Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster + water questions

1. timcarr Sep 11, 2015

Hello all,

I'm new here, and am thinking about buying a Speedmaster. I've been warned that I should be weary of exposing Speedmasters to water. It this true? Thanks!

2. italy1861 Sep 11, 2015

A watch is only water resistant until it's not water resistant. You need to get the watch checked every year to make sure. On that note, I would only get my Speedmaster Pro wet if I accidentally splashed it while washing hands or from rain. Would never swim with it on, although many do without issues. If you plan on being in the water a lot, you might be better off with a Seamaster or PO.

3. ulackfocus Sep 11, 2015

Feel free to use it in space all you want though.

4. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 11, 2015

I wore mine in a hot tub and while I did not necessarily keep it out of the water, I didn't necessarily keep it in the water, either.

Most of these scare stories are just scare stories. I got my Speedmaster quite wet nearly evey month I owned it.

You have nothing to worry about.

Tom

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 11, 2015

BUT Not in the space station swimming pool!

6. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 11, 2015

Are you considering buying a new Seamaster or a used one? A new one is guaranteed to be water resistant as per its rating. A used one should be checked as Tom mentions. A vintage one is a whole different story due to age, wear, seals etc.

7. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 11, 2015

To be fair, I mentioned it in another thread, but the common wisdom, which I endorse, says do nothing critical until you get a complete service, including a certification (so to speak) by your service center that the watch meets or exceeds original specification.

This ain't rocket surgery, guys. :)

Tom

8. Canuck Sep 11, 2015

Generally speaking, most folks who are on the fence as to wearing ANY watch in water, should go ahead and wear their watches in water. That is, UNTIL one leaks on you, and you either destroy it, or are faced with a large bill. If it ever happens to you, thereafter, you can make up your own mind as to whether wearing a watch in water is necessary/wise! Almost every water resistant watch starts out as water resistant, within parameters. A watch that doesn't leak as you sunbathe on an air mattress in a swimming pool, might well leak the next day as you join in a game of water polo! A watch that doesn't leak in 80 ° water might well leak if you are wearing it skiing, and you tumble! If your water resistant watch has a battery in it, prepare yourself to be without the watch while it is sent away for service, possibly gaskets, and water resist testing. If you are not prepared to make that sacrifice and spend the extra, then don't wear it in water after a cell change! Because the maker marked it as water resistant, it does NOT remain water resistant forever by some sort of magic!

9. OmegaSean Sep 12, 2015

FFS a Speedmaster is a divers watch that is all
    OmegaSean

10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 12, 2015

My wife wore her's in the shower......

Once

Barking mad likes this.
  11. Canuck Sep 12, 2015

Well! I guess now we know!

OmegaSean likes this.
  12. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 12, 2015

No, it's not, which is why it doesn't have the same water resistance as a Seamaster.

I believe the moon watch has a water resistance of 50m, compared to a Seamaster, 200m or more.

Tom

13. Canuck Sep 12, 2015

If OmegaSean has a Speedomaster, let him try it as a diver's watch. If it works for him, super! I think he needs to find out for himself. If it doesn't work for him, there is lots of help on this message board!

14. italy1861 Sep 12, 2015

Apparently OmegaSean has one of those "prototype" SpeedSeamaster Professionals.

15. Canuck Sep 12, 2015

The three letter acronym he used in his post leads me to believe he believes himself to be the ultimate authority!

OmegaSean likes this.
  16. OmegaSean Sep 13, 2015

Omega product information clearly states water resistance to 100m not many showers or swimming pools that are deeper than that. I have a PO and it states 600m I've been in the shower, pool and sea with mine no leaks yet :)
    OmegaSean

17. Canuck Sep 13, 2015

There's good information all over the Internet about wrist watch water resistant ratings. Suggest you might spend some time checking the subject out. Water resistance ratings from watch companies is like fuel economy ratings from car makers! Pipe dreams!

18. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 13, 2015

Al (I think?) posted a very good analysis why the manfacturer's water resistance ratings are correct and why "good information all over the Internet" is a load of crap. Definitely worth a read.

Tom

19. italy1861 Sep 13, 2015

Maybe you should do a little more research. Speedmaster is rated to 50m. Doesn't matter if your pool isn't that deep. It's not a divers watch.

Edited Sep 13, 2015
  20. Canuck Sep 14, 2015

Oh really! So, you have all the answers?