Forums Latest Auctions Members

Speedmaster - The grail no more.... Advice

1. simonscoffin

simonscoffin Jul 14, 2019

First post, but I have been a long time reader of the forum.

To cut a long story short, for years I always looked at the Omega Speedmaster Professional, and this year I had the funds to purchase one.

Researched the difference between hesalite and sapphire, made my decision and off I went to buy one.

Sadly this is where it all falls apart, the watch is just to small for my tastes. Didn't feel right at all, no matter how much I tried to convince myself.

The thing is, I still look and look at them. The price new for a watch that doesn't feel right is a waste, however is there somewhere I can find a reasonable, well priced, used example? (based in the Munich area).

Or am I just being a fool and should let it go.

2. kov

kov Jul 14, 2019

Hello and welcome !

Somethign’s kinda contradictory in your post :

::screwloose::

Hey, there is a great sales section here, imagine that ! :)

3. WatchCor

WatchCor Jul 14, 2019

Welcome first of all. Do you have any wristshot with the Speedy?

Tastes vary but generally the 42mm size is quite well suited for most men. If you mostly wear big (over 44mm) divers or fashion watches I understand that first it might feel "small" but you'll probably get used it very quickly.

There are several used ones for sale here and the web. Probably some in your area.

4. pascs

pascs Jul 14, 2019

I have big wrists and when I first bought a Speedmaster I was very underwhelmed by the size, it felt too small. But after wearing it for some time the appeal of the watch just grew and grew, it is easily now my most favourite watch and i have since bought a few :D

5. Togri v. 2.0

Togri v. 2.0 Jul 14, 2019

So you don’t like it because of the size but you are looking for one anyway ::confused2::::confused2::

It won’t get bigger if you buy it used. It doesn’t swell with age

garryap17 and jaguar11 like this.
  6. simonscoffin

Thanks for the comments.

To clarify, I know there is a sales section, but these tend to be US/Non European based and Germany is very strict when importing anything.

To answer a few statements;

I do like a bigger watch, currently wearing a Seiko SPB077J1, as mentioned in a comment I was hoping that it would grow on me as time passed, just didn't want to take the risk with a new £5k watch.

So was looking for advice and hopefully other peoples experience when first bought.

7. Aussie Jim

Aussie Jim Jul 14, 2019

If it doesn't work for you, don't force it. One size does not fit all.

See if you can borrow one for a few days before throwing money at something you don't think you like. Many of us start thinking this is not the right size (too small) and then end up thinking that 38-36mm is a good size

8. padders

padders Jul 14, 2019

There is a fair amount of GB/Euro stuff in our SC if you look. This an international place, not as US focussed as some.

Dan S, Davidt and Spacefruit like this.
  9. rott3

rott3 Jul 14, 2019

I think that if you got the idea that 42mm is a small...well I would say you have to try more and more watches until you get the feel of watches and their sizes...and then no mater what, 42mm will not be small...the same happened to me with 39mm...I thought it was small untill I realised it was smal for a reason...it was confortable and made to fit my wrist without causing discomfort...that's when I realised 42mm is my absolute maximum as I prefer to be confortable as oposed to flashy...of course this is my personal feeling but it may guide you on how many people look at watch sizes...In summary I would say there is a learning curve to it.

10. Slowpoker

Slowpoker Jul 14, 2019

If the professional is too small for you, why not try one of the co-axial models?

They're somewhat more expensive but I believe they are in the 44mm range. If you're looking for even larger then there isn't anything larger in the speedy range.

I'm sure the size will grow on you.

11. Stufflers Mom

Stufflers Mom Jul 14, 2019

This is a good idea, the Co-Axial Speedmasters are 44.25mm and if the standard watch is too small this could be a good option, and because it's automatic you don't need to be bothered by all that hand winding nonsense.

step0001 black.jpg

ras47 likes this.
  12. simonscoffin

I've looked at the Co-Axial Speedmaster numerous times, but it's like choosing a Mustang Fastback when you know you want a simple 67 Mustang.

13. gostang9

gostang9 Jul 14, 2019

Unless you’ve driven the simple ‘67 and didn’t like it... :thumbsdown:

14. simonscoffin

In that case I would start looking at MGB's...

Vitezi likes this.
  15. efauser

efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 14, 2019

This. I have 7.5 inch wrists but don't like the feel of anything over 42mm. Although, it greatly depends on the bezel width; I had an IWC Portugieser that was nearly 42mm but looked like a dinner plate on my wrist. For me, 39mm is my sweet spot.

WatchCor likes this.
  16. JwRosenthal

JwRosenthal Jul 14, 2019

You adjust to size. I wore 39-42 for years and when I strapped a 34mm on my wrist it felt like a ladies watch. I forced myself to wear it for a week strait and by the end of the week, a 36 felt big. The majority of my watches now are 33-38 and when I strap on my Speedy it feels like a hall clock...for the first 20 minutes, then you adjust.
    Don’t get hung up on size. If you love the style of the watch, get it- you will adjust quickly

Evitzee likes this.
  17. STANDY

STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 14, 2019

Wear them all, don’t seem to think the Speedy looks of feels smaller
    44 - 44 - 42
    1B61E717-7BB6-43AF-BBA4-9B511229D429.jpeg

nonuffinkbloke and ras47 like this.
  18. simonscoffin

Thanks for all the help and advice. I shall start looking for a solid used piece.

19. Foo2rama

Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 14, 2019

Not to ask a stupid question...are you sure you had a Pro? The dates and reduced models at 40mm wear drastically smaller.

20. efauser

efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 14, 2019

I think "drastically" is an overstatement, however, they do wear a bit smaller.

Foo2rama likes this.