Forums Latest Members
  1. Sidrox25 Aug 14, 2017

Someone actually asked me the other day how often should one service a speedy. Obviously typical answer is when it starts running funny. But question for you guys out there, how often have you gone between servicing on your speedys.

[​IMG]

2. Shailor Aug 14, 2017

Every five years seems to be the answer. I let mine go a lot longer than that, ten years, and it ran fine. Until it stopped. Clearly too long. It's at Omega service right now and I'll report when it comes back. By the way, nice strap! Is that from Vintager?

pa30crewchief likes this.
  3. Sidrox25 Aug 14, 2017

Thanks, I actually got it from Jones in Tokyo. Cool let me know how it turns out after you get it back.

4. ras47 Aug 14, 2017

I've gone 10 years between services with a co-axial Seamaster with no issues. Omega recommends 3-5 years but I'd wait until there is an issue.

5. Shailor Aug 14, 2017

That's interesting. Do co-axial Seamasters not need the same service intervals as a Speedmaster pro? I just got my Seamaster and would like to be able to kick the proverbial overhaul can down the road a little.

6. w.finkenstaedt Aug 14, 2017

That's the advantage of the coaxial escapement; because it separates the locking and impulse portions of the Swiss lever escapement (four pallets as opposed to two), it dramatically reduces friction (I believe it uses something like 10% of the lubrication that Swiss lever does).

Because of this, Omega recommends 6-8 year service intervals, but (especially with 8000 and 9000 series movements) you can easily push it longer. My old Railmaster got serviced after 12 years and was only barely out of tolerance.

I don't think most people that own a coaxial watch really understand how much value is hidden in the watch. I'm quite proud to wear a few watches with an escapement that no brand but Omega could get to work (Patek and Rolex both famously slammed the door in Dr Daniels' face back in the 80s).

PhilF, chrisca70, sevenhelmet and 2 others like this.
  7. Hands90 Aug 14, 2017

Mines from the 70's
    Never serviced

dhong1993 likes this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 14, 2017

Yes, service intervals for the watch are essentially the same. Even if the escapement is better for servicing intervals (debatable to put it mildly) the remainder of the watch is no different than a regular watch, so it also needs to be maintained. To put it another way, I don't get watches on my bench where the escapement is the only thing needing service - if the escapement is dry the whole watch is usually dry...

Saying a watch can go longer because it has a different escapement is like saying you don't need to ever change the oil in your car because you have long wearing tires. It's nonsensical.

There's still plenty of friction, but it's concentrated on a much smaller surface area:

This is why the co-axial wheels wear out:

[​IMG]

This is not exclusive to co-axial watches - I've seen countless anecdotes of people who claim their (usually Rolex) has been going for 20 or more years without service and runs perfectly. As I've said I get watches in the shop all the time that are dry inside and still run very well. And Omega started out saying you could go much longer that 6-8 years, but they clearly had to back away from claims that were not true.

This is what Omega's web site says right now about service intervals:

"As a general rule, a watch should be serviced every 4 to 5 years, depending on the conditions in which it is used."

So nothing that's any different than most companies recommend.

Yes, Omega was the only company that would bite on this idea. That can be interpreted in many ways, not just the meaning that you have ascribed. And yes they got it to work, but not really in the way Daniels had wanted. It wasn't supposed to require any oil at all...

Cheers, Al

9. atc100 Aug 14, 2017

Service is needed every 4-5 years!

10. w.finkenstaedt Aug 14, 2017

Thanks for the info Al, but I'm gonna trust the manufacturer and the watchmakers that I've talked to both independent and from the brand. No offense, of course. My experience and what I've been told are just very different than what you're saying.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 14, 2017

And my experience at the bench servicing these is very different than the brand's story. In the end I have no dog in the fight either way - the same can't be said for some of the sources you are relying on.

If you watch the way the tip of the very sharp co-axial wheel teeth impacts the side of the pallet fork stone, then rides up and over the sharp edge of the stone, it's pretty clear there is friction and wear happening once the oil dries out. The oil drops are so small here that over time they simply disappear, leaving the escapement vulnerable to wear. I rarely see worn escape wheels and pallet forks on Lever escapement watches, but replacing co-axial wheels due to wear is a regular thing...but people will believe what they want to. No offense, of course.

Cheers, Al

Clocka, Manny1979, PhilF and 11 others like this.
  12. Jensop Aug 14, 2017

Would the same apply to the three level co-axial as to the two level?
    Thank you!

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 14, 2017

Yes - there's no difference in them with regards to the specific things I'm pointing out here, as the interactions between the co-axial wheel and pallet fork are the same essentially with the 2-evel or 3-level. The problems with the 2-level design are a different thing altogether.

There have been a lot of claims made on forums over the years about the co-axial escapement, but when I went through the training at Omega they made it clear the only benefit to it was the longer service interval. You don't have to be a watchmaker to see the weakness in that argument - a watch movement is much more than just an escapement.

Cheers, Al

14. Jensop Aug 14, 2017

Thank you. Much appreciate your views always.

Even though you keep insisting that my watches are not made of Valyrian steel and Dragon glass :) :) :)
    Cheers

Edited Aug 14, 2017
  15. Sidrox25 Aug 15, 2017

Well do they kill white walkers as well? If they do then you have a strong case on your side...

16. rohnin Aug 26, 2017

What if the watch never gets used or is just wound once every few weeks?

17. M'Bob Aug 26, 2017

Right, but above, by Al, it's been pointed out that running perfectly does not mean no wear is taking place. If parts are available, not a big deal. If not, hold on to your wallet when the next service comes around...

Mad Dog likes this.
  18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 26, 2017

Lack of use can extend the service interval slightly compared to a watch that gets used every single day, but eventually oils dry out if the watch is being used or not.

dkpw, whyboddau, SpeedyPhill and 2 others like this.
  19. Green Omega Sep 4, 2017

Thanks Archer! Pardon for my limited knowledge, just read this thread and found it informative. Does the service interval differ on wack brand - Omega, Rolex, PP etc. and in servicing, is it the oil that first dries up or are there any checks being done on the movement. Thanks again!

20. mikesspeedy Sep 4, 2017

My SMP purchased in 2006 was serviced in 2010 and then in 2014. Next up ill hold it to 2019
    My Speedy pro purchased in march this year will be serviced in 2022.

I'm not super wealthy (if I were I suppose these two watches would be Pateks). When I purchased these watches I knew the service intervals and costs. At about £600 for a service I have to make provision for this, So I have a watch account which I put £15 a month into as a standing order (I forget its even happening) that's £180 a year from 2014 (last smp service) so by 2019 my "pot " will be running £900, deduct approx £600 for the SMP service leaves approx. £300 towards the Speedy Pro service by 2022 that will be up to £840 approx and so on.

I know its a very dry and boring but we all know we should service our watches properly and £600 is more than a lot of people spend on a watch let alone a service, We know when we purchase our watch its going to have to be serviced and most likely in five years time, The cost and timing are eminently predictable so for me trickling cash into an account works. Saves me finding a lump sum or being tempted to skip a service or try a cheep grey market service. None of us would ignore the service intervals on our cars or Bikes so why leave a mechanical watch un-serviced?

Edited Sep 4, 2017
    PhilF and WYO_Watch like this.