Forums Latest Members
  1. Davidt Feb 14, 2015

The first mechanical watch I can ever remember seeing was my dads Speedmaster Pro when I was little. My folks are/were antique dealers and he often had a vintage watch, wore it for a few years and sold it on before a 'new' one arrived. They were often different marks (II, IV etc), but always Speedmasters. Anyway he sold his last one a few years ago but they then started winding down to retirement and it never got replaced.

He's going in for a knee replacement in a few weeks and my brother and I decided to get him a Speedmaster as a surprise for when he comes out. He's not that bothered about originality or a 321 etc but obviously I want it to be correct for him.

Well this was on ebay last week. The pictures were poor and it was filthy but close inspection showed it had an applied logo dial and DoN bezel. However, the case back had the straight writing moon landing text and I wonder if this threw some people? Despite this, I was fairly sure it was a transitional. I threw in my bid and won the auction. Just. I've got it in hand now and I think my assessment was correct. It does have DoN with applied logo dial. The hands are wrong and the case back is a '69 but the movement is a 265555xx serial. I'm thinking rather than a put together watch, this is a genuine transitional with hands and case back that have been changed

Thoughts? Am I being optimistic?
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

sirish19 likes this.
  2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 14, 2015

Well I would say its the way you say.

I could see myself wanting the engraved case back....whats it look like inside the caseback - a date stamp ?

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Feb 14, 2015

What a great thing to do for your Dad, I'm sure he'll be proud of his boys. :thumbsup:

I don't know enough to comment on the watch but hope his op goes well.

Davidt likes this.
  4. Davidt Feb 14, 2015

Looks like a genuine straight text case back.

Looking forward to sourcing a 145.022-68 caseback!
    image.jpg

5. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Feb 14, 2015

Even though it is wrong, the straight writing caseback is so cool that you can wear it with anything. Even a raised logo. Consider leaving it alone.

6. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Feb 14, 2015

Alternatively, you could use a dremel to change the 69 to 68. No one would notice. :)

Davidt likes this.
  7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Feb 14, 2015

:whipped::whipped::whipped:

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 14, 2015

Indeed ! Nice!

9. Davidt Feb 14, 2015

I wonder if this case back was switched out at a service some years after the watch was bought, or if it was done immediately after the moon landing.

If they could talk...

10. initialjh Feb 16, 2015

Interesting part for me is that case back.... Maybe service back? But rest looks ok. Nice find. Tracking a case back possible but I think having the movement serviced so it runs for a few more years is more important... :)

11. Davidt Feb 16, 2015

It's never going to be a wonderful example, but it was a decent price and With a service and a bit of spit and polish it will clean up just fine for a daily wearer for the old fella.

It's just interesting where this back came from. Was it switched years later when no one really cared what went on? Did the original dealer switch it prior to sale as the new moonwatch engraved backs were more popular? Probably the former but it makes you wonder.

12. JG808 Feb 16, 2015

That's a great looking watch and I'm sure your dad will be very pleased with it! I just got my dad a 3590.50 for his 60th that I'm sure he'll enjoy for many years to come.

13. pascs Feb 16, 2015

I have a good 68 case back if you're interested to swap it for the 69 case back?

Edit: I also have a flat 69 case back if you want to get something engraved on it, the previous owner must of had it machined to remove the original speedmaster engraving :(

Edited Feb 16, 2015
  14. Davidt Feb 17, 2015

That could be a goer!