Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Pro 1499 clasp failure

1. jaymyms Apr 11, 2016

Hey all, so I have a Speedmaster from the late 90's with a 1499 bracelet. I love the bracelet, taper, and the fact that it never seems to show scratches.

However - a handful of times now, the clasp has popped open on me. It snaps shut tight, and it hasn't pulled open on me, it's popped open. It happens when I clap at a sporting event, or once when I hit the steering wheel in a fit of road rage. (some folks just shouldn't be allowed to operate motor vehicles)

I don't wear the bracelet tight, and like I said, when I put it on in the morning, it's a nice tight snap. Is this problem common, or does my bracelet potentially need some work? Thanks in advance.
    Jay

2. Canuck Apr 11, 2016

Key words! You don't wear the bracelet tight! THAT'S your problem! The bracelet is spending too much time, too low on your wrist, where the wrist bends! When you bend your wrist against the tension of the bracelet, this imposes tremendous strain on the bracelet, and the buckle. All that, plus with he bracelet flopping around all the time, it's life expectancy is about half what it would be when worn tight enough to stay above the wrist! Your choice how you wear it, but suffer the consequences!

3. Flingit1200s Apr 11, 2016

Seems there are instructions for adjusting certain Omega clasps that aren't tight enough. Maybe someone with a better memory can supply a link. I adjusted mine myself by just observing how the clasp operated and giving it a slight bend in the correct spot. Will keep looking for proper instructions. BTW I wore mine loose and it would still pop open.

4. jaymyms Apr 11, 2016

I can't see that being the reason. When I go to clap at a Jets game, I'm standing up, and my hands are up, so if anything, the watch would slide towards my elbow, not where my wrist bends.

And if that is truly the reason, it's pretty sad. It doesn't flop around on my wrist, it's just not mega-tight. That shouldnt be a reason for a clasp to pop open.

5. Canuck Apr 11, 2016

Okay! Maybe 40 years in the retail jewellery business, dealing with customers with problems like yours, doesn't make me the best judge of a solution for you! Suit yourself!

6. Flingit1200s Apr 11, 2016

7. Flingit1200s Apr 11, 2016

It worked perfectly for me.

8. jaymyms Apr 11, 2016

I'm not calling you an idiot, I'm saying - if that is truly the problem, that's ridiculous, and I'd expect far better design from Omega. This is a Speedmaster Professional. It's ruggedness doesn't matter at all if it won't stay on your wrist.

9. jaymyms Apr 11, 2016

10. Flingit1200s Apr 11, 2016

No worries! I guess the instructions I was thinking of were from Rolex in that thread. :eek:

jaymyms likes this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 12, 2016

Flingit1200s likes this.
  12. Flingit1200s Apr 12, 2016

Next thing you know, I'll be a watchmaker! On second thought, I probably have a long road from welding to watch making as a hobby! :unsure:

13. jaymyms Apr 12, 2016

You can be the judge on whether I've fixed it when you service this watch later this year!

14. Canuck Apr 12, 2016

Now that you know a possible cure for the symptom of the buckle popping open, that is good. All I was trying to do was to give you an idea of a common cause for the problem, so when it happens again (and I suspect it will), once you adjust it again, maybe try wearing the watch so it stays above your wrist joint. Believe me when I say that trick has worked for a lot of people!

Speaking of rugged, a HUMMER is rugged too! Rugged, but not indestructible, just like your Omega. When you total a Hummer, you don't blame General Motors!

apsm100 likes this.