Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Reduced - What’s the REAL Opinion?

1. mzinski Sep 14, 2019

In my short time here and owning a Speedy Reduced, I’ve picked up on some distinct undertones of love/hate for this reference.

It seems to go from outright disdain for it, to condescending comments like, “oh, yeah, try to enjoy it for what it is.”, to good-camaraderie cheering on our fellow watch enthusiasts, to the other end of the spectrum with people super psyched to make this their intentional selection.

I get it, we’re a group of widely varying tastes and opinions but this model really seems to polarize and exist with a reputation. I’m not sure I’ve ever heard someone say, “enjoy it for what it is.” about a Moonwatch.

Anyways, what’s the real deal here? Do people really love, hate, or love-to-hate the Reduced? Is there good reason it’s looked down upon? Is it looked down upon?

Looking forward to your thought.

2. 77deluxe Sep 14, 2019

Some really like them, some really do not.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  3. Canuck Sep 14, 2019

Love them! But that’s just me.

4. COYI Sep 15, 2019

I really like my reduced which has the black Schumacher 2000 racing dial. The 39mm size is a sweet spot for me. It's very accurate and I had no problems getting it serviced for a reasonable price.

I've often toyed with getting a Speedy pro as well but ended up buying a Breguet Type XX instead and kept the Speedy reduced in my collection as I love the dial.

TheWatchDigger likes this.
  5. Wryfox Sep 15, 2019

Blonde, brunette, redhead, they're all beautiful. To each his own.

I have both, and both are great watches.

6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 15, 2019

Such a weird question. You yourself describe the “real” opinions.... is there a “ not real” opinion?

And maybe I’m just not paying attention but at least here I haven’t seen much negative view on them.

7. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 15, 2019

Surely everyone’s opinion is real, and the Reduced is discussed regularly so I am not totally sure what extra you are looking. A recent thread discussing a similar watch touched on this and may offer some insight into some of the reasoning behind some of the less positive opinions on these. If you like it, what do you care, if you really want to know there are reservations about the movement more than anything:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/if-...t-critique-of-this-watch.101551/#post-1325532

Edited Sep 16, 2019
  8. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Sep 15, 2019

Why don't you make an online poll with two options : love it, hate it.

?

9. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Sep 15, 2019

I like it, but I don't love it. Was tempted at one point but realised I far preferred the Longines Ultronic chronograph which shares a similarish setup but IMO is a far nicer implementation at a cheaper price.

The reduced will always play second fiddle to the Pro, people that like the reduced shouldn't care a jot but that's just the way it is.

10. mzinski Sep 15, 2019

Why do you think it will always play second fiddle?

11. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Sep 15, 2019

Because the pro is so highly regarded and with an amazing backstory, the reduced being so similar but with for most folk not preferable(dimensions making it feel slightly out of proportion for many, expensive and limited servicing options etc.) changes it's almost unavoidable. The conflicted views over the years have only served to cement this.

I personally wouldn't let the above put me off, but as mentioned I found a better option for my own taste which covers nicely the smaller dimensions but also for my taste looks even more amazing.

12. Canuck Sep 15, 2019

The reduced will always play second fiddle to the Pro.

When people are asked for an opinion on the Speedmaster reduced, this is typical of the sort of answer that surfaces! If only they would add, “IN MY OPINION” to the statement! IN MY OPINION, I prefer my reduced to my Speedmaster Professional!

blufinz52 likes this.
  13. Ryguy008 Sep 15, 2019

Coming from someone who’s owned both..

I really liked my reduced! It was a great watch with a bulletproof movement. Although slightly smaller it still looked nice on the wrists; and for the price you can get some at they’re a great value for money.

However I now have a moon watch and quite frankly I wish I bought it sooner. There’s something about hand winding that movement that gets me. At 20mm lug spacing instead of 19 it’s more versatile for straps, and the caseback is more appealing to me. It’s an iconic watch that can be had for not much more.

Both are beautiful watches. I’ve come to enjoy both, but I moved on from my reduced and now only wear the pro. It’s really tough to stack up against such an amazing watch

blufinz52 likes this.
  14. vienna Sep 15, 2019

To me it was the connex to the moon and space in general, both great watches but I wanted the „original“. Saying that i remains a matter of taste.

Kind regards Max

15. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Sep 15, 2019

Does it really matter? Surely it's obvious I'm not speaking for everyone? I often put IMO after things I write but that really shouldn't be an essential. In honestly it isn't really my own opinion anyway, as I stated above I actually like it. But I've read enough about these over the years on a ton of forums to gather that is the common opinion(common, but of course not everbodys), right or wrong.

16. Ville_W Sep 15, 2019

The problem is that we all are so familiar with the proportions of a professional that the reduced looks totally off. Nothing wrong with this reference but it will always be compared with the pro.

17. MRC Sep 15, 2019

What is this "we" Kemosabi?

I might have seen a Pro in the wild, and have seen just one Reduced (*) other than mine. After three years it is still growing on me and has now reached the position of default watch. The global "we" don't get much of a chance to make a proper comparision except on special GTGs -- and I have only been to Heuer GTGs :p

(*) Owner denied it was automatic on being complimented on it, maybe I should have made him an offer on the spot if he was having regrets?

Nobel Prize likes this.
  18. saulgoodman Sep 15, 2019

First of all, ignore the condescending comments. These forums are filled with people that will clutter the threads with hate just because. The best thing you can do is not engage them and leave them to their hate.

As for the Speedy Reduced. I love it. I own a Speedy Pro and I would never give it up, but I will be the first to admit that it is a big watch that taxes my 7" wrist to the limit. Thankfully it has a decent lug to lug. The Reduced has a more appealing 39mm size, and while I love manual wind watches there are many who appreciate the automatic movement offered by the Reduced a bit more. It is a lovely watch. Enjoy it!

19. Canuck Sep 15, 2019

+1

20. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Sep 15, 2019

Where are these condescending and hateful comments you mention? The guy asked for opinions and I think that's what followed, I can't see any hate here, just open discussion. Some people seem a bit over sensitive.

gostang9 and Nobel Prize like this.