Forums Latest Members
  1. Lucius Max Jul 3, 2017

Greetings,

I was recently given an Omega Speedmaster Professional Mark IV by my father, which if I'm not mistaken is from 1973. I do not know much about this watch and was wondering if anyone had any information on this specific model, such as things to be careful with, special treatment, quirks, known issues, etc.

Also, I noticed that the metal sides of the bracelet's clasp have been widened (bent) somehow to let the clasp sit more flush to the bracelet, which is too wide apparently. I'm guessing someone had the bracelet set shorter (for a smaller wrist) but since the width of the bracelet gets wider, at some point it just gets too wide for the clasp. Seems like an odd thing to me and I have no idea why anyone would do that.

Is it possible to have the clasp fixed? Should I replace the bracelet? If anyone wants to throw in their two cents I would appreciate it. Thanks!

(Also, is it normal to be able to slightly hear the automatic movement/rotor moving when the watch is shifted around?)

FullSizeRender 11.jpg FullSizeRender 12.jpg IMG_1320.JPG FullSizeRender 13.jpg
  2. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jul 3, 2017

It looks like someone was unable, or couldn't be bothered to take a couple of links out to make the bracelet fit.
    Does the bracelet fit your wrist as it is? There looks to be room in the clasp to give you another 20mm if it's too small. The clasp can be carefully bent back to shape if that's the case.
    I would be surprised if there aren't at least a couple of removable links under the clasp, not shown in the photo's

3. Lucius Max Jul 3, 2017

Hello and thanks for responding! The fit is a little snug for my taste and I do have some extra links for it that were also given. I live in New York so I'm wondering if I should just go to the Omega boutique there and ask them to fix the bent clasp and resize the bracelet for me.

I was also curious about seeing if there was a way to replace the dial with the all-black version, as mine has the blue bit on the sub-dial. Though I'm not sure I'd do it even if I could.

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jul 3, 2017

If you don't feel confident to move the bracelet back a hole or two in the clasp, then yes ,take it to the boutique, but it really is a two minute job, and wouldn't you feel better if you did it yourself?

5. Lucius Max Jul 3, 2017

To be honest I wouldn't know how to move the bracelet back unfortunately. If you have any info on how to do that I'd very much appreciate it.

Another silly question: for this type of clasp, is it meant to be opened by lifting the end of the clasp that is opposite the stamped logo? Because I can't seem to open in from the end closest to the stamp, which makes me think it's not meant to be. But since I know nothing of this watch and it is my first Omega I wanted to make sure there wasn't a problem with it. Thanks again.

6. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jul 3, 2017

Well you must have opened the clasp already, how else do you know it's a snug fit?
    I think I'm wasting my time here.

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 3, 2017

http://bfy.tw/Ce7V

8. Lucius Max Jul 3, 2017

Like I said, I'm unfamiliar with these watches. For all I know I could be opening the clasp incorrectly and damaging something along the way. I'd rather make sure :) Thanks for your help and your time.

9. Lucius Max Jul 3, 2017

10. bama2141 Jul 3, 2017

First off -- nice watch!

The dial with the blue color is what's called a service dial. The watch originally had the all black version with tritium type luminous markers. Most likely the tritium stopped glowing due to age, and the dial it was changed out to the blue version when the watch was serviced. The all black version is no longer made or stocked by Omega. You can sometimes find the black version on ebay.

Your clasp has significantly more adjustment available. The holes you see on the sides of the clasp are adjustment positions. It appears you have a further 5 available positions to lengthen the bracelet without having to resort to added links. If you look closely, you can see the tips of the springbar poking out from the holes in the clasp. If you use a toothpick or the tip of a pencil, you can poke the pin inward and release the springbar -- then reset it in a hole closer to the end. If you do this yourself be prepared to keep the springbar from shooting across the room! Any jeweler can do this for you.

Finally, this MKIV Speedmaster was one of the first self winding versions (after the MarkIII and the 125). As such, the rotor system seems heavier and less less refined than more recent versions. I don't think it's unusual for you to be able to feel it move.

Mine says hi ---

IMG_3602.JPG

Interstellar likes this.
  11. bama2141 Jul 3, 2017

You open the clasp by pulling on the end with the logo

12. Lucius Max Jul 3, 2017

Hello! Thank you so much for the information and the warm welcome, you've been very helpful. I like this model as well and I was thinking of maybe even getting a nice leather band for it instead of the metal bracelet. Thanks to the link efauser sent me I figured out how to adjust the bracelet; now I just need to figure out how to safely bend the clasp sides back how they should be...

In regards to opening the clasp, I can't seem to open it from the end with the logo, which I thought was odd since it has that little protrusion that would suggest so. I've been opening it by pulling on the end opposite the logo. If that's not normal could it be that the clasp is attached incorrectly or something?

13. timestamp Jul 4, 2017

As for rotor movement: It depends on the actual sound. If it is a very smooth, light whirring or purring, that is fine and expected. However, old chrono movements, and especially the Cal. 1040, can have worn rotor bearings, which then might cause an audible scratching or grinding sound when the rotor touches the case back. It's also possible (in bad cases) you might be able to feel the rotor shifting vertically when accelerating the watch perpendicular to the dial.

14. timestamp Jul 4, 2017

Erm... goes without saying that in this case, you should have the watch serviced a.s.a.p.

15. Lucius Max Jul 4, 2017

Hi, thank you for the input. The sound of the movement is like a whirring as you say, reminds me a bit of the sound of a smooth ball bearing moving as well; it's not a very obvious noise.

The watch was taken in for service by my older brother about two years ago at an authorized Omega repair center in San Francisco's Shreve building. I was thinking maybe of bringing it to the Omega boutique in NYC since I live there, and have them take a look at it. Perhaps that's unnecessary though.