Forums Latest Members
  1. Poday Oct 6, 2013

Hello everyone,

Just curious, what's the story with the dial on this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-OMEGA-...971317696?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item2ecad2f1c0Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I'm familiar with the mirror dial, but this one seems to have a different style (looks like someone took sandpaper to it). For the record, I'm not considering this piece (the fact that it clearly has the wrong bracelet, but the seller is rather vague about this fact is enough for me to stay far away), but I'm really curious about the dial. As much as the mirror dial is beautiful to look at, it's a difficult watch to read at a glance at times. Is this dial just a mirror dial with an optical illusion?

2. webvan Oct 7, 2013

That' what you would call "crazing" for some reason, a really bad case of crazing too!

3. Poday Oct 8, 2013

I had a feeling that was the case, but I've seen it on more than one example, so I thought it might have been an alternative option.

While ile I don't like the look of it, I sort of understand. The mirror dial makes it a little tough to see the time at a glance, maybe defacing it helps? Who knows.

4. webvan Oct 8, 2013

It's more "decay" than "defacing", a bit like the "tropical" dials...The time is indeed a bit hard to read on these Speedsonics, not necessarily because of the dial but because the hour and minute hands are pretty thin and short.