Forums Latest Members

WTB Speedmaster Pro for project 861/1861)

1. ashleysteadman Nov 30, 2013

Hi All!

I love my watches especially my latest addition Speedy Pro with 861 movement. I love it so much that I want more of them!!

I'm looking for a (relatively) "cheap" Omega Speedmaster with 861/1861 movement, it doesn't need to be in great cosmetic condition as I want to restore it, in fact it would be preferable if it's in need of TLC but the movement needs to be in a running or serviceable condition.

I'm also potentially keen to just buy a movement if there are any forum members with them floating around.

Thanks!

Ashley

2. Tritium Dec 1, 2013

So, you bought one of those nice NOS case and dial from the Bay?

3. ashleysteadman Dec 1, 2013

Hi Tritium, no I haven't purchased anything yet - this is going to be my project for the new year - sourcing everything to end up with a customised Speedmaster :) I already have a standard black-faced "Moon Watch" Speedy and I'm planning to end up with something like this, but with the Omega Kevlar strap and deployment clasp:

Speedy.jpg

I will either buy a brand new case or just replace crystal, bezels, pushers etc. - in the end it depends on the condition of whatever watch/movement I get my hands on.

I have a very good watchmaker here in Sydney who I'm going to commission to do the restoration, so it's probably going to cost a pretty penny but I really love the idea of putting an old movement into a new case and giving it a new lease of life, it appeals to me more than buying a brand new watch (of which I have a couple)... Display Caseback will probably feature too :)

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 2, 2013

5. Tritium Dec 2, 2013

Really nice project.
    I´ve also considered it and like your idea.
    It can be quite expensive, but you can have a good time and enjoy the experience.:thumbsup:

6. Tritium Dec 2, 2013

This is what I calculated several weeks ago for an all NOS parts except the movement, based on some eBay listings:

Case.........................$865
    Black Dial.................$209
    Hands.......................$140
    Movement Holder.....$80
    Dust Cover................$40
    Case back gasket.....$23
    Total..........................$1357

Then try to find a Mark II with a nice 861 movement like the one showed by Norman, maybe for ¿$1000-1200? and re-sell the parts later for recover part of the expenses. Nice strap and buckle ¿$100?, and finally put it all together and service the movement, maybe ¿$400?

At the end it could be on the $2500-3000 range. That´s why I decided to put in a bit more money and go for my first new watch.

7. ulackfocus Dec 2, 2013

BTW Ashley - great avatar. Dogs are a favorite around here.

T&H.png

8. ashleysteadman Dec 2, 2013

Thanks Tritium, yea that’s what I’ve been thinking in terms of costs. Seems I’m definitely not the only person considering this sort of project! It’s going to be one of those “labour of love” things I think! If I go ahead I’ll put together a thread and post updates if you’d be interested? What watch did you buy new?

Awesome, XJ350 thanks! That one looks like a great find!

Any thoughts on these?:

Vintage Omega Men's Wristwatch for RestorationPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Omega Speedmaster TEUTONICPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Omega De Ville Prestige ChronographPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I’ve got some concerns about the “serviceability” of the “restoration” movement, but I’m no expert watchmaker. Are there every any difficulties transplanting an 861 into a different case? (I’m aware you need spacers when fitting the sapphire caseback).

9. ashleysteadman Dec 2, 2013

And thanks ulackfocus - I love dogs - grew up surrounded by them but I currently live in an apartment so I can't have one :(

10. ashleysteadman Dec 5, 2013

Well... I've bought my movement! She's not much to look at now.... but with a bit of work (and $$$$.... $$)?

Movement.JPG

11. Tritium Dec 5, 2013

I´m interested in a thread with updates of the speedy project.

I´d probably have chosen the Mark II option, but who knows; maybe with a good clean and the correct replacement parts, it can do the function.
    I think you didn´t pay too much for it.

Let´s see what others say in your "help with parts" thread: http://omegaforums.net/threads/help-with-parts-vintage-experts-needed.8932/

12. ashleysteadman Dec 5, 2013

Thanks Tritium! Yea I only paid ~$360 for the movement which in my opinion is pretty cheap... bit of a gamble but I am a gambling man! I also much prefer the idea of bringing the movement "back to life" rather than just transplanting a working one from one case to another.

Once I start receiving things I'll create a thread for the project :)

13. ashleysteadman Dec 20, 2013