Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Racing Dial MK II - New Arrival - Advice Wanted

1. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 6, 2015

Hi!
    Bought this one on a (local) auction last night. It will require some TLC for sure, but I was wondering if I have missed something important? I am not an expert on these Speedmasters.

I have a full return policy on the purchase so if anything turns out bad I will get a full refund.

My plan (for now) is to have it fully cleaned/serviced including a new mineral glass (with integrated Tachy Scale).
    I might consider having the case professionally refreshed, but no decision on this until I have it in hand.

All input appreciated!:thumbsup:
    01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg 07.jpg 08.jpg 09.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg

oddboy and marturx like this.
  2. marturx Jan 6, 2015

I looked at that one too. A very good specimen in my eyes. I would never dream of touching the case. Leave it as is.

If it wasn´t because I already have one, I would have made a move on it. Instead I got myself a very nice CB-case 105.012-66, my first purchase for 2015! :)

Northernman likes this.
  3. pascs Jan 6, 2015

To be honest I think that looks really good :thumbsup:

With a full service, new crystal, pushers and crown it should be a great piece. For now I'd be tempted to leave the case as it is, its very difficult to get a good finish when refinishing these cases

Northernman likes this.
  4. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 6, 2015

I tend to agree on leaving the case "as is". ;) I assume a good cleaning will freshen its appearance a lot compared to the images.
    Strange that the auction house does not even bother to wipe of fingerprints before their photo session!? ::confused2::

I have had Adam (@photo500 ) redo two 145.008 cases for me and his results are spectacular. The project with these is still "ongoing" in the sense that I need to bring the cases and movements together (ie ship it all to a watchmaker), but the shape of these are much the same as the 145.015 and Adam made the cases look NOS.
    I will post more on that project later on. The one on the left had been polished round as a piece of soap, but Adam managed to make it look very much more presentable IMO!
    0a7b8bdef5ca2dfec9dec983125fd2e1.jpg

5. marturx Jan 6, 2015

I agree that Adam makes a spectacular job on MkII cases and similars. I was going to send him an Heuer Autavia automatic chronograph case to work on, but the watch was sold as-is before I got to do it.

IMO this measure, restoring cases, is to be saved as a last resort. Your latest Speedy MKII, is in a perfect vintage condition, why spoil that? If it ain´t broken, don´t fix it!

Northernman likes this.
  6. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 6, 2015

I do agree. My Chronostop 145.008 cases was far from the condition on my new 145.014 and really needed this. The 145.014 seems to be fine as is, and as I mentioned, should look much better without all the gunk and fingerprints in the photos.
    :)

7. Pahawi Jan 6, 2015

Congrats Anders:thumbsup: Had my eye on it too, but thought you should have it :p

If fingerprints can scare other bidders away, the more the better :)

Northernman likes this.
  8. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 6, 2015

How true!

9. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 6, 2015

try to get a pulsometer scale crystal from watchco. rarer and looks good. kind regards. achim

10. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 6, 2015

Hi Achim,
    A friend of mine, with access to some very advanced surface polishing machines, will try to refurb the original mineral glass. He has actually done this to perfection on a couple of watches already. I will leave this as an option to look at when we see if it works out or not!

marturx likes this.
  11. pascs Jan 6, 2015

Do you intend to keep the existing crystal in the case? The crystal isnt aligned correctly in the case so if you intend to keep it in the case, you'll need to try and turn it. Personally I'd just replace it with a new one (and the o-ring), they are cheap and most likely the current one is a recent replacement anyway.

marturx likes this.
  12. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 6, 2015

Hi! It will come out. If it breaks it will be replaced. Service item glass is about GBP45. Not exactly cheap in my book. generic ones are no-go since the tachy scale on these are printed directly inside on the crystal.
    My friend suggested that he try his magic first;)
    O-Ring will be replaced, and of course the tachy scale will be aligned correctly.

marturx likes this.
  13. pascs Jan 6, 2015

I thought GBP45 wasnt too bad to me ;)

Also you'll need the correct tool for replacing the glass along with the o-ring

14. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 6, 2015

Tools are at hand;)! I always find it refreshing to be able to re-furbish/use an original part rather than replacing with new if possible. GBP45 is not a lot in itself, however if you have 10-15 of those "minor sums of money" a year and it all will add up!

15. rogart ray it again, Ram. Jan 6, 2015

Looking really nice :). Keep as it is .Change the crystal and service the movement . If you refurbish the case you have to buy a new bracelet to . And a new dial and hands . You want be satisfied until you got a new looking watch . Trust me i now :D

Northernman likes this.