Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster / water resistance

1. Russell Phillips Nov 13, 2014

Hi

I'm confused I bought a new speedy, the one in the briefcase with straps tools etc. I moved over from Rolex. I wore a Rolex of some description every day for 20 years but got a bit despondent with their attitude and service costs, so sold the lot and bought the Speedy. I love it, I really do. I wear it on the NATO strap and wear it every day. When we go in holiday I always wore my Rolex and never took it off till we got home again. In bed, in and out the pool, water park the lot. Now Omega says the Speedmaster is waterproof to 50m, but everywhere I look people say don't swim with it on or it will leak. What is the truth??

Thanks in advance

2. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Nov 13, 2014

Truth is that there are two camps here. Those that wouldn't even wash their hands wearing a speedy, and those that swim wearing theirs.
    yours is new ,so you would be safe swimming with it but I would err on the side of caution and leave it behind when visiting a water park.

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 13, 2014

A new Speedmaster should be good to 50m as stated, however since the crown is not a screw down you are depending strictly on the integrity of the seal to keep moisture out. If properly maintained this should not be a problem.

I personally would not swim or shower even with a new one.

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  4. Rafal Kulesza Nov 13, 2014

Many times I swam in the pool at the new Speedmaster and had no problems. Chrono buttons are the most sensitive part through which it comes to flooding, which is why it is not recommended to dive.

5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 13, 2014

It's also Movement under the water that makes the difference. 5 bar water resistance is one thing, but not sure how it accounts for shock under water, or water pressure if you're surfing or motor-racing and fall into water.

So I don't mind casual wear and water exposure, but If I'm active I rather have a seamster with me...

Rafal Kulesza likes this.
  6. Rafal Kulesza Nov 13, 2014

Of course the Speedmaster is not a watch for diving but swimming should not damage or cause flooding.
    Seamaster is a good choice.

7. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Nov 13, 2014

I never took my speedy off when going in the water for the first few years until someone mentioned that he wouldn't dare get it wet. It stopped me swimming in it but the watch was completely waterproof. If your swimming with a speedy you need to be obsessive with water proofing and servicing.

8. silviogo Nov 13, 2014

I think that you'll find the answer on history of speedy as on this image...

uploadfromtaptalk1415914443203.JPG
    FedFod, Doc Savage, CTS-V and 3 others like this.
  9. alam Nov 13, 2014

+1 and wise advice not to wear while swimming or even in the shower IMO

Edited Nov 13, 2014
  10. Nesbit Nesbit's Watch Service, Seattle Nov 13, 2014

Per Omega specs, 50M ; "Moderate exposure to moisture will not damage the watch". We advise our customers against swimming or showering with a watch unless it has a screw down crown as mentioned previously. Even then, a hot tub can still trash a Seamaster Pro. We know this from personal experience.

mtpmarine, SpikiSpikester and TLIGuy like this.
  11. Russell Phillips Nov 14, 2014

Thanks for the reply's guys!! Well I suppose what I take from this is that I should have either kept a submariner for holidays or as I switched to Omega from Rolex I should buy a Seamaster, but to leave a watch like that in a drawer for most of the year only to bring out for holidays and trips to the pool with the kids is a bit mad?? I love my speedy though and don't regret buying it -- just wish I could swim with it.

cheers Guys / n Dolls

12. alam Nov 14, 2014

Don't think the Navy divers part of the recovery team on that picture were wearing Speedys :D

Edited Nov 14, 2014
    Rotary7 and connieseamaster like this.
  13. silviogo Nov 14, 2014

@alam The astrontauts do! Do you think that NASA would certificate a watch for a crew that in 100% will land in open salt sea, and in optimistic recovery timing will spent at list copule of Hours in THIS environment? We are not discussing If speedy is a watch that fits for a navy seal...but sure it Can survive in water for a while....

14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 14, 2014

Yes. It can. And I think there are many people that get it wet from time to time, me included, even though unless I'm diving or someone throws me into a pool dressed I normally take my watch off at the beach, not a water issue, just for comfort. But would I wear my Speedster all day in water in and out, swimming in the ocean and drying out in the beach? No. Would I freak out if I have to go underwater for whatever reason and I'm wearing it? no.

silviogo likes this.
  15. alam Nov 14, 2014

Relax, relax - I was teasing the post with the picture.

Yes, the Speedy's water resistance is rated for 50m - and "moderate moisture will not damage the watch".

No, I dont think NASA was considering the potential water splashing astronauts could face during recovery at sea when testing the Speedy -- I suspect an outer-space environment and the elements associated with Space exploration were their main concern.

No, I will not go in the pool or any open water body wearing mine. Heck! I take mine off when washing my hands! :p

Edited Nov 14, 2014
  16. silviogo Nov 14, 2014

Alam, Sure they considering it, expecially after GEMINI VIII (Armstrong - Scott) mission have an emergency premature reentry manuver (performed by Armstrong). This cause the capslue splash down on the west pacific ocean instead of scheduled Atlantic. They floated for more than 3h alone in Pacific ocean, 800km from Okinawa, waiting to be recovered by USS Leonard Mason ship. They well know that astronauts may stay for a while in open water, like what happened to Guss Grissom, when his capsule "liberty bell 7" start to sank after splash down. Grissom abandoned the capsule and litteraly swim in water while the rescue team try to save the capsule and him from water.

Sure they do not choose speedy for water excellence, but they wouldn't never consider a watch without water resistance.
    Cheers

Event horizon likes this.
  17. Russell Phillips Dec 3, 2014

I wrote to Omega for an official opinion, here is the reply

Thank you for your e-mail.

I can confirm that as your timepiece is water resistant to 50 metres, it is not recommended that you swim in this watch. A 50 metre water resistant watch is statically pressured to water resistant properties and not whilst the watch is moving through water, therefore it is best that you do not swim in your timepiece.

Anything over 100 metres would be sufficient for swimming.

I hope this helps and if you do require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

So I went and bought a Seamaster Pro. Now I have to decide what one to wear

Happy Days!!

connieseamaster and gpobernardo like this.
  18. M.D. Dec 3, 2014

+1 on not swimming with my Speedy Pro. I don't swim with any of my watches and instead have a beater (Luminox quartz) for that purpose. I've seen some posts regarding Seikos as a good / inexpensive option for the beach which has got me thinking. I'd prefer an automatic to the quartz any day.

But as most people here own several watches, I suspect the thought of having a watch sit in the "drawer" for the better part of the year and brought out for a specific purpose or occasion isn't a concern.

19. Russell Phillips Dec 3, 2014

Yeh that was my point at the start, I swapped over to Omega from Rolex and chose what I thought was the ultimate watch, it was to be my only watch! However as I could do everything in the Rolex, I overlooked the swimming part. Truth is I still love the Speedy!! It is the ultimate watch (IMHO) but cant go swimming - here is the fun part - I have 2 sons, so I could justify to myself having 2 similarly good / priced / quality watches which one day they will inherit. I still wear the speedy, but plan to put it on a leather strap & wear for smart / casual & wear the seamaster most days as a workhorse. This way the boys get equal quality / value watches some day, and for now I get to choose each day.

BTW
    The seamaster will be my beach watch, I won't be bothering with a quarts beater (or I'd have to choose 2 of them) lol

Thanks to all contributors !!

20. M.D. Dec 3, 2014

Can't go wrong with a Seamaster! Post some pics when you get it.