Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Pro, JLC Moonphase and Orator Chrono Help

1. OmegaFancier Oct 18, 2015

Hi again all. I have an opportunity to attend an auction in a couple days that's fairly small and rural but they will have three watches that I am interested in and know little about. I apologize for the abominable pictures but they are all that's available. My question would be are any of these particularly collectible, and going by the poor pictures what would be a reasonable bid? Any glaring issues with them? I like all three but would not be willing to pay above what the current market value is for any one of them. I am told by the auction house that the movements are correct to the watches and in "working order", but of course I take that with a grain of salt and will be factoring that in in my thought process during the bidding. Thanks for the help, it's sincerely appreciated. Hopefully one day I can be the one to help others concerning vintage watches! Best regards. kako-hWsYcdP2QJMKOpkL.jpg kako-RwYyzjh7wdcO6EhB.jpg kako-KVP3wqFr10noINAt.jpg kako-pEfgtlzLRc2Mkbcz.jpg

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 19, 2015

The Moonwatch is probably the most valuable of the three. Based on the box, my guess is it dates to the late 1980's or early 1990's. You can buy the same watch brand new for under $4,000 if you shop hard enough. So do a search on eBay and see what similar watches go for.

The LeCoultre is my favorite of the three. I'm assuming it is gold plated from the picture. Dial looks to be original, but can't tell for sure in that picture taken from Mars. If all 4 hands are they are and the watch is in good condition, it's a 4-figure watch all day long. Maybe $2,000 if condition is really good. However, a service is going to be very expensive and parts are nearly impossible to find, if needed.

The Orator is a generic Swiss chronograph, with relumed hands. Not something I would be running after with an open wallet.
    gatorcpa

Geo! likes this.
  3. OmegaFancier Oct 20, 2015

Thank you very much for the reply and the information, gator. Like a young Jedi learning how to use the Force I will use this advice to arm myself tomorrow at the auction! I too like the LeCoultre the most and I will be in it for up to about 1k if the watch looks nice in person. May bid on the Speedy as well but there are so many variables and nuanced differences in these that I'm uncomfortable to bid unless it goes for considerably less than the prices I drummed up on Ebay. Thanks again for all that you do and taking time to help the uninitiated.