Forums Latest Members
  1. kox Jan 4, 2016

A little story to share – about a recent acquisition: my birthday watch.
    And if you hate these stories, but like the 145.022-69 with the 220 bezel, then skip the long and windy intro ;-)

I’ve been enjoying and collecting watches, primarily Omega, for over 10 years now. The thought of a birthday watch never really interested me that much. Yes, at first it was a nice thought, but the more experience I got, the more distant the thought became. Why?
    Well, there are many definitions of a birthday watch. Is it the date the watch was sold (stamped warranty card)?, is it the year stamped into the caseback (if any)?, is it the year the watch was first introduced to the market?, is it the year that starts with a certain (perceived) serial range or is it the day it was produced (finally assembled)?
    To me it’s the latter. The date of the actually final assembly of the watch, the whole watch, in the factory.

I was born on the 5th of January 1971
    When I first thought of it, I knew it had to be a watch I would love and buy even if it wasn’t a birthday watch. And the first choice would have to be Omega (also because Omega is among the few manufactures who actually offers confirmation on production date!). The second choice: sportswatch. There were no nice dress watches in the early 70’s IMO. So either a diver or a chronograph.
    My collection target has become the SM300’s, but production ceased in 1970, so a no-go and other candidates like the Ploprof was later. The Speedmasters was next and the most obvious on the list. I have and have had quite a lot of them. Never collected them as such, but love them and they are some of my most used daily drivers. Among others the DSoTM, the x-33, a ’89 moonwatch with the 1450 bracelet, The holy grail, Mr. Ed White etc.
    Yep, no clear collectors target here :)

So whats the problem? A lot of moon watches were produced around 1971 after the moon landing hype. Yes, but how to find THE one from January 1971 and as close to the 5th as possible? Back in the day, the serial ranges and dates of the references was somewhat fluffy. The great Maddox i.e. stated that serial range from 33.x to be 1971 as did Omega themselves. The old speedmaster-mission site and the Roman Hartmann one states 30.x. The same with some of the old speedmaster books like “A time capsule”, Omega Sage/AJTT, “The Master of Omega” etc.
    And we knew that these ranges was/could be off by 1-3 years or more. I would of course need that confirmation from the source. An extract of the archieves from Omega in Bienne was and is the only way to confirm production date. But it was and is costly and the chances of finding a moon watch for sale with the extract was at that time not so common. So it would simply be a matter of to many hit and misses even if I knew that it properly would have to be a 145.022-69 or -71.

And with that in mind, I put the idea of a birthday watch on hold for some years.

Then I bought the MWO book when it was published (Great btw!) and the idea got refuelled. Especially the information regarding the type B2bis bezel aka “220 misprint” and more specific when it was produced/ in what serial range. When the authors updated the information confirming that the bezel was seen on serials up to 31.008.x and produced INTO January 1971, I was sold and started hunting. First off doing my usual research. Found as many examples of the 145.022-69 as possible, some with extracts, some with 220 bezels and narrowed the serial range down. After some months I knew that my best chances would be as indicated in MWO and by the author here. Serial between 30.99x. and 31.008.x, with the emphasis on the latter ones.
    @speedy4ever thank you for a great book and for doing the inspiring research behind it. I would properly not have managed it without it

The live hunt.
    The ones with the 220 bezel are rare, but actually not THAT rare. I found a handful for sale within a periode of 6 months or so. Most were however in the low serial range and was not in a condition to my liking. These 145.022-69’s often have missing, crumbling or very darkened lume on both hands and especially dials. So not so easy. Finally I found one I was happy with and in late serial range. I tried my luck, bought it and got it home. It was no safe queen, but in a nice original condition with a very nice 220 bezel. I got the extract home and production was confirmed as 15 january. So 10 days after my birthday. Close, and I was quite happy. But I keept looking and in the second attempt, I hit the bull’s-eye (well, as close as I think I can get without going bankrupt :rolleyes: )

Some might have guessed it by now. A 145.022-69 with 220 bezel, produced on the 4th of January 1971. The day before my birthday..

I like to think that it’s better with the 4th instead of the 5th. I was born late in the morning. Around 11 a.m. (born in Denmark, the same timezone as Bienne) and by then the quality manager at the factory would not had been ready to stamp it good for delivery. So it should be produced the day before, late afternoon, sooo….:)

Enough rambling. Here’s the 45 year old baby. Just cleaned and checked by my watchmaker. No service needed. And returned just in time to the birthday presentention in my favorite forum.

First off – the cradle of life
    The one and only crater box;-) Correct for the reference and serial. In pretty nice condition.

20160103_133541.jpg

The baby
    45 years have left some scares on the case. Nothing major and the caseback is very clean, deep engravings and without major dings or scratches. Hands have clearly been changed to a newer set. A bit to white to my liking, but since the lume on the dial still is creamy and only very little on the yellow side, they will stay on. And the stepped dial is unmarked with original lume, a bit crumbled, but still present and nice IMO.

20160103_135011.jpg

20160103_135052.jpg

20160103_140121.jpg

Born with a charming fault
    Enough said. 220 bezel without major scratches or dings…or fall-offs

20160103_135419.jpg

The heart
    Wish my heart was that clean ;-) With the correct early steel brake. Ticks away happily with only plus minus 1 sec. a day!! Swings well and it also passed pressure test without problems. Properly newer crown and pushers and crystal – but again could be original or early replacements, as they were the same types. As a semi purist I would be more troubled if they were replaced on an earlier reference. Well, good for a daily wearer anyway!

s3.jpg

The evidence from the mother
    The money shot. All matching numbers (yes, also the blanked out. Sorry, just carful here) and that production date

s2.jpg

The original bracelet
    Correct 1039 with 516 endlinks and clasp stamped 1/71 ;-)

20160103_142423.jpg

Some original accessories.
    Have a quite rare original Omega rallye strap fra the early 70’s and matching buckle. These were an option for the Speedmasters among others. Have enough watches on bracelet, so this went on for now.

20160103_151453.jpg

The baby papers.
    Came with correct warranty card. Sold the year after. Also in January. In the U.S. Virgin Islands!?!? Extract states delivery to Germany. Hmmm.
    My theory: the card states that is was sold by A.H. Riise giftshop in St. Thomas
    A.H. Riise (www.ahriise.com) still exsists today and still sells watches and other duty free goods. They are Omega A.D. today, but back then? Did they have to import/buy the watches from a dealer in Germany because of some export/import restrictions or…? Guess so. If anybody knows something on the matter, I would appreciate any input.

BTW: A. H. Riise started in 1838 as an official Apothecary in St. Thomas. The founder was a Dane and at that time the Islands actually was owned by Denmark. Yes, back in our impiral days ::shy::. And one of my forefathers was in fact governor of St. Thomas. So somehow the circle is complete. But that’s another story. Denmark sold the lot to the U.S. in 1917 for 25 million$ and the store was also sold off to the family that owns it now.

s1.jpg

20160103_145314.jpg

20160103_145106.jpg

If you got this far. Thanks for “listening” to a happy rambling man

Edited Jan 5, 2016
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 4, 2016

Now that's a happy birthday! Happy Birthday!

kox likes this.
  3. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jan 4, 2016

Nice watch. Nicer story!

Edit: Now that all the photos have been uploaded. Awesome watch. Nicer Story!

Edited Jan 4, 2016
    kox likes this.
  4. Pahawi Jan 4, 2016

Very cool Kim - congrats and Happy Birthday:thumbsup:

Dannebrog_3[1].jpg

kox likes this.
  5. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Jan 4, 2016

Happy birthday. Cool story. Great watch. :D

kox likes this.
  6. kox Jan 4, 2016

7. kox Jan 4, 2016

Thanks...yes, sorry about the slow picture upload. I'm getting old :D

8. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jan 4, 2016

I believe I know a close relative.

Serial #310030xx
    image.jpeg

9. Pahawi Jan 4, 2016

Btw, DIBS on the rallye strap :p

kox likes this.
  10. kox Jan 4, 2016

... and a very very nice one. Could be fun to see the production day. Mine is just about 700 above, soo.....if it's the 5th of january, you know your buyer :whistling:

11. marturx Jan 4, 2016

You took the concept of birth year watch to another level! Congrats to that, and have a Happy Birthday! :)

It's a really nice set you got there. To be looked after to the next generation.

My 145.022-69, 220 is a 30,9 serial, so manufactured in late 1970 thus

kox likes this.
  12. mozambique Jan 4, 2016

Just a goddamn fantastic watch and story!

13. abrod520 Jan 4, 2016

My 220 is a 30.9 serial, November 1970 as well. Love seeing these!

14. alfanator Jan 4, 2016

Cool! Now I need to go hunt one from June 1970. Got to go research that SN range.

15. alam Jan 4, 2016

wow! Congrats on a great find! Enjoy and Happy Birthday!

P.S. That Rally strap is really some super cool icing on the cake!

kox likes this.
  16. Ludi Jan 5, 2016

What a cool story :thumbsup: .... many thanks for sharing.... and happy birthday !!! \o/

17. tdn-dk Jan 5, 2016

Stort tillykke Kim!!!

18. kox Jan 5, 2016

Tak Thomas...
    ...and thank you all, for the greetings. It was and is of course still on the wrist today.
    20160105_080831.jpg

And for those who like that rally strap ...::love::
    20160103_151408.jpg
    20160103_143915.jpg

Pahawi likes this.
  19. PatrickJ Jan 5, 2016

Happy birthday

20. Slevin kelevra Jan 5, 2016

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

Liking that Rallye strap!