Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Recommendations please

1. nxw1969 Dec 9, 2014

Hi,

I am looking for a cheap Speedmaster every day wearer.

I've always been a Constellation person, so know very little about Speedmasters and the variations available.

I'm looking to spend under £1000 and from within the UK

Ive had a look at a few on ebay, but would appreciate any info as to potential redials restorations - I can spot them a mile off on a constellation, but not on a Speedmaster.

Thanks

2. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 9, 2014

You may have to go with a speedie auto rather than a pro at that budget, especially in Europe. Also, you don't get that many redialed speedies, it is a lot easier to just put a new dial in (easily available) rather than repaint an old dial

3. nxw1969 Dec 9, 2014

Thanks Shaun - I know I am on the low budget side, but I am just looking for an everyday wearer, so any advice or recommendations is welcome

4. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 9, 2014

Sorry, the bad news is you won't get a working Speedmaster in the UK for £1000.

For anything worth wearing you're looking at £1500-1800 for anything that's 20-40 years old. Even then you need to factor in £200-300 on top for a service.

5. nxw1969 Dec 9, 2014

Hi,

I have just bought this watch for £760. I know its not a top model, but it looks like the kind of watch I was looking for.

Can you guys give me a bit of info and let me know if I have bought a lemon.

Thanks

Speedmaster.JPG Speedmaster2.JPG
    ConElPueblo and alam like this.
  6. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 9, 2014

The main thing is that is what is called a Speedmaster Reduced. It's an entirely different watch to the Speedmaster Professional or "Moonwatch".

That said, they're good watches to wear and do a job. They don't command the same prices as the Moonwatch but they are very popular outside the collector community. Yours looks to be in good cosmetic condition - do you know anything about the service history?

7. nxw1969 Dec 9, 2014

Thanks Spiki.

I know its not a high end model, but I as I mentioned, I just want to wear it every day, and my main concern is that it isn't a bad restoration or worse.

I do want a Moonwatch at a later date, but am hoping this one is a reasonable first step outside constellations

8. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 9, 2014

Well, based on what you want this is a winner. Fits your budget, looks great 9After all few people will see the difference between this and a pro as you wear it. Those that do, care, the rest will just admire a great looking watch. :)

Congrats, now put it on and beat the crap out of it!!

9. nxw1969 Dec 9, 2014

Thanks Sergio - I dont know the difference to be honest, I can spot a fake or tampered with pie pan connie within a second of looking at it, but Speedmasters seem like a bit of a minefield, with so many models and variations.

I plan on doing some research before parting with my money for a pro, as I'm a bit of an impulse buyer.

10. nxw1969 Dec 9, 2014

I also thought that a reduced Speedmaster, meant the price had been lowered!!! ::facepalm1::

11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 9, 2014

As am I, but then you have to live with the consequences. I can tell you this forum has a wealth of knowledge on the models, benefits and drawbacks of each model. As someone that is not an expert, but love my watches, the only advice i can give you is to have clear idea of what and why are you buying a Speedy Pro. For a collector a 321cal is a must, as that is the actual moon watch. For an aficionado that wants the thrill of having a historic and gorgeous model that is as accurate and close to the original as possible then the Hesalite models with up to the 861 or 1861 models are the norm (I have one with the 1861.) For watch lovers that love these watches and what their represent on their well earned place in horology history and design the more modern models with the sapphire sandwich, automatic movements, and added variations are the norm. They forego "authenticity" (which is really a fictional concept unless you are actually buying a vintage 321, although the 861 cal has been in space, but I don't think in the moon...along with Rolex and many other watches) for the practicality of automatic winding or the durability of sapphire...or the added blast of a see through back case. That's what I have learned. On hindsight I would have loved to get a 321 or go for the modern sapphire sandwich, but at the time and on my budget I let myself be guided by marketing. On my defense I learned about 321 etc etc after my purchase so I got the best I could with my knowledge., and let's face it; it's still a great watch and I love to wear it!

x84457-d2d6a89e60c816210d400f5145f8e58e.jpg.pagespeed.ic.AShJZ7j0O-.jpg
    Tritium and nxw1969 like this.
  12. Norfolk Dec 9, 2014

I fear I am going down the 321 hunt after securing my 1969 861

Nobel Prize likes this.
  13. Mothra Dec 10, 2014

That's a good price for a uk reduced....

14. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 10, 2014

Because they can be a financial liability.

Search this forum for "Speedmaster reduced service"

15. Mothra Dec 10, 2014

Agreed, but before I let a friend buy the one I was selling to help find my purchase of your hour vision (!) I checked with watchful, who charges the same for these as any other chrono.....

16. ConElPueblo Dec 10, 2014

That makes two of us...

:oops: