Forums Latest Auctions Members
  1. cwindham

cwindham May 22, 2016

its been a fairly quick introduction into the world of vintage speedys for me. 6 months ago, I was offered a Speedmaster 145.022-69 for a very reasonable price but I turned it down. 2 weeks later I get a PM stating he came down in price and I could not pass it up.
    I did as much research as possible during the next 2 days, finding out what a replica looks like, service costs, etc.... I finally pulled the trigger knowing it needed a service as the watch only ran for 30-40 seconds.
    Once I received the watch, I began looking for a local watchmaker. Where I live in Louisiana it is next to impossible but I found a reputable watchmaker in New Orleans. He was not overly sympathetic to vintage watches but he got it running and swapped hands(wrong hands). I currently have the original hands and will fit them soon but overall I am happy with my watch.
    The service cost me more than the watch itself.

Keep in mind, I do know the hands are wrong and will be replaced soon.
    I just wanted to give a brief summary of my journey along with some pics.

Thanks for the advice along the way,
    Chris

1st day after purchase, my very 1st vintage speedy. The watch is in the 29,xxx,xxx range so the dial is turning brown. Watch has been running great.
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Original hands that will be fitted soon image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg
    Giff2577, Jacquot, GregH and 4 others like this.
  2. gemini4

gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed May 22, 2016

The replacement hour and minute hands are incorrect for your watch. Why not just reinstall the original (correct) hands?

Holma20 and cwindham like this.
  3. sky21

sky21 May 22, 2016

Well, going back to your original thread about this watch, I'll say again that the price you paid for this is truly incredible!! When you get those horrible hands off of there and the originals back on, that will be a spectacular early, DON, slightly brown dialed, 69 speedy. Even with all the money you spent on the service it'll easily be worth nearly triple what you've spent on it. Great purchase!!

Baz9614 and cwindham like this.
  4. cwindham

cwindham May 22, 2016

I am but I need to bring it in to someone.

5. cwindham

cwindham May 22, 2016

Yes it is SKY, I still cannot believe I own a vintage speedy for that price. Now I just have to get the hands replaced but I just don't want to let it go again.
    I know it shouldn't take long to replace the hands.
    Soon, soon, soon!!!!!

6. sky21

sky21 May 22, 2016

Yeah, with a competent watchmaker, I don't know, 30 minutes tops??

7. cwindham

cwindham May 22, 2016

That's what my watchmaker said as well but since he is in New Orleans and I'm 45 minutes away it makes it difficult. I hate going into New Orleans unless I absolutely have too! Too many statistics right now!

bravojonybravo likes this.
  8. sky21

sky21 May 22, 2016

Statistics?? Like mean, median, standard deviation, probability curves, things like that?

9. gemini4

gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed May 22, 2016

My son attended Tulane in Nola and we always enjoyed, and still enjoy, visiting Nola. Crime is no major issue provided you keep out of certain areas, especially at night , if you are wearing your gold Presidential.

10. Baz9614

Baz9614 May 22, 2016

Congrats! Beautiful dial! :thumbsup:

cwindham likes this.
  11. cwindham

cwindham May 22, 2016

Crime

12. sky21

sky21 May 22, 2016

Ah, got it, no argument there. I've spent some time in NOLA and it is important to pick your spots.

cwindham likes this.
  13. cwindham

cwindham May 22, 2016

I personally have never had an issue with crime either but the places that used to be safe or crime free are becoming worse and worse by the day.
    You used to be able to walk down the river without fear of being mugged, not anymore. Bourbon street is filled with tourists, thugs and pickpockets now during Mardi Gras.

I got a speeding ticket there one day going 65 in a 55 on the interstate and it cost me 800$
    The place is corrupt.

rickdoss likes this.
  14. robocaspar

robocaspar May 22, 2016

Congrats on the pickup!

cwindham likes this.
  15. Interstellar

Interstellar May 23, 2016

Nice Tropical dial!

cwindham likes this.
  16. cwindham

cwindham Jun 15, 2016

Movement after a service. Cleaned up nicely compared to the before photos when it was not running.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

sky21 likes this.
  17. sky21

sky21 Jun 15, 2016

Any update on the original hands being reinstalled to complete the transformation?? That's the last piece of the puzzle to come together right?

18. cwindham

cwindham Jun 15, 2016

Sky, the watch is at the watchmaker getting a new crystal fitted(certified omega part), original hands installed, and the chrono issue sorted out. I should have it back next weekend when he is back in Slidell(where i live).

That SHOULD be it.... the story continues until i provide pics right?

sky21 likes this.
  19. cwindham

cwindham Jul 16, 2016

Latest Update on my Speedy. It's been through a lot and has been "In the Shop" longer than I have owned it but it is coming together nicely. I will post more pictures when I have a chance.

For those that do not know, I purchased this watch for under a grand and I put a grand into it and here are the results so far. I just had the original hands placed back on it and makes it look so much better. Crystal replaced with Omega logo genuine part. Chrono issue sorted out and running like a champ.
    I will take better photos under controlled conditions with clear close ups.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg
  20. Baz9614

Baz9614 Jul 16, 2016

Nice job! !:thumbsup:

cwindham likes this.