Forums Latest Members

Speedmasters? Like, who cares?

1. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Oct 3, 2018

That’s all well and good but do any Speedy wearers understand what the three extra dials, two extra buttons and the complex bezel are for, let alone use them in any meaningful way?
    (I have to admit that, lost as I am in a world of 60s/70s sun burst dials, I don’t have a clue what they’re for) :(

2. Canuck Oct 3, 2018

From the sound of it, you’d have a devil of a time trying to understand a Rolex GMT Master II. Or would you?

3. watchos Oct 3, 2018

I've swallowed my words multiple times when it comes to watches. Never say never again. Things I said I would never like or buy....months or years later, I ended up doing. I am not like that on any other area.

Btw, now that winter is almost here, I've seriously considered wearing a mechanical one on my left hand and the apple watch on my right. Why winter? Cause with long sleeves people would hardly notice :D.

Edited Oct 3, 2018
    Spruce and mydeafcat like this.
  4. lillatroll Oct 3, 2018

I too was one of those who could not understand the hooha over speedmaster. Then one day in the airport, I saw one in a display case, alone perfectly placed in the centre of it's space, and it's perfectly balanced design stood out and hit me smack in the chops. Had to have one after that. Luckily I have only succumbed to three, two Speedy Tuesdays and a 1989 Apollo numbered Ltd edition.
    I think reading all the speedy content on OF also seeps into your subconscious, maybe there is a Dr Evil on here who bends everyone round to the speedy way of thinking. My money is on Dennis, wanted to keep everyone else away from the good stuff so he could bag it for a bargain.

Kmart, Spruce, murph and 3 others like this.
  5. kov Trüffelschwein. Oct 4, 2018

6. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Oct 4, 2018

Sorry if I’ve offended any Speedy devotees with my earlier post. An object lesson for me not to post from the hip at 2.30 am, after getting home from a stressful evening.
    Mea culpa.

mydeafcat likes this.
  7. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Oct 4, 2018

Yup, three hands good, four hands ????

kkt likes this.
  8. ddurham Oct 4, 2018

If you ask me the subdials are too close together, too close to the centre, looks like a cramped dial caused by movement that´s too small for the case. Good thing we´re all different.

vbrad26 likes this.
  9. ext1 Oct 4, 2018

A similar thing happened to me with 5513 and 1675. I used to be primarily speedy guy. I used to be like, eh, who cares? But then!!!! This forum....this forum!! (plus the experience of putting on an actual 5513...) and now I'm smitten by vintage Rolex. Oh no....down the rabbity rabbit hole I go...

10. Baz9614 Oct 4, 2018

Seriously??? Did I just read through an entire thread without seeing one pic of the subject matter??

08375A06-8458-47D0-9889-AEEBB8504633.jpeg

11. vbrad26 Oct 4, 2018

[​IMG]

=

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

=

[​IMG]

OneTwo, Mmike1357, gdupree and 6 others like this.
  12. ddurham Oct 4, 2018

Something between the 2 would be just about right, and the size of the Reduced without the modular movement, oh and with 2 subdials not 3. Actually, give me a different watch altogether, guess they're just not my cup of tea.

Waltesefalcon and vbrad26 like this.
  13. ras47 Oct 4, 2018

While a huge Omega fan for many decades, I too eschewed the Speedmaster in favor of the more traditional (?!) Seamaster dive watch. No water resistance to speak of, at least not from a diver's perspective. Extra buttons protruding from the side of the Speedmaster always seemed fragile to me. Speedmaster? Bah!

Then I rediscovered my love of the Space Program and NASA. Looked into the history of the Speedmaster and decided it warranted another look. Ironically, it took me straying away from the Omega brand to get my grail watch, the Rolex GMT Master II "Pepsi", to break the Seamaster habit and buy a Speedy. What clinched it for me was the emergence of the automatic co-axial model. Bigger, no manual winding, and a date window. All my excuses vanished like smoke, and I was able to look at the Speedmaster with new eyes. Turns out I love the legibility and overall style, plus the chronograph is a spiffing feature. I'm in!
    SpeedyCoAx1.jpg

14. mydeafcat Oct 4, 2018

It’s been exactly 369 days since I joined OF. Of all the online groups I might have joined, I had to find the one guaranteed to undermine my already dodgy retirement plans.

Rational thinker: Is this a want, or a need?
    Me: Are you suggesting there is a difference?

murph likes this.
  15. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 4, 2018

Me: oooh, shiney!

20180303_191644~2.jpg

jimmyd13, Longbow, kkt and 5 others like this.
  16. Canuck Oct 4, 2018

Think of all the ways you could divest yourself of discretionary dollars, and end up with nothing to show for it! I quit smoking 39 years ago. I have spent less on my watch collection than I would have spent, had I continued the nasty habit, That is only one example of wasting discretionary dollars. I am sure each of us could come up with other examples.

kkt likes this.
  17. mydeafcat Oct 4, 2018

Me: Look, Honey! This nice man on OF is considerably more afflicted with this strange malady than I. And here is his 12 step program to wellness. :rolleyes:

oddboy and murph like this.
  18. WatchVaultNYC Oct 4, 2018

This is my kinda guy. A fortune in Speedys hiding in a cheap-ass box :thumbsup:

OneTwo, Dedalus05, kkt and 5 others like this.
  19. murph Oct 4, 2018

oddboy and mydeafcat like this.
  20. mydeafcat Oct 4, 2018

Oh! You've seen my snare drum, cymbal and (Lord forgive me) shoe collection, I see. The latter is thinning as I consult from home now, which pays considerably less yet allows more time on my - here we go again - road bicycles (more capital outlay - I'm beginning to see your point).

Nice work on quitting smoking. I was the only one of my group who never started smoking (er, cigarettes, that is) back in high school. I remember my friends spending $.75/a pack (corner store in Haysboro!) and thinking how much this will cost over 20 years, long before the cost of smokes became nothing short of extortion.

Perhaps I should move home after 25 years in Lotusland and take a second job shoveling driveways....

Redbirdsfan70 likes this.