Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Suddenly Gaining More

1. Super Fuzz Mar 4, 2019

Hi all. Yes, it’s another “what’s up with my Speedy’s accuracy?” thread. I know there are a few of these on here but none address exactly what I’ve been experiencing so I thought I’d share and see if I can get some pointers.

Bought my Speedy new (from Joma) last June. Basically have worn it every day since then. I have almost the same routine: wind around 7am before work, take off watch between 7-8 pm and rest dial up. It has consistently been keeping time at +7-8ish seconds per day.

Using the watch tracker app I have noticed over the past couple of weeks it has been gaining more, closer to 13-14 seconds per day. Nothing has changed in my habits so I’m curious to know why this would be. Could it be magnetized? I was under the impression it’d be gaining way more if that were the case.

Does anyone know if OB’s will/can check for and demagnetize? Can anything else explain why it’s suddenly gaining 5 more seconds or more a day? Thanks!

Also: let’s at least have a pic so this thread isn’t totally lame
    04757899-702A-4C33-AD69-D639E0233D65.jpeg

2. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 4, 2019

Very likely.

3. Super Fuzz Mar 4, 2019

So I’ve been meaning to invest in a demagnetizer. Some cursory reading shows the cheap ones aren’t the best bet. Can anyone recommend a good model?

Sorry if this is a dumb question: will a demagnetizer tell me if it’s magnetized in the first place?

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 4, 2019

Have a look here for demagnetizers - certainly not an endorsement of the business as I avoid them at all costs based on some bad experiences with them, but that page will give you an overview of what's available. I have the red Vigor model shown there.

Most demagnetizers don't tell you if the watch is magnetized, but there are some that do - one on that page does. Witschi makes one that's even more expensive that will check the level of magnetism and then demag the watch. Personally I use the timing machine as the basis of determining if the demag has been successful.

Not convinced your watch is magnetized though, since the amount of gain is very small...

Cheers, Al

5. Super Fuzz Mar 4, 2019

What about using a compass like this: https://www.esslinger.com/compass-20mm-package-of-3/

What sort of bad experiences have you had? I’m a total novice and while I’m all for DIY-ing it, I don’t want to make things worse. Should I just stop by my Omega Boutique? I’m pretty sure they do this there.

On the other hand, as you mention, the change in timekeeping is not significant. What else could it be? Bad luck? Normally I wouldn’t care but this puts it just out of spec for Omega.

@Archer i think you meant to post a link? I can’t seem to click on it

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 4, 2019