Forums Latest Members

speedmasters....what is it that makes people rave about them

1. lillatroll Mar 30, 2015

l know that it is an important watch. I know it has history. I know many people have one or want one but I just don't care about them and could care less about owning one. Do other forum members feel the same or does everyone else like them?

2. micampe Mar 30, 2015

I was not super excited about them but hanging out around here is quickly fixing that.

oddboy likes this.
  3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 30, 2015

Welcome to the Omega Forum. Home to some of the most proficient speedmaster collectors.

There is no accounting for taste. You either lie something or you don't and that does not qualify you, or in this case the speedmaster, in any way.

I own a speedmaster, nothing fancy, just the hematite modern pro version. I find it a classic proven design that works well for any occasion. It is well design and has proven to be reliable and durable.

From a collectors perspective you have of course the historic iterations of the watch. Looks aside there are a limited amount of historic watches and this is one of them. Perhaps over hipped, or over marketed, but none the less relevant to horology lore.

If I may ask, what watches do get your attention?, are you a diver watch fan, dress, luxury, wall clocks?

Geo! likes this.
  4. marturx Mar 30, 2015

I think OP fancy drivers watches :)

At least he did last time I checked. The Bullhead is not for everyone, when the Speedmaster appeals to a much broader audience

lillatroll likes this.
  5. lillatroll Mar 30, 2015

love the watches from the 60 site and early 70s I have a chronostop driver a seamaster chronograph with rotating bezel an omega dynamic and a geneva megahertz. I am in the process of getting a seamaster 200 with banana dial. I want a flight master and a bullhead and I might buy a Schumacher in yellow With yellow strap.

6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 30, 2015

Great mix!! So obviously you have a defined taste and the spm doesn't fit into it. I have an issue with other pilot watches like the brietling lines where the dial is too cluttered, I like simple. I do wear my divers more than I do the speedy, but I enjoy it on my wrist.

7. lillatroll Mar 30, 2015

Don't get me wrong I think it is a timeless design and I can understand that it can be used for any occasion but I don't think it has any wow factor to it. Perhaps that's what people want.

8. i20rider Mar 30, 2015

The first time I ever saw one. I fell in love. Then after I learned of its historical significance. I knew one day I would get one. It was my dream watch for years. I now own one. And it does not disappoint.

Sometimes you have feelings like this for a piec and Sometimes you don't. It's just the way it is

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 30, 2015

Perhaps. Most often the "wow" factor is the most temporary and susceptible to fashion change. Most things that have that Punch are seen as obsolete fashions within a few years or sometimes months (this may be the case with the schumaker in yellow which is not a subtle statement at all), while the most iconic pieces tend to be simple in configuration and more universal and timeless. And then there are the less popular odd balls that are never fashionable, but always likes by a minority and timeless on their own unique configuration. Some of you watches my fall into that category like the chronostop or the bullhead and depending on what Geneva megahertz you have. Those watches have a less universal but equally strong design that does not loose it's appeal, but doesn't apply to a majority of uses either. The Classic Speedmaster Pro is simply itself. identifiable, reliable and simply designed to the most classic proportions and symmetry, it is easy to see how it has become an iconic piece for half a century.

You have a unique and bold taste obviously. I would love watches like the schumaker but i would probably only wear them once in a blue (or yellow) moon If I'm biking on the Tour de France on a leotard, or racing on a car at Nascar or on a bike monist or maybe on a yacht with an equally stunning tan and girl....but none of those are part of my lifestyle so it's a hard sell to me...but that is the whole point on having variety right?

Edited Mar 30, 2015
  10. lillatroll Mar 30, 2015

I think the railmaster and ranchero are a master class in simple elegance along with the sm300. I would like one of these too. The great thing about omega watches is that they have something for everyone.

gophishin likes this.
  11. imexian Mar 30, 2015

Bloody hell Nobel, you are on something strong, or your spell checker is broken....:) i agree with all you put though, and there is definitely something about the speedy thats gets a pull on you, the early ones, 1960-67 even more...don't ask me why?
    ian

12. E-diddy Mar 30, 2015

To each his own. That's what makes collecting exciting. All Speedmasters used to look the same to me (I was mainly browsing online). When I saw a straight lug "pre-moon" in person, I fell in love. Such a beauty; perfect size on my wrist.

13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 30, 2015

I think Sergio said it. It's a simple, classic design. A highly functional tool watch that looks great.

I was all over the map until I found the speedy. It was a bit surreal, but it was the watch I always wanted, even before I knew I wanted it.

Here's a couple..

IMG_20150329_102350_edit.jpg

I agree that railmaster and ranchero are the ultimate in simplicity as well. The ultimate trifecta though would be 2913, 2914, 2915. I can dream, but I don't think I'll ever own any of those..

JohnSteed likes this.
  14. imexian Mar 30, 2015

your right, they are the perfect size, so much right about them, the new watches are much too big for a start, unless you have wrists like the hulk!!

15. Bienne2998 Mar 30, 2015

For me it wasn't love at first sight, but then it won my attention and now it's addiction!
    for me there's no other classic chronograph that after 60 years still looks that attractive.
    especially the vintage ones are really great with different signs of ageing..... i could look at them all day...
    ...maybe that's why I own quite a bunch of them.....and wear them all.

$_60.jpg

16. imexian Mar 30, 2015

yep, wearing is the good bit, no point in stuffing them away! less than a year ago i thought a Tag F1 was great, now i have a few speedies its like, well i look at watch first, then check time....::facepalm2:: sad is it not!!::shy::

Frunkinator and oddboy like this.
  17. lillatroll Mar 30, 2015

I have a tag F1, a 1991 chronograph, Its my daily beater. I had one when I was a kid but it got stolen, then I found one on ebay and I love it because it reminded me of being a kid again.

18. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 30, 2015

Buy a Moon Watch Only book. I included a couple of shots along with the two Speedmasters I own.

I would love a third.

It has already been covered why we love them above. But for me, the main reason was the history associated with the watch, the fact that the watch is almost unchanged in 40+ years and value.

However, I am afraid that the value is soon to be off that list. Prices seem to have gone mad lately.

IMG_20150213_135552.jpg IMG_20150213_135427.jpg

19. imexian Mar 30, 2015

Yea, shame it's pricing itself out of most normal collecters reach, it's speculators that are driving the price up unfortunately, not genuine guys that want to wear them.....:(

20. imexian Mar 30, 2015

Maybe I'm part of the problem....but at least I keep and wear.....not looking to sell for a profit!!!

Prange and oddboy like this.