Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Triple Date Authenticity Giveaways

1. Mothra Dec 12, 2012

Gents,

I think these count as modern...

So far I've mostly restricted my buying to 60s vintage constellations. Initially aided immensely by Mondodecs blogs, and later finding the condition of the movement to be a real help to narrowing down how likely a watch is to be genuine based on how well it matches up with the dial and case.

I'm thinking I'd like to buy a Valjoux movemented Speedmaster triple date - but I have three issues:

1) I know very very little about speedmasters
    2) As the watches are a lot newer the sellers seem a lot less likely to be prepared/able to whip off the case back and snap a movement photo
    3) There appear to be a lot of reasonably convincing fakes out there.

I've had a look at Chuck Maddox's site and will try to soak up some general indicators, but are there any dead giveaways or obvious stuff I should know when looking at these watches specifically? Also, any general feedback/suggestions?

Stu

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 12, 2012

I have not seen replica for Speedmaster triple date around. First it is too complicated to copy....Bond Seamaster, PO Seamaster, Moonwatch or clawed Connie would be easier and more popular target. Second it is not that popular even among speedmasters, either the more flashy Speedmaster Racing or Moonphase are more common target.
    If the chronograph function and triple date setting works, I am 99,9% sure it is original. The day setting is through small recessed push button in 10 position. If you set the hour, the small 24 hour hand in 9 will move along together. The dial finish also have distinctive hue (is this the right term?) and the rest you can tell by its finishing quality.

Here is mine :
    speedy triple date med res.jpg

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 12, 2012

The triple date movement isn't complicated, its an off the shelf ETA 7751 movement (a 7750 varient) so its entirely possible

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 12, 2012

Ahhh OK. I think they must make some complication on top of standard Valjoux 7750. I am mistaken then.

Another Google found me this link that may help you:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/help-wanted-speedmaster-triple-date-576476.html

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/speedmaster-day-date-arrived-thoughts-questions-576411.html

And Ashley is right, yes there are replicas around for this type.....:( ........I stand corrected.

5. ulackfocus Dec 12, 2012

Yes, he is - and I've seen a few. This model isn't as popular as the 2254 or moonwatch Speedmasters, but if there's money to be made the counterfeiters will be making fakes.