Forums Latest Members
  1. tyrantlizardrex Apr 28, 2017

Coming to terms with the fact that I cannot, sensibly afford to buy any of the Apollo era Speedmasters... which is fine... I'm more of a Shuttle kinda guy anyway.

So being born in 1981, 4 days before STS-1 was launched, I started wondering which model of Speedmaster John Young and Robert Crippen wore.

The Speedmaster was recertified in '72 and '78 so I was thinking... a 1970s 145.022 of one flavour or another.

The only picture I can find from STS-1 of Young, or Crippen wearing a Speedmaster, is this one... which looks to have an applied logo... do you think this was just John Young's Speedmaster from earlier missions?

tumblr_okzugdXXLA1vzb1n7o1_1280.jpg

Anyone have any insight into what Crippen wore?

Edited Apr 28, 2017
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 28, 2017

SpeedyPhill and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  3. Rman Apr 28, 2017

Sensibility and watch collecting, novel concept.

Paedipod, Jwit, oddboy and 1 other person like this.
  4. tyrantlizardrex Apr 28, 2017

I have a spreadsheet... there is a budget... there is cash in, and cash out... so far, it's all been pretty sensible ;)

5. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 28, 2017

I watched that mission launch live. Well I watched it from T +5s because my primary school teacher cocked up and switched the telly on late.

God Speed Columbia.

Greatoldone and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  6. TLIGuy Apr 29, 2017

I believe the watch you see is possibly a watch worn earlier by Young during his Apollo days. That said, the curator of the NASM does not have a record of Young's watch being loaned back to him for STS-1 and watch in the image is also missing a pusher cap which I find odd if it was a watch checked and issued by NASA for the flight.

Crippen, oddly enough, does not wear a watch on STS-1.

EDIT -

Young's watch also has a flat end chronograph hand. @SpeedyPhill has a nice picture of the watch from another angle that shows the watch better.

Crippen is observed wearing an unidentified watch during the launch day breakfast and the walk over to the suit up room. While suiting up Crippen is no longer wearing a watch on either his wrist or suit.

3125855232_4fbd792904_b.jpg

Edited Apr 29, 2017
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 29, 2017

There's a documentary series that covers really well STS-1 called "The Space Age NASA's Story" episode 3, its actually pretty hilarious the interviews with Young and his deadpan sense of humour about it all.

He's asked about when he found out about the shuttle going ahead and being funded and where he was at the time and goes "well actually yea I remember getting told about it while I was on the surface of the moon" like its nothing. Then Crippen's like nervous and a bit scared before the flight and Young's just got ice water in his veins and goes "If you're so worried you can't think about what your procedures are you're dead anyway" which was his rationale for not being scared. And he goes "It had ejection seats but wouldn't say they would have been a lot of fun bailing out into the 5000 degree rocket plumes, it'd have made you a crispy critter".

There's another good one that covers it too and interviews them both called "When we left earth" Part 5, even better interviews, with Young about how many of the engines kept blowing up in testing. Crippen talks again about how nervous he was in the countdown and Young goes (about Crippen) "I didn't ever ask him if he was nervous. I never thought of that. Should I have thought of that?".

Footage in both shows them and their watches frequently, great to watch.

8. TLIGuy Apr 29, 2017

Indeed these are both great and the latter one even better for getting a good sense of Young's sense of humor.

I think this clip captures it best....

Edited Apr 29, 2017
    t_swiss_t, BrianMcKay, AAAKK and 3 others like this.
  9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 29, 2017

There was I thinking STS-1 was the new name for the "Simon Freese era " at Swiss Time and that STS-2 was the "Leona Coe " era.

I digress.

I love thes moon stories.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 29, 2017

Thats another brilliant one lol. There's also the corned beef sandwich thing, quote from wikipedia:

Apparently afterwards he had a corned beef sandwich carefully encased in glass as a paperweight on his desk and was adamant that he'd do it again and be the first man to eat a corned beef sandwich on the moon.

You can just imagine Grissom about to eat his Gemini era NASA issue slop when John turns to him and just says "Well you could have that but I'm having a corned beef sandwich instead".

11. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Apr 29, 2017

ahartfie, AAAKK and Archer like this.
  12. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Apr 29, 2017

That heretic!!!!!

TLIGuy likes this.
  13. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 29, 2017

Not a shuttle but I spent seven minutes this evening watching the ISS passing over south east Queensland. I did wave but I don't think they noticed.

sxl2004, ahartfie, BrianMcKay and 5 others like this.
  14. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Apr 29, 2017

Ahh... an interesting digression for me @Spacefruit.
    Can I ask? Is Leona Coe the person who has taken over from Simon Freese? I only ask because I'm curious to know who, at STS, is responsible for making sure my old Speedmaster (which I presume is still in bits) is put back together nicely.:)
    Sorry Chris... back to Space Transportation System-1
    Space shuttle and it's associated watches are a great choice... I reckon there's a time4apint podcast episode waiting to be developed there.:thumbsup:

Edited Apr 29, 2017
  15. TLIGuy Apr 30, 2017

I'm only doing this because I want to be the first person to post a picture of a corned beef sandwich in a watch forum.

7524111380_2b4baeceda_k.0.0.jpg

The corned beef sandwich, embedded in acrylic, is on display at the Grissom Memorial Museum in Mitchell, Indiana.

bdatki, khanmu, nlogax and 8 others like this.
  16. BrianMcKay Apr 30, 2017

John Young was awesome.

17. tyrantlizardrex Apr 30, 2017

Nope - Simon was the workshop manager, Leona is front desk/front of house.

You'll likely speak to her on the phone, she's lovely, she is not responsible for running the workshop.

They have a highly skilled team of watchmakers over there who will be working on, and then running QA - I'm sure Leona wouldn't mind me saying that she's not one them!

Spacefruit likes this.
  18. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 30, 2017

When STS send you an estimate for work, it is likely it will come from Leona.

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  19. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Apr 30, 2017

Ahhh Thankyou Chris. Actually now you've clarified that I'm pretty sure I've spoken to her but not been aware of her name. I think, with regard to technicians and my Omega watch, Tony mentioned a chap by the name of Lee. Not met him yet but I'm sure he's a 1st class watchmaker.

Back to this thread: A 1981 birth year Speedmaster with a connection to the Space Transportation System is a great idea and maybe you could further explore this with a podcast celebrating post-moon, 861 movement watches and their use by NASA. ???(Just thinking aloud)

Anyway, I was born, with the 2915-1 Speedmaster, in 1957 so the chances of me ever even clapping eyes on a birth year speedy are a lot slimmer than yours! :D

TLIGuy likes this.
  20. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Apr 30, 2017

It occurs to me that the shuttle program launched a mere 20 years after NASA first put a man in space. Thirty five years after that and NASA can't even put a man in space.::facepalm1::

Edited Apr 30, 2017
    BrianMcKay likes this.