Forums Latest Members
  1. Airbus Dec 20, 2015

Hi,

As most of you I love the Speedmaster. But why is the price level so low compared to other watches in the Omega lineup? This is of course a good thing - but I'm curious. If you were to buy a standard Aqua Terra you would need to spend more. Are the coax models that more expensive to make? Is the Speedmaster movement while good much more simple to manufacture?

There has been som price increases, but then you also get a big box with stuff in it... And it's still one of Omega's lowest priced watches...

2. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Dec 21, 2015

I understand your thinking. I too consider that the Speedmaster is excellent value for money, especially when compared for example with Rolex watches which to me have little character and are nothing like as aesthetically attractive as my 3570.50. I think that Omega can be very cost-effective in manufacturing terms by dint of the very long production runs of the later references and the volume of demand, so we should just accept the price position as a rare piece of 'good news', not let it raise concern about underlying quality/desirability. It's funny but human thinking can be odd - I like Oris watches, but I am put off by them seeming to me 'cheap': probably if they were twice the price I'd have bought a Big Crown model with pointer long ago!

D YOUNG likes this.
  3. Airbus Dec 21, 2015

Thank's, a really good answer and I'm thinking a lot like you. You say demand - how is that compared to the Planet Ocean for example? I would imagine that the average "non wiz" watch person will go for an automatic with saphire etc., but that the watch geek will buy himself a Speedmaster... Right? So in conclusion Planet Oceans would have a higher demand (I thought)...

4. PatrickJ Dec 21, 2015

This played on my mind recently as well. The cams based 861 was introduced in 1968 so it is still in that golden age of watch making and the 1861 is practically the same movement. You would think that the watch that is cornerstone in Omega's history and has been a major contributor to the brands success would not be positioned at the mid point price wise. In the UK the base model De ville is £2,300, SMP £2770, Moonwatch £3,340, AT £3,490, AT£3,800 and PO £3,900. It may not be technically as advanced as a 8500 but it is a traditional movement, the lemania ebaunche has appeared in Patek and Breguet watches. If it was still a columb wheel 321 it may of sold for £5,000 plus. But 861 or 321 based it is still for a strange reason underpriced.

5. abrod520 Dec 21, 2015

My guess is it all comes down to economies of scale - Omega probably still makes a handy profit on the Speedmaster at the current price point because it allows them to sell very many of them. The reason for this is because the 1861 has been in production for such a long time that very little further investment is needed to produce them - no more machines, probably very easy to train a watchmaker to produce one etc.

If you ask me though, this is exactly what Omega should do - the Speedmaster is a bona-fide great watch, and the more people that buy one the better for Omega.

6. PatrickJ Dec 21, 2015

Bona-fide great watch for sure. The Rolex forum, the watch snob, blog to watch, hodinkee etc all like it and no one says anything bad about it. Hopefully they will keep producing it for a few more years, no reason for them to stop producing it. I wonder in terms of sales per year (not total) how it ranks with the rest of the Omega line up?

7. abrod520 Dec 21, 2015

I highly doubt Omega will stop producing the Speedmaster anytime soon - probably not in our lifetimes. It'd be a truly foolish thing to do! I'd bet it's probably towards the top in terms of volume, close to (or more than) the lesser-priced Seamasters.

PatrickJ likes this.
  8. Dombo63 Dec 21, 2015

Strange though how they do not seem to be that common in the wild. I see plenty of Seamasters, lots of Rolexes, but hardly any Speedmasters.

PatrickJ and M'Bob like this.
  9. WatchVaultNYC Dec 21, 2015

I don't think its a production issue at all. When you think about it, the tooling costs for the Speedy Pro has probably been amortized to almost nothing over the years. The actual cost to build will probably be close to just the material cost and labor. I think current pricing is based on the "perceived value" as the Speedy Pro's design has been generally unchanged inside and out for 45 years. It's really not as luxuriously built as many newer Omegas like Planet Oceans.

I think Omega knows this too which is why they pimped up the same Speedy Pro with a nice new display cased and jacked up the price 25%. Because they obviously can't change the design and still call it a Moonwatch.

10. PatrickJ Dec 23, 2015

I think a manual wind movement that originated in the 1940s has more luxury and clout than a modern one. The finishing on the speedy case with matt and shinny areas is very delicate and special with the crystal providing the dome effect. The watch its self looked like it came from the moon lol. The PO or AT would of cost £100 - £600 more, when considering the price of the speedy it is not that much extra at all. The history and the fact the modern movement and case dna is almost the same as the original (minus coulomb wheel, step dial , case back, applied logo) speaks volumes. At first I purchased a seamaster although a beautiful looking watch it was exchanged for a moonwatch. History wins every time for me.

11. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Dec 23, 2015

The Speedmaster is the same exact watch theyve been milking since the end of the 60's. Same with the older 16610 Rolexes that have been cash cows so their costs are cheaper compared to the other line ups but also provide some of the best last value.

12. Brandon_Dexter Dec 23, 2015

I absolutely love my speedy. New version of a classic, with a sapphire crystal. The manual wind 1861 is a classic movement.

I think it comes down to the scale and longevity.

Cheers!
    [​IMG]

Sgt_Bilko likes this.
  13. Dombo63 Dec 24, 2015

I love mine too. Especially the fact that the first model came out in 1957, when my parents met, and the current design dates to 1963, when I was born.
    If only my Dad had had the foresight to buy his baby son a 105.003

Edited Dec 24, 2015
  14. PatrickJ Dec 24, 2015

Longevity 100%. I have one vintage Omega. The only watches I could justify brand new as I want to keep for life are a Rolex Sub (next one) and the recently purchased brand new speedy. History to be acquired, maintained and kept. Every other watch will be purchased used.

15. Brandon_Dexter Dec 24, 2015

Agree. And even a Sub can be had BNIB at a discount, albeit small, from some really reputable sellers. There are several over on the Rolex forum. But if you are looking for the AD experience with the champagne and vip treatment then by all means, but new. I have bought all my Rolex/Tudor/Omega/Nomos new because of a great relationship with my AD and the fairness of pricing. I did exceptionally well on the speedy in the picture, as it was an impulse purchase due to a huge discount.

PatrickJ likes this.
  16. PatrickJ Dec 24, 2015

The sub will be brand new from AD. I never want to have it in the back of my mind there could be any issues with the watch. Lets face it they can occur even if they are non intentional from the reputable buyer or seller.

17. Brandon_Dexter Dec 24, 2015

No doubt. I think the only ones that I will likely buy from non ad seller is either PM or vintage.

My AD buddy and I have already looked at the "LNIB" pieces from the big sellers on TRF and it will be tough for him to get anywhere close.

I never expect to pay him less or even the same as I have zero risk with my AD and there is always some risk with any other seller. But the pm pieces take such a beating as soon as they are sold new that it is hard to justify buying new.

And I have bought vintage that was a trade from my AD. So bottom line is never say never I guess.

18. PatrickJ Dec 24, 2015

I only want a new sub and I have the speedy, that is enough for me. 100% no doubts in my mind at all buying new from AD. I have one vintage, as for other vintages I stick with simple ones that cost no more than £750. There is always a risk no mater how much homework you do. However, by doing homework your risks are drastically reduced.

19. danbrew Dec 24, 2015

I'm a relatively new Omega-fan, so take this with a grain of salt... Some great comments above about the pricing of the Speedmaster, and agree that it is probably an entry-level watch for Omega. I doubt that the same tooling that was used to produce the Speedmaster in the 60s is still being used today. And I'm sure that they are not producing the watch for a song today. Profit? Sure. And I'd agree that the profit on the higher end watches is probably greater than the profit on the Speedmaster. Why don't they change anything about the original moon watch? It was certified by NASA as a "moon watch" and is certified for space flight. They'd lose that certification if they substantially changed the watch. That bit of marketing must have tremendous value to the company. I have to admit that one of the reasons I bought the Speedy was that bit of text on the back - and mine is colored in red. I'm so vain. :)

20. Airbus Dec 24, 2015

Is the Speedmaster an entry level Omega? Regarding price maybe... But I guess a first time Omega buyer who is not a wiz would buy a Bond SMP, an PO or similar? How common is i really? I see tons of Subs, blue bonds, PO's but I rarely see Speedmasters...

danbrew likes this.