Forums Latest Members
  1. thnkclrly Jun 4, 2015

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I recently bought this vintage speedy from mywatch.dk. I don't have the serial no but they said it was from around 1969 which seems reasonable given the ref. 1116 bracelet.

It feels strange though that the bracelet is too wide in the ends that connect to the watch. It's a little hard to tell on the photos but the last link is about 1mm wider than the width of the mount.

Has anyone seen this before? It's not a big issue but I'm just wondering.

The only other issue is that the hour hand on the chronograph doesn't reset to zero but lands about 1/4 between 12 and 1, and on rare occasions the minute and seconds hands will reset to 57 seconds and 3 min respectively. This is easily resolved just letting it run for five seconds and doing another reset.

Other than that it works like a charm. About 25 seconds fast per day which I can easily live with for now.

2. JJ. Jun 6, 2015

I recently bought a speedy with a 1116 bracelet as well. Mine fits inbetween the lugs easily, maybe even a little bit too much space left...
    Maybe someone know whether 1116 bracelets were made in different widths? Where yours says 11 on the clasp mine says 31, also yours has a gap in it, where mine doesn't... Mine was advertised as not original, so I'm not 100% sure on whether it's original...
    I hope it helps (or attracts someone that know more about it DSC01536.JPG DSC01537.JPG DSC01538.JPG )

3. SAN79Y Jun 6, 2015

I have just bought one and it looks like JJ's and the same 31 on the clasp. I would say someone has added an additional wider link to the end of your bracelet, especially as one of your skinny links is the wrong way round. That couldn't have happened without taking it apart. Perhaps it was on a watch with wider lugs previously.

Do you guys have any tips for taking links out? It took me hours to do one side and now I want to do the other to even it up but it is a nightmare!

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 6, 2015

I would more concerned about the new dial and hands.

Good bezel though.

5. thnkclrly Jun 7, 2015

Why "concerned" with new dial and hands?

6. SAN79Y Jun 8, 2015

You don't need to be concerned, it is not going to stop your enjoyment of the piece if you were happy to buy it like that. You will just find that collectors prefer originality on vintage pieces, and like to have digs at people new to the hobby on here like know-it-alls rather than actually help you with your query. Why not actually explain that irrelevant remark? Who knows. It just means that if you come to sell this piece, it will not command the same price as all original ones. This may not be of concern to you, so as I said, you can still be happy with it. I spotted they have been changed also, but I am sure you can see that they are a brand new bright white and not 40+ years old like the rest of the watch so didn't want to talk down to you. It does have a very nice early dot over 90 bezel which also points to your 69 age estimate, and nice sharp lug edges. As with any vintage watch purchase, I would check the movement serial and case ref match up age-wise unless you have seen photos from a trusted seller.

As well as my first guess on your bracelet fitting issues, I think that bracelet may be off a Mark II Speedmaster (they were available on a similar style bracelet in the early 70s) that had a different size case. Or the wider link was added as I said before, perhaps to make this bracelet fit the Mark II, and the seller swapped it to your watch without noticing. Either way, I still think you could get a link taken off the watch head end and all will be well. The top one does look a little stretched and out of place with the rest of it.

It is also in need of a full service which would correct your chrono issue and the accuracy. If the seller claimed to have done that, then I am afraid that was a lie. Whatever you paid should have reflected its lack of originality and it's need for a service. I don't know if you are Danish as you bought from that dealer, but in the UK an all original cal 861 on it's original bracelet from 1969 go for £1600-1800 or £2000+ from a dealer in good condition. This one will always be at the lower end of the scale and requires a service, so you will have to see if it is worth it. As you may be better off sending it back and buying a better example to start with. That is what you need to be "concerned" with. But you might have paid only £1000 for it knowing its issues, so even with the service, you are in the correct region of what it is worth.

Stu-Silver, thnkclrly and wsfarrell like this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 8, 2015

Seriously how did you end up with such a massive chip on your shoulder? @Spacefruit raised a valid point that the OP should know about and he wasn't having a go at the guy, either chill out or go back to Watchuseek

lando, gemini4, Hijak and 5 others like this.
  8. SAN79Y Jun 8, 2015

@dsio I don't have a chip on my shoulder, I think it is the other way around and I am annoyed at the attitude of some individuals on here. That comment is not what the OP was asking or on topic, and he didn't even care to explain what he meant which some people clearly don't understand. I think you should stick to helping people out with what they are asking as I have tried to do on a couple of occasions, rather than just trying to show off how knowledgeable you are. Its the one thing I hate about forums and it isn't restricted to watch ones. If he actually explained what he meant by the new dial and hands, then fair enough I wouldn't have said anything. But I don't think comments like that are very helpful. Neither is jumping in to defend a useless pointless comment, how about you go back to a thread where you might have something useful to say. I am sure he can/will do that himself, even though it sounds like he and you do not have this bracelet so are pointlessly getting involved in a discussion that included 3 owners of such bracelets initially. These are not cheap items, and it isn't very nice to put fear/doubt into a new buyer's head for no good reason just because you know more than they do. He may be happy with the new dial and hands, as no one like dirty lume apparently. If he was unaware of the change, then you have just thrown a grenade in and walked away. Some dealers have a 14 day return policy, so how about making useful comments if you think they are valid so the OP can get his money back.

wsfarrell likes this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 8, 2015

Once again, if you're annoyed, please go elsewhere as all you've seemed do do since coming here is get your back up and start "taking offence" in each thread. Its a relevant point that the dial and hands were replaced when it effects the value of the watch significantly, nobody was trying to "show off", but rather to inform, troll somewhere else...

10. SAN79Y Jun 8, 2015

@dsio How can you accuse me of trolling when I am the one that explained the issue of new dial and hands to the OP in a perfectly polite manner. Why are you following me around, especially if you don't like what I have to say and this is a thread you have nothing worth contributing. Its a bit weird. That is not all I have done. It would have been a relevant point if he actually explained that they affect the value of a watch, even though you have no idea what he paid for it. With the lack of tone in forums it comes off as showing off, ie the grenade throwing. I am taking offence at your pathetic defense of a bad comment, nothing else. You don't even own this bracelet, yet have ruined this guy's thread. I was actually trying to help a fellow owner and get some info for myself on this bracelet. You don't own one so comment elsewhere yourself. I am not going to respond to you again so why not leave it here, or come back once you buy this bracelet and I would be happy to discuss it with you. In the meantime, this is not your forum so stop telling me where to go. Jeez, who do you think you are. I haven't used question marks because they are all rhetorical and I don't want a response because I am done with you. Hopefully there is a way of blocking users like on other forums.

11. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jun 8, 2015

Actually, it is dsio's forum, well sort of. I think the number of people banned from the forum can be counted on the fingers of one hand.
    You're digging yourself deeper into a hole that has only one ending. Two hands.

12. SAN79Y Jun 8, 2015

Yeah I have just discovered that and am amazed that an owner of a forum is happy to talk to people like that. I don't need to be banned. He can keep his ball and playground, and bully someone else.

13. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jun 8, 2015

GBAGR

14. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 8, 2015

Hey San97y,

It may be wise to get to know this forum and it's members before you pass judgement. The knowledge here is deep and shared freely by some very experienced collectors.

Keep it positive, or as dsio says, go somewhere else.
    Cheers,

15. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jun 8, 2015

It would be a boring forum indeed, if people were only allowed to respond to the question asked by the OP

I can in all honesty say that as a relative novice in this "business", I appreciate all feedback. I know mywatch.dk perfectly well and also saw the ad for that watch. Nowhere did it say anything about parts being replaced, it is just advertised as a 1969 pre moon in good condition (on the other hand it did not say original either)

16. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jun 8, 2015

OP actually never said he was happy to buy it like that. If OP bought it thinking it was an all original watch, it might be a concern, so all I'm saying is: fair point being raised.

thnkclrly likes this.
  17. tdn-dk Jun 8, 2015

18. thnkclrly Jun 8, 2015

Hey all...

I really appreciate all the input here... You have all been so generous in sharing your amazing wealth of knowledge in this domain and I really love it!!!

I am enjoying the piece a lot and don't intend to sell it. I have dreamed of having, wearing and using a Speedmaster as my daily watch for more than ten years. This is my first real watch and it is a dream come true.

I paid DKK 17.000 for the watch on Mywatch.dk — convert to whatever currency you prefer... but I guess based on the feedback above it is a bit high.
    http://mywatch.dk/solgte-ure/1701-omega-speedmaster-pre-moon-1969.html
    They might have updated the copy. As I remember it was serviced in 2014, but now it says 2013...
    The seller was recommended by a dear friend. I am from Denmark but live in NYC. I had no dear friends in the US who could recommend a trusted seller here and I wasn't aware of this forum until now.

I have raised the concern about the chronograph reset with the seller and they have offered me a full service with them next time I'm in Denmark. I have that in writing and I trust they will make good on that, even though I'm not sure when I will be...

I don't mind that the dial and hands have been changed. I'm not a collector, I just really like the design and I use the chronograph a lot in my work as a workshop facilitator. I like that it is a non-fancy watch. I love that it is plexiglass. I love that it feels like a solid piece of equipment. And I am already emotionally attached to it because I bought it to celebrate the birth of our second child :)

However, I am left with a nagging feeling that the seller could have been a lot more open about these different issues with me up front and it gives me a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. It would have been much easier for me to accept in the bracelet is from a Mark II and the dial and hands have been changed, if I had just known this up front rather than learning all this after I bought it.

I will ponder it a bit, and figure out how I want to proceed....

19. Davidt Jun 8, 2015

So 17000DKK is around £1700?

With the incorrect bracelet, replaced (and seemingly non disclosed) dial and chronograph issue, I think you have good reason to return if you wanted to. However, as you've already bonded with the watch and are happy to keep it, I'd be using these as an argument for getting some money back now. Never mind a service next time you're in the country.

Not disclosing these replaced parts is intentionally misleading. It's acceptable from a one off private seller who may not know, but not from a professional dealer.

20. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 8, 2015

The Dial and Handset are Superluminova replacements.