speedy expert services I've read about here (if it turned out to be a simple fix) but as its my first vintage speedy, and my biggest purchase so far, I also want to respect what is required to keep her running well.

8. Canuck Oct 7, 2017

When you stop the chronograph function and continue winding the watch, does it still behave the same? If it misbehaves only when the chronograph functions are operating, that would be a clue. A lot of things happen inside a chronograph when the stop watch functions are operating. Diagnosis will provide answers that “guessing” won’t.

9. n-theory Oct 7, 2017

@Canuck I haven't tested with the chrono running. This happens when watch is being used normally, without running the chronograph. I have run the chrono for several hours when I first received to ensure it worked properly though. Should I try running the chrono to see if it still happens?

10. n-theory Oct 7, 2017

Etp095 likes this.
  11. ChrisN Oct 7, 2017

At 9:30, the hour hand is on top of the continuous running seconds so, they may be touching. If the hour hand is a bit too deep, it could touch any of the sub dial hands so might account for it stopping at different times.

Try setting it to 8:30 and see if it stops over the next hour and a half. Did your Watchmaker remove the hands for you to look at the dial?

Cheers, Chris

12. n-theory Oct 7, 2017

Thanks @ChrisN No, my watch maker never removed the hands. He took the whole movement/dial out so I could examine and take a few photos. Crown was removed too. I'll reset to 8:30 and watch closely for hands touching.

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 7, 2017

Obviously it was a bad purchase. Cut your losses I'll give you 10 bucks for it, I'll even cover shipping;)

14. n-theory Oct 7, 2017

@Foo2rama Absolutely. Just let me know your SSN and bank account info and I'll get it right to you :)

Foo2rama likes this.
  15. WhatYourWatchSay Oct 7, 2017

I'm not a professional watch repairer but to me it looks like the sellers go to guy replaced the gasket, maybe oiled the pivots and that's about it. I would expect to see that movement gleaming after a proper cleaning.

Timelab and Spacefruit like this.
  16. n-theory Oct 7, 2017

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  17. n-theory Oct 28, 2017

Just wanted to close the loop an thanks all for the advice. Finally able to get to the watchmaker and had the hand reset. Hasn't stopped since. Thanks again for all the advice. ;)

ChrisN and WhatYourWatchSay like this.
  18. WhatYourWatchSay Oct 28, 2017

All's well that ends well :)

19. n-theory Nov 2, 2017

Yes....and now ladies and gentlemen, a very expensive way to learn that your movement was swapped some time in the past. Sigh ::facepalm1::

IMG_7437.JPG
  20. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 2, 2017

I am sorry, but I'm a bit slow today... What am I missing here? 861, '69 caseback, '69 build...

Taddyangle likes this.