Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Reduced 3510.50, A Job Too Far?

1. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Nov 6, 2012

Hi,
    A couple of questions, I saw this on the bay and right now it is very cheap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Speed...933751019?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item27cc720cebPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

do you think the repair will be horribly pricey? I think I will have to take it to Omega as my watch guy is good with the vintage stuff but don't know if he can handle this.

Also, does anyone know / trust the seller? He has another piece I am interested in but I have heard of fakes coming out of Chiba Japan. This sounds stupid but he points out the demerits of the stuff he is selling which at least makes him seem honest!
    thanks
    $(KGrHqRHJEsFBjrH)4H(BQk!WZtRjg~~60_57.JPG

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 6, 2012

Seller is 100% trustworthy. I've heard service on these speedy autos is very expensive. Often local watchmakers just order an entirely new chrono module rather than do the servicing.

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 6, 2012

I am not expert in servicing watch but Cal 1140 is based on ETA 2892 which should be pretty common and serviceable by many watchrepairers. However Omega has added chronograph module so I don't know how difficult it would be.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 6, 2012

Personally I just never warmed up to the Speedy Reduced. The name says it all. It's like it is not a grown-up watch.

5. ulackfocus Nov 6, 2012

Count on it to end around $1000, give or take $150. That's the usual selling price for them. It costs just as much to service one of these as any other chronograph because of that DD module on top.

Never liked the way the subdials look on this dial. It just looks awkward compared to the regular sized black dialed Speedmasters.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 7, 2012

I'd walk away, a good one in good shape will cost less than buying this one then servicing it.

7. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Nov 7, 2012

Yeah don't go for that watch. Repairing it will be expensive and finding one without problems is somewhere is the 1200-1500 depending on year and package. Gluck!

8. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Nov 7, 2012

Thanks guys, I will follow your suggestions and forget it, just not worth it

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 7, 2012

Good call. Restoration isn't a bad option on watches that are at the least uncommon or rare, but when its a plentiful watch like this, if the owner could have restored it before sale to reach the normal going price, he would have, and you don't want to inherit someone else's mess.

10. JonW Plongeur Professionnel de Bureaux Nov 8, 2012

What they said... When bricks n mortar sellers like Nick Hacko sell these for sub Au$1900 you dont want to throw that much cash at a project, buy one that runs with warranty and be done.