Forums Latest Members
  1. rabbitsblood Mar 5, 2014

I recently inherited my late father's old Speedmaster Pro as a present for graduating college. My dad was the original owner, but my mom has literally had it in her jewelry box since before I was born (nearly 30 years ago). I haven't had the chance to open it up yet but I'm guessing it's a 145.022-69 judging by the non-applied logo dial & the pre-moon caseback. It has an original 1039 bracelet with all 26 links (dated 4/70), but the first one down is slightly dented... is this something that can be fixed with a full service? The markers still have a good amount of lume as they've been sitting in a box, but the caseback has a couple deep scratches that my mom attributes to the watch shuffling around in her jewelry box. Is this something that can be taken care of with a full service as well?

Also, the chronograph pushers aren't functioning properly, the start/stop pusher starts the chrono, but the chrono second-hand resets to the original position on a second press & the reset button does nothing. When I first received the watch a week ago, the small chrono hour hand seemed to be set at 3 but is now right before the 5 position, though I haven't ran the chrono for that long because it wasn't working properly.

This is my first vintage Omega so I'm not familiar with their full service... if I bring it in, do I need to worry about them polishing/replacing parts or can I be confident that when I receive it back, that it'll still retain its old charm?

photo 4.JPG photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

CdnWatchDoc and TLIGuy like this.
  2. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 5, 2014

If it were mine it would get an oil and clean. Don't polish, it is beautiful and has every right to a history. I suspect every comment from the folk on here will be very similar.

Enjoy what is a beautiful original heirloom.

Cheers

3. ulackfocus Mar 5, 2014

Send it for service but don't refurbish anything on the case. It's scars are it's family history. Just have a watchmaker who's sympathetic to vintage watches do the work. Then go put a few of your own scars on it to add to it's story.

4. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Mar 5, 2014

Omega service is pricey and risky as far as keeping it original. Omega wants to guarantee their work, so they replace whatever is needed to meet that end. A reliable, skilled independent watchmaker will be a better choice for preserving originality, and price.

5. richardew Mar 5, 2014

Don't send it to Omega! Where are you located? The watch has c861 and parts should be readily available since it is basically still in production (as c1861) with some minor changes. It's a beautiful watch with a nice creamy patina. You just want to service the movement and make sure the watch is again water "resistant". That usually also involves changing the crystal, pushers, gaskets and crown. It should run around $500. Depending on where you are located, someone on the forum could probably steer you to a reliable watchmaker.

6. Dablitzer Mar 5, 2014

That caseback logo is pretty crisp! :thumbsup:

7. rabbitsblood Mar 5, 2014

That would be super helpful thanks! I'm in Southern California! Northern Orange County area.

8. ulackfocus Mar 5, 2014

If you want to stay relatively local, there's Dalton Toledo at ABC Watch Works in Los Angeles. Seen some of his work and it's very good albeit a little expensive - but not as costly as Omega. If you don't mind shipping to NJ, Steve (member N2FHL) has plenty of referrals from members here.

9. ashleysteadman Mar 5, 2014

Archer is in Canada, but his work is amazing....! Especially with Speedmasters.

10. ashleysteadman Mar 5, 2014

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 5, 2014

Nice family hand-me-down :thumbsup:

IMO the scratches on the caseback are the result of somebody trying to open the watch. They're not too deep so any competent watchmaker should be able to chuck the caseback on a lathe and polish them out without affecting the value/originality of the watch.

I've just got a thing about caseback gouges caused by the wrong tools in the hands of the inept :mad:

ashleysteadman likes this.