Forums Latest Members
  1. AMK2508 Apr 26, 2017

Dear Omega forum,

I am new to this forum, and was hoping you Omega expert could be so kind to offer me some advice.

I have long been contemplating getting a 'big boy' watch. My budget is around $1.500 (this is not just because of money, but also for security reasons as i live in Brazil, and do not feel comfortable wearing a too expensive watch)

After much contemplating, I think I have setteled on a used Speedy Reduced. I don't see any other option that gives you as much bang for your buck. My only worry is that I have a 7.3 inch wrist, will I be able to pull of a 39mm watch??

Thank you for your time, I hope to hear from you.

2. WatchVaultNYC Apr 26, 2017

More a matter of personal style than anything. If you think it looks good on you, then it looks good on you

watch3s likes this.
  3. w.finkenstaedt Apr 26, 2017

Your wrist is bigger than mine; I'd save a bit more and go for a Pro:

IMG_0411.JPG

Edit because I clearly don't know that 7.3 > 7.

R3D9 likes this.
  4. chich Apr 27, 2017

Get a used Pro for that money (or a touch more) and you'll never look back.

5. ac106 Apr 27, 2017

by a "touch" you mean $1000+ ?

I would recommend a 7750 based Speedmaster for a comparable priced but better option

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. chich Apr 27, 2017

Not at all. There's bargains to be found in the forums if you look for them - I got one and am super happy with it.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  7. pianomankd Apr 27, 2017

Never been a fan of the reduced. Looks like a poor man's Speedy Pro to me.

BrianMcKay and w.finkenstaedt like this.
  8. ac106 Apr 27, 2017

You got a moonwatch for $1500?

I call
    IMG_0530.PNG

watch3s, rhj, wavey and 7 others like this.
  9. pianomankd Apr 27, 2017

^ this.

10. ras47 Apr 27, 2017

There are some deals to be had on eBay. Sketchy perhaps, but check some of the auctions out: https://omegaforums.net/auctions/
    Personally, I wouldn't feel confident dealing with some of these sellers. Dubious provenance and no telling what you'll really get, if anything.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  11. AMK2508 Apr 27, 2017

Thanks for all the replies guys!
    The cheapest speedy pro I've seen on chrono24.com is $2200 and it looks pretty beat up.
    But there seems to be a general consensus that I should go for the pro, so maybe I will reconsider.

Iff someone comes across a moonwatch for a bargain price, please let me know;)

12. mokofoko One sad panda Apr 27, 2017

You were clearly beyond lucky. Even beat-up standard model moonwatches go for at least $2000+ on ebay. Just talking average values, lower-end might be $1200 vs $2200 for reduced vs pro. If you're really able to buy sub-$2000 pro's with repeatable results, then I'm sure you can get the reduced variety for under $1000!

watch3s likes this.
  13. mokofoko One sad panda Apr 27, 2017

The smaller form factor of the reduced can fit well on some folks. Also, the caseback doesn't jut out, and in my opinion it rests better against the wrist.

BrianMcKay and watch3s like this.
  14. w.finkenstaedt Apr 27, 2017

To be honest, all of that sounds like justifications from people that didn't want to save the money for a Pro.

I have yet to run into anyone that isn't capable of pulling off a Speedy Pro. Even my friend who I make fun of for having broomstick wrists can pull off a Pro.

The Reduced also has a modular movement; at least go for a 7750-based Speedmaster if you're not going for the Pro. Modular chronographs are the worst.

Foo2rama, BrianMcKay and pianomankd like this.
  15. mokofoko One sad panda Apr 28, 2017

That was my opinion as someone who owns both reduced and pro models. My wrist is as large as yours--and I happen to like how the reduced sits (mostly due to caseback differences). People like what they like. I'm not even going to get into the movement comparison--the DD module gets enough hate that I'm not touching such an argument with a 10-foot pole.

pdw1 and BrianMcKay like this.
  16. chich Apr 28, 2017

Well what can I say... hater's gonna hate.

IMG_9778.JPG

Now, admittedly, it came with a leather strap and moonwatch velcro strap only, I had to buy the steel bracelet separately (however I did find it second hand on the forums too).

Overall, a Speedy Pro in excellent condition and under $1500.

You can start apologising at any time.

wavey and BrianMcKay like this.
  17. nixf6 Apr 28, 2017

Having owned a Speedmaster reduced I can tell you they wear terrible .The winder sits really low on the case which digs into your risk wether you wear it loose or tight
    Save the extra money and buy the real deal "The Pro".

speedy.jpeg

18. mokofoko One sad panda Apr 28, 2017

[​IMG]
    I personally don't doubt that you got it at the price you claim--especially with the accessories you mention. People can sell at any price they want, and if you're lucky enough you can get anything dirt cheap. But as to whether or not that pricing is easily replicable, that's another matter. I could watch the forums like a hawk for months without a guarantee that I'll get a similar deal. Again, low-end pricing on a standard edition speedy pro moonwatch WITH bracelet is $2000-$2200 minimum on ebay.

A modern 1998/849 bracelet goes for about what, $400-$500 used? That would bring your total price close enough to the expected range.
    My 3510.21 has been worn for days at a time, and I've never once noticed the issue you speak of. The crown does sit far lower on reduced vs pro, but it feels just fine to me. It barely comes into contact with my skin. Seems like the design just doesn't compliment your specific wrist-type. Your issue, while certainly valid, doesn't apply to everyone.

Edited Apr 28, 2017
    pdw1 likes this.
  19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 28, 2017

I'd go for the pro and save a bit longer, if you really didn't want to spend that much, the Speedmaster Date and Speedmaster MK40 are both excellent choices that would fit within that price range.

20. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 28, 2017

Umm no. If you had to spend, say, $500-600 for a bracelet then comparing apples with apples, you actually spent $2000+ getting your MW which is still cheap but not the give away you were claiming. No apologies needed IMO unless you want to apologise for weasel words.

Oh but if you want to sell yours for $1500 I am sure there are plenty who will apologise and line up with the cash...

Edited Apr 28, 2017