Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Pro vs Speedmaster w/Complications-Value Differences

1. Prange Apr 12, 2015

I've been looking to buy a used Speedmaster Pro and I've noticed that the Pro values are significantly higher than the versions with any complications and higher than the automatics.

Is it just a supply/demand issue? Or are there any issues with the non-Pro versions?

Thanks.

2. Maximus84 Apr 12, 2015

Well, the Pro is pretty ubiquitous and there is never really short of supply. Of course, the chrono is a complication but I get you are referring to the reduced/day-date/racing etc versions of the Speedmaster. The thing with the Pro is that it is kind of the original, and has the heritage and pedigree to back up the value. I am aware that calling it the 'original' isn't quite accurate, as you have the 1957 versions and the 'FOIS' (First Omega In Space) but the Pro became the Pro due to the NASA connection and the fact it is the 'Moonwatch'.

All subsequent iterations of the Speedmaster (of which I am certainly no expert) have never really come up to the same level. That doesn't mean they aren't quality watches, and many people enjoy them, but they aren't Moonwatches.

It has been said that perhaps some of the movements in the reduced series for example may not have the pedigree of the 321/861/1861 (and derivatives) of the Moonwatch. For example, some movements have a 'piggyback' chrono module attached to the time module, which is apparently a pain to service, meaning the whole module gets replaced. This means a service on these particular watches can be close to the value of the watch!

I am sorry if this is a bit vague with respect to actual models, calibres etc - I am really a novice at this game but this is the gist of what I have picked up over my (relatively short) time here. There are many much more knowledgeable people on here that should be able to give you more specific and technical advice (and will surely correct me if I am way off the mark with any of the above!)

Frunkinator likes this.
  3. Prange Apr 13, 2015

Sounds logical to me. Thanks for the input. I'm new to Omegas myself.

The prices on the non-Pro versions sure are tempting.