Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Pro Chronograph question: keep chronograph at 6 o'clock?

1. Mitch27 Aug 26, 2020

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn't find an answer.

I've got a speedy pro with a 1863 movement. For aesthetic reasons I want to keep the chronograph second hand at 6 o'clock. Alternatively I've read some use the second hand or minute timer as a date marker and move it forward a second or minute every day which seems handy as I do shift work and never remember the date!

Does anyone know if keeping the chronograph stopped at 6 o'clock or otherwise instead of in the reset 12 o'clock position will cause unnecessary wear or damage?

Cheers

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 26, 2020

No, it's fine.

Cheers, Al

pongster, Longbow, apsm100 and 6 others like this.
  3. Mitch27 Aug 26, 2020

Ah thanks mate.

Was hoping you'd see this, you seem to be the man with the knowledge! I've only just got it and was trawling for an answer and saw a bunch of your posts on running the chrono full time. Thanks for all the information you provide!

Pun likes this.
  4. Twocats Married... with children Aug 27, 2020

I also position mine at 6 o'clock for pure aesthetic reasons.

Mitch27 likes this.
  5. FreelanceWriter Aug 27, 2020

If I were going to do something different with it and didn't use the chronograph function a lot, I might synchronize it for use as a second time zone function.

Mitch27 likes this.
  6. Mitch27 Aug 27, 2020

That's clever as well.

Although from what I've read you'll get extra wear from having the chronograph running all the time. Still if it's useful the movement is still in production so not really a huge issue

7. Bugbait Aug 28, 2020

Extra wear from having it running it versus not? Well that's expected. A running watch will always wear more than a non-running one. The additional wear isn't anything to worry about as confirmed by @Archer on many occasions.

Mitch27 likes this.