Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster professional chronograph problem

1. aghomi Jan 1, 2016

I just bought a new Speedmaster Professional from an AD. Today I noticed that the hour subdial hand sits slightly to the right of 12 mark.
    When activating the chronograph, the hour subdial (the subdial at 6 O'Clock) reached the one hour mark about 15 minutes early (after the minute hand has made 1.5 turns ).
    Any thoughts?
    Should I return the watch or have it serviced as it is under warranty?
    I am disappointed !!!

image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jan 1, 2016

Definitely take it back. I'd be disappointed too.

aghomi likes this.
  3. PatrickJ Jan 1, 2016

They will exchange it for another one. Do not let them send it to Omega you just purchased it

gemini4 and aghomi like this.
  4. aghomi Jan 1, 2016

Thanks for the advice. I cannot wrap my head around how this happens to a brand new luxury watch with relatively simple mechanics!

5. flyingout Jan 1, 2016

I'm not sure I'd use "simple mechanics" to describe these guys. One of the watchmakers among us might come along to give us an idea of what's going on.

Did it act like that from day one or did it develop the problem later?
    20141218_111517-1.jpg

6. aghomi Jan 1, 2016

7. aghomi Jan 1, 2016

I have had it for two days only!
    I am not sure if the hour subdial hand was always a bit off to the right.
    That made me test the chronograph function and let it run for one hour.
    Unfortunately, I may not be able to return it. The AD states that's what the warranty is for . I am hoping it can be fixed without long term issues.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 1, 2016

If you press in and hold the reset button, is the hand lined up any better? So does the hand move off the mark when you let the reset button go?

If so, then the hour recorder runner and hammer could be magnetized, or there could be too much oil present on the cam, causing the runner to stick to the hammer and move when the hammer comes away from the cam.

If it is just as misaligned when the reset button is pressed in as when it is released, then the hand has just been installed slightly off.

Neither of these things are particularly hard to fix. Although this is a relatively simple movement to work on, keep in mind this is still a mass produced widget, and certainly not everyone that rolls out of the factory will be 100% perfect.

I know everyone will say they should exchange it, but that is not how the warranties read, unless there is a specific law in your country that allows for exchanges rather than repairs under warranty (no idea where you are located). The more you wear it the greater the chances they will not exchange it, so I would put it away until you get a decision. Also note that if they exchange it, that one will likely go right back into the display until the next not so picky customer comes along...

Cheers, Al

arkstfan likes this.
  9. aghomi Jan 1, 2016

No, the subdial hour hand position in relation to the 12 mark does not change when the reset is released, it is ever so slightly off to the right of 12 when flies back. I appreciate your input and don't have my hopes high for an exchange.
    I just would have assumed these watches would have passed inspection before getting rolled out. What's the point of getting a Speedy if the chronograph is not working? Should have stuck with my Apple watch!

10. Maximus84 Jan 2, 2016

I know it's annoying (to put it mildly) to spend all that cash then discover a problem with such an item, but bear with it. I would think you'd be entitled to an ax change but if not, certainly a service. I know a lot of people here advise against that option. However, when I bought my Speedy Pro just over a year ago (my first 'luxury' watch), I noticed a bit of debris on the movement through the case back. As the AD had none in stock (this watch was ordered directly from Omega) they offered to send it for service. It came back within 2 weeks, with the issue fixed and even more accurate than it was prior to the service. A year later it's been faultless.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that a service rather than exchange may not be all that bad, just ensure its being sent to a genuine Omega service centre and you're happy with the work when it returns.

Hope it works out for you, keep the faith!

11. aghomi Jan 2, 2016

Thank you for your comments. I let the chrono run for 10 hours and it landed precisely on the 12 mark when !!!

12. aghomi Jan 2, 2016

released.

13. rwilner Jan 2, 2016

I had the same problem with a tag heuer Monaco.

I had it fully services under warranty. Been running great for six months.

It was annoying waiting 6 weeks for it, but in the grand scheme...who cares.

14. Prestonbarnett Aug 2, 2019

Hey al I know this is super old but I posted a couple days ago about a new Speedy I got and just noticed today that the hour subdial was slightly misaligned when starting and saw your post about clicking and holding the reset for a second and it looks like it may have realigned it. Why is that something that works? I thought I will just have to live with it or get it serviced lol

15. Prestonbarnett Aug 2, 2019

It does look like when I hold and reset it aligns back but when I start again it goes very slightly off center

16. ext1 Aug 2, 2019

Yes this is just a speedmaster thing. If you reset by pressing the reset pusher only lightly, the hour counter does not go straight to 12. Especially the more away from 12 the hour counter hand is. So, just make sure to press strongly and you'll be fine.

17. Prestonbarnett Aug 2, 2019

If I press harder it goes back to 12 but as soon as I start the chrono again it jumps off center. So freaking weird man

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 3, 2019

You do need to give it a firm press, but I would caution against pressing really hard. The hour counter hand is attached to a wheel that is on the dial side of the movement, and this is driven directly off the mainspring barrel. One post of that wheel sits in a hole drilled in the brass main plate, and if you press the reset too hard, the hammer can press on the cam enough to distort the hole in the main plate, as you see here:

[​IMG]

Once that happens and the hole is made oval, the issues getting the hand to line up only get worse. So certainly give the pusher a quick sharp press on the reset, but don't lean into it with a ton of pressure, or you can damage the main plate.

Cheers, Al

Mad Dog, ext1 and ReturnOfUltraman like this.
  19. ReturnOfUltraman Aug 3, 2019

Wow, honestly never knew about that. TIL.

20. ext1 Aug 3, 2019

Yikes! Didn't know that as well. Thank you for the explanation! Learn something new every day.