Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster / water resistance

1. Russell Phillips Dec 3, 2014

I've got it!! It's at home though, so will post pics next day or so on here thanks for the interest.

2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 6, 2014

That's the combo I chose, one speedy, one seamster....then I got a PO...then the Aqua Terra, which amazingly enough for me would be the one I would keep if I could only have one of them...but I don't want to choose.

But I am letting the PO go (for sale on eBay) for a Rolex 5512 from my Birth year. One day I will reclaim a PO liquid metal, probably 42mm instead of the 46mm

In short, I bet my left nut you will have another one by the spring...(seriously look at the Aqua Terra, you can swim in it, and it looks good on a suit. :whistling:

Pun likes this.
  3. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Dec 6, 2014

Well I think you should buy two speedy's this way it is totally fair. Of course you will still need a Seamaster.

4. Russell Phillips Dec 8, 2014

LOL that's my new one by spring, another speedy.

I don't particularly like it on the bracelet, I'm waiting for a leather zulu being hand made to my wrist size & spec's in distressed brown leather, should have it in a couple of days, the seamaster will stay on the bracelet though pics to follow soon

Thanks to all contributors

5. ChrisN Dec 8, 2014

As X350XJR says, without a screw down crown you are always at risk. You should have it tested regularly for water resistance and not operate the pushers or crown in the water, but what's strange is that this mail seems to contradict the data on the Omega website:
    http://www.omegawatches.com/fileadmin/customer_service/WaterResist.pdf

Anyway, you have a lovely new Seamaster now so, best of both worlds.:thumbsup:

Cheers, Chris

6. Russell Phillips Dec 8, 2014

Thanks for that Chris, interesting reading & it gives the impression that you can indeed swim with it.

Thanks for your interest

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 8, 2014

If everything on the watch is perfect, they do have some water resistance. However since this is a manual winding movement, every day you wind it, the seal inside the crown is wearing on the case tube. Just ask anyone who has sent one for service and when the watch came back with a new crown, the crown is quite tight on the tube, making the winding stiff - but over time it loosens up - this is the seal losing some of it's water resistance.

This frequent winding will cause that seal to break down much quicker than say one on an automatic movement, where the crown is used for occasional winding and setting of the watch. So the fact it is a manual wind means it tends to become less water resistant more quickly. Then there are the pushers - the more "holes" in the case, the greater the opportunity for a leak. If you use the pushers a lot, the seals again will break down faster.

If you plan to get your watch wet, have it tested frequently.

Cheers, Al

CTS-V likes this.
  8. Pvt-Public Dec 8, 2014

It is interesting (confusing) that the Omega chart depicts a swimmer yet the description ony states "submersion in water" for the 3&5 bar. Yet depicts a snorkeler and describes "can be used for water surface activities" for the 10-15 bar. In my mind confusing at the least.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  9. CTS-V Jul 10, 2018

Thinking about get some pics of the TinTin in the ocean with the kiddo on the surf. Wish us luck.....(and the TinTin).......

10. vbrad26 Jul 11, 2018

Good luck!

CTS-V likes this.
  11. ulackfocus Jul 11, 2018

Necrothreadia.

tyrantlizardrex, CTS-V and vbrad26 like this.
  12. ninjamattic Jul 21, 2018

Because I’m a one Watch kind of guy, I never buy one that isn’t at LEAST 100m water resistant, my Speedmaster 3222.80 is no exception. I plan on keeping this for the very long term, so it has to be able to hang at the lake or beach. One day I’ll likely get myself a Seamaster 300 and call it good until I die, but for now... speedy for life.

hydrochrono likes this.