Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster - The grail no more.... Advice

1. simonscoffin Jul 14, 2019

I had the same thought. Checked twice if it was the right one, it was.

Foo2rama likes this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 14, 2019

Idk... my date wear night and day differently then my pro. The Pro is a tad big, and everyone thinks the date is small looking. I don’t have a size problem with the 36-38mm three handers own. Nor three other 41mm to 42mm pieces I own. I feel the 40mm models esp with the angled bezels wear much smaller then you would think.

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 14, 2019

I guess that's why make different sizes and styles. Something for every taste.

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jul 14, 2019

So what you will end up with is a slightly less expensive watch that is not to your taste? You have done what you should - tried the watch on and found it did not appeal to you as much as you thought it would. There is nothing wrong with you and (imho), you should perhaps look for something else. There are many, many watches out there and any amount of money will be wasted if you really are not convinced it's the watch for you.

JwRosenthal and Observer like this.
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 14, 2019

Yup Foo girl loves it for her :)

6. Observer I know nothing! Jul 14, 2019

If it doesn’t appeal to you, get over it and find something that does. Speedmaster’s a great watch, but it’s also the most overhyped watch in the history of the universe. Not one Speedmaster owner in ten thousand will ever use the tachymeter, nor even know how given the opportunity. Most won’t ever use the stopwatch unless it’s for cooking, but they’ll sure pay extra to service it.
    I’ll buy one at some point, though. :)

Walrus likes this.
  7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 14, 2019

I really like the size of the speedy date, does that make me a girl, too?

8. Toishome Jul 14, 2019

I don't get it. So you want one or you don't ::confused2::::confused2::::confused2::::confused2::::confused2::::confused2::::confused2::

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 14, 2019

Nope :) and I’m sorry if it came off that way.

Everyone’s wrists and styles are different. I’ve got 3 watches are are all nominally 42mm and the thinnest 41mm is the largest wearing, and the largest wears the smallest (SKX) due to the short lug to lug distance. My GF with an SNZ at 42mm and long lugs looks good an her and crap on me and vice verse with the SKX.

10. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 14, 2019

No need to apologize, I was just giving you shit.

Foo2rama likes this.
  11. gostang9 Jul 14, 2019

Nice finally finally having a definitive answer to “who gives a shit...”

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 14, 2019

All love

13. gostang9 Jul 14, 2019

Oh I know... wrote it with a big smile :cool:

Foo2rama likes this.
  14. CoDiffe Jul 14, 2019

It's interesting because I'm in the complete opposite boat. Wanted a speedy for forever, bought one, and after awhile didn't like it because I felt like it was too big for my wrist. Sold it. After 4 years, I came full circle and bought another one and love it. It is a big watch. Probably a little big for my wrist (look at my avatar) but like @JwRosenthal said above - you adjust to it quickly and I love the watch.

All that being said, how big is your wrist? I find it hard to believe a speedy would wear too small. My wrist is almost 7" exactly and it wears big. The 48mm lug to lug is the thing that makes it that way IMO.

15. JwRosenthal Jul 14, 2019

I couldn’t do smaller than 38 for the longest time which is funny considering when I got into the hobby years ago, I wore Gruen bumpers which were all of 31-33. But my rekindling love for watches led me to historic military pieces - Elgin and Bulova: 31-32mm. I had to literally force myself to wear them daily, no big watches, for two weeks. I got very used to them and was actually shocked at how light and comfortable they are- and incredibly readable (those mil dials are hard to beat) my collection now is mostly 50’s/60’s but they all wear differenty depending on bezel/disl ratio, case construction and lug to lug length. My Seamaster Deville which is 34mm wears just as large visually as my GMT - all glass and no bezel. It’s just a matter of perspective.

16. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jul 14, 2019

17. Walrus Jul 14, 2019

I always got midsized watches. Felt funny in 40mm. I think partly because all my original watches were inherited from my grandfather so they were old bulovas from the forties, tank style never measured them but I bet they would be 31-32. Just recently found I look OK in 42mm tags and humongous Vostoks. I like it, gives me a lot of options but I can’t pull off these 50mm watch clocks I see people running in.

I understand the OP dilemma, you get your “grail” watch and you want that baby perfect. When I found that 38mm speedy in Boston it would have been the jackpot for me but it was 5k and although it was a couple months before my recent run of bad physical and financial luck the timing still wasn’t right “meaning my wife was around the corner”. Size is a very important factor with a watch. I’m ready to but that damn hot orange seiko but I only see it in 45mm so far. It might look alright but I don’t want to go through the hassle of returning it if not. Well I’ll be happy with any size speedy. Ok enough of my BS hope everyone is well

18. valkyrie_rider Jul 14, 2019

You wanna classic speedmaster looks + chunky size? Ever heard of the Speedmaster 125?

Weighting 183g, with a width of 44.8mm, 15mm thick and 51mm lug-to-lug that is a heavy weight even for today's standards. Add the fact it was released in 1973, has a chronometer certified movement, automatic winding and *date* it is pretty unique!

A photo on my 18cm wrist:
    speedy_125_wrist.jpg

19. valkyrie_rider Jul 14, 2019

Still on the chunky side, there is the Mark III with the dimensions: 15.9mm (height, yep that is right), 43.3mm (width), 51.7mm (lug-to-lug).

It rides tall and proud on top of the wrist but is remarkably comfortable.
    IMG_20190523_101124.jpg

Foo2rama likes this.
  20. Screwbacks Jul 14, 2019

who convinced you that a holygrail speedy is based on the difference between a hesalite and a sapphire?