Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Pro Moon Service Case

1. amedman Sep 22, 2017

Hello All,

I am in need of a Speedmaster Pro Case. It must be Gen and I am OK with going with a service case since I am trying to keep the cost down.

What are the groups thoughts on this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-Speed...792095?hash=item3f8769b79f:g:wNgAAOSw-0xYT0SXPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I hate buying from the Bay but the price to me seems very good. Is it genuine? Is the price reasonable? I contacted the seller and he was real responsive claiming to be a watchmaker for 29 years. He has good FB and has sold these cases before. He claims to buy them from supplier in Germany and sells them here in the USA. I contacted a few sources and they have all indicated that with the Swatch group crackdown on parts, cases are much harder to find.

Thanks!

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 22, 2017

Shailor likes this.
  3. Meme-Dweller Sep 22, 2017

You should ask a watchmaker with a parts account. Believe it or not, they are often cheaper than eBay, many times half the price.

Shailor likes this.
  4. amedman Sep 22, 2017

I contacted Watcho direct and they said they could not beat this price. One watchmaker in England I contacted said he could not match that price with VAT and that I should be careful since someone offering it this low on Ebay seems "dodgy". I only know two Omega watchmakers and they do not wish to supply cases given the pressure from Swatch to not sell parts.

wsfarrell likes this.
  5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 22, 2017

I think you know the answer about the case you posted, its counterfeit.

Note the differences in the two case backs, the quality of the engraved writing as well as the subtle (or not so subtle) differences on the Speedmaster medallion.

First photo is genuine Watchco case second is fake from eBay listing.

Someone please correct me if my assessment is wrong.

s-l1600-5.jpg s-l1600-7.jpg

mikechi22 likes this.
  6. Shailor Sep 22, 2017

I think both are good. Just the quality of the photo in the top picture is better. Note the letters align the same and they both have the little laser etched Omega logo in the same spot. BTW, there is some question (posed by me) as to when these first appeared on Speedmaster Professionals.

7. amedman Sep 22, 2017

Lugduno likes this.
  8. amedman Sep 22, 2017

[​IMG]

9. amedman Sep 22, 2017

The engraving is different than the full case engraving and very close to the one you state is a counterfeit. This one must predate the laser engraving though. Other pictures of the "counterfeit" show accurate laser engraving and pearlization of the inner case as well as the omega symbol in the crystal.

10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 22, 2017

That's watchadoo not abouttime-ch formerly watchco. I'd say it's fake too.

11. amedman Sep 22, 2017

Another watcho but this has the laser etch as well. Looks identical to me. What am I missing? I do not want to support a counterfeit but I certainly tempted to give it a shot. Are there any other suppliers that anyone can recommend? Feel free send me a PM.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Om...032582?hash=item1ec0491006:g:3JQAAOSwt5hYh-VzPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]

12. amedman Sep 22, 2017

My understanding is Watchco=Watchadoo=abouttime-ch but I may be incorrect.

13. amedman Sep 22, 2017

The last one is from Abouttime-ch which for sure is Watchco

14. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 22, 2017

No AFAIK watchadoo is unrelated to abouttime-ch/watchco.

Regardless, there are very few true bargains, if it seems too cheap there is probably a reason.

Foo2rama likes this.
  15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 22, 2017

Yes you are incorrect. But the names do confuse people.

Foo2rama likes this.
  16. amedman Sep 22, 2017

Thanks for the clarification. Good to know. I always assumed (as well as many others) that Watcho was Watchadoo. Am I still correct that abouttime is watchco?

17. amedman Sep 24, 2017

So I am about to pull the trigger. Any final opinions? Real/Fake? All input is appreciated.

18. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 24, 2017

As far as I'm concerned the only genuine one is from abouttine-ch. Buy any others at your own peril.

19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 25, 2017

Yes, watchco and abouttime are the same.