Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Z-33 losing analog time

1. jtmoore Oct 29, 2019

An Omega Speedmaster/Spacemaster with a fresh battery (renata CR2450N) installed is losing time on the analog display only, the digital portion stays correct. When I reset synchronization it losses time pretty quickly. I bought the battery on amazon and suspect it maybe old. any thoughts?

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 29, 2019

There should be an expiry date on the battery package:

Expiry Date.JPG

In this case January of 2018. I recommend buying batteries only from locations with very high stock turnover.

However I'm not convinced this is related to the battery age. I'm assuming you changed this yourself? Did you put the watch in the battery change mode before removing the old battery? Did you position the contact spring in the battery insulator opening?

3. jtmoore Oct 29, 2019

my battery package was marked 0426 so i'm assuming it should be fine because the answer to your question is yes i did this myself and nope had no idea there was a battery change mode, but i did correctly position the spring insulator opening.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 29, 2019

Well, at this point I think you will have to take it in to Omega to have them diagnose what the issue is. Although changing a batter seems like a simple thing to do, it's not always the case. These watches in particular have more things that can go wrong compared to a simple analog quartz watch, so I don't consider this one a DIY job.

All it takes is a small spec of something from the case back dropping into the movement, a slip of something damaging a coil, incorrect procedures, and things can go wrong.

Cheers, Al

5. jtmoore Oct 29, 2019

Thanks Al,
    Bummer, i will add that it was doing to same thing before i changed the battery. Thanks Al