Forums Latest Members
  1. ryanbk Jun 29, 2017

Hi all.
    I recently bought a 105.012 that needs new pushers. Having looked into these I find myself unsure as to what the original dimensions are supposed to be.
    Major info sources like "Moonwatch only" says these "wide & short" should be 5 x 2,7 mm whereas "speedmaster101.com" says 5 x 3 mm. I realise the difference is minute but still... The devil is in the detail and what is correct?
    I found that the same small difference is present when looking at the "medium" sized pushers for ref 105.003 where "mvo" says 4,5 x 3 mm and speedmaster101.com says 4,5 x 3,5 mm.

2. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jun 29, 2017

The 105.012 had two different case manufacturers so maybe two different pusher sizes? It's not very often that William and his little black book are wrong.

Edited Jun 29, 2017
  3. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jun 29, 2017

I have just measured the pushers of my 105.012-65 (pictured below) using a x4 loupe. They seem to be just about 5mm wide and slightly less than 3mm deep. Simon Freese formerly of STS examined them and said they were original and correct. That being the case, I decided not to have them replaced during the service.
    (My watch has an HF case. Only the 105.012-66 had the CB cases.)
    20170507_170347-1-1.jpg
    Just an additional thought: I'm pretty sure That, in addition to the actual pusher button size, the pusher tube thickness of the 105.012 is also a factor in them being correct???
    Anyway... if you can detect 0.3 of a mm by eye your a better man than I am.::shy::

Cheers.
    Jonathan.

Edited Jun 30, 2017
    gemini4 likes this.
  4. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jun 29, 2017

You got a watch back from a service with pusher tubes like that?

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  5. ryanbk Jun 29, 2017

No, I bought the watch like this. Unknown when they have been changed.

6. ryanbk Jun 29, 2017

Great looking watch, Jonathan. Looks correct to my untrained eye as well. And I believe you're right about the tube size being a factor too. The later, service ones have a thinner tube diameter.
    My question was more of a wonder as to the discrepancy between these two highly regarded sources of information/facts...
    Maybe this is due to the fact that no one knows for sure and that pusher dimensions are a result of numerous observations and deductions and so the truth may be that for the 105.012 correct diameter is between 2,7 and 3,0 mm?

Edited Jun 30, 2017
  7. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jun 30, 2017

Ahhh I see. Yes, it's all a work in progress.
    Have a look at the 'Time4apint' podcast links. (They can be found if you search the user name @tyrantlizardrex ) Chris's 3rd interview is with William (@Spacefruit ).

In it he goes through the the circumstances that led him to set up Speedmaster101. If you listen to this interview you will get an idea of how little information their was, and how he collects the information that forms the basis of Speedmaster101. It's a constantly evolving resource in which he adds or corrects technical information as it becomes 'known' to him.

One of the sources that Speedmaster101 references is MWO and the 'Contact page' contains this statement; " Please let me know if you see something that you think needs changing or updating. I know only what I learn, and I am always open to learning more." (Quote is from Speedmaster101)

This process, which includes making adjustments as information becomes known, is also true of Moon Watch Only. The 2nd edition includes slight revisions that are different to the 1st edition. These could be found online until the 2nd edition of MWO was published.

I think questions (such as yours) that are raised on this forum, encourage debate. In turn that debate may uncover evidence that can contribute to what is 'known'. In that sense, this forum is also a great resource.

Cheers.
    Jonathan.

Edited Jun 30, 2017
  8. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jun 30, 2017

Ha! They ain't really green @dennisthemenace. That was a light reflection. (As photographers go, I'm a complete tosspot. I've inserted a better photo.)::shy::

I didn't want the case polished and wanted the original 50+ year old pushers and tubes retained. I quite like the tarnish on the tubes and they work perfectly now. This ain't some over prepared dealer watch Dennis... That's 100%, genuine, original family tarnish, aquired, by my 'old Dad', over 50 years, out and about in London! That ain't dealer tarnish mate!:D

Edited Jun 30, 2017