Forums Latest Members
  1. GaryUFM Sep 15, 2015

I'm considering taking the plunge in the near future and going for a decent vintage Speedy but I'm currently doing my research to make sure I don't make a purchase I regret. I'm wanting a watch that is as original as possible and I've seen this model on eBay, so just wanted to check what I've learnt so far and ensure this is one to steer clear of (based on what I'm looking for). Of course, if I'm wrong and this is perfect against my criteria, please let me know and I'll make further enquiries!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171851684908Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

It's a 145.012-67, asymmetric lugs, nice aging on the indices and second hand (which looks correct for the reference to me?), but hour and minute hands look like replacements? Also, the bezel is not DON, which according to Speedmaster101.com doesn't fit with the reference. On this basis, given I'm looking for wholly original, I should overlook this one...right?

There are no photos of the movement or the case back - which I know I should at least request if seriously considering - but how am I doing so far? Am I looking at the right things? (And more importantly, getting it right?!) What other things should I be able to tell from these pictures?

Edited Sep 15, 2015
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 15, 2015

Later bezel, hard to say on the hands with the poor quality of the photos. Would certainly want to see the caseback and movement (and the box BTW).

Even if all that is good, the starting price is very very ambitious. Just correcting the bezel will approach $1k.

3. GaryUFM Sep 15, 2015

So far so good then? Nice. Thanks!