Forums Latest Members
  1. novina Jun 18, 2016

Need some help with this. If I decide to join the fray and started to duke it out with other bidders, where should I draw the line? This is just from a quick look and have not gone over it in extreme detail. But the dial is a service dial, serviced second hand and service bezel. The movement is not clean and would require a full rebuild. Going by speedmaster101, I would rate it in the poor category. That said, $1850 for the watch, but how much to bring it back to original? Would it even be worth it in the long run. It will never achieve collector status, so perhaps a $3500 watch at best? Any information to make a better than rash decision would be greatly appreciated. Here's the link to the auction:

Here are the pictures of the movement he sent at my request:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

serial # 27,324,xxx

Thank for any input.

Rob

Edited Jun 18, 2016
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 18, 2016

:whistling:

Baz9614 likes this.
  3. novina Jun 18, 2016

yup I did, but is the condition does it warrant more money? Is it in poor condition, is it worth more for the parts? I have not bid and may not. This is way out of my current comfort zone. But if someone here can justify a much higher price, I would like to know why. For the case? Doesn't look too bad. The bracelet? I am not up on Omega bracelets at this time. Are the parts worth more than the sum? Ok, I thought I would only go up to 1K on it anyways. Which it has past a;ready and yes 2 days to go. Why would I want to go higher in price. Someone break it down for me please. I see a full caliber rebuild. Sourcing a correct bezel and dial. That there could run a couple thousand, or am I off on my repair estimate? Just trying to learn.

P.S. STANDBY, would you jump on this?

4. abrod520 Jun 18, 2016

27.3M is a little early for a -69, I would be looking for a -68 caseback for that. Given the condition and the fact that it's already a franken with the modern SL dial and dot-under-70 bezel, its value is in the movement and the caseback separately. Combined value maybe $1.5-2k I would say, since the movement's not running.

Question here is - what's a 145.022-68 "Transitional" going for these days? And how much would the correct AML dial (if you can find one!) and DON bezel cost?

novina likes this.
  5. novina Jun 18, 2016

That's the question, isn't it. The price of the complete service can be estimated. But the price of parts that are getting harder and harder to find is another matter. I am not looking for a parts watch. At this moment in time, I can not outlay that kind of money for a frivolous item. And trust me, that is what my wife would call it. I do not have the time to sit on these parts in hopes of making money which I can turn into something concrete, like a working Speedmaster. So if the Speedmaster hoarders want this one, I am fine with that. Have at it. I rather wait until I can comfortably afford one that is relatively correct and working.

That said, is there anymore input on this one?

6. sky21 Jun 18, 2016

Modern service dial and bezel. Incorrect super luminova sweep second hand. Seller clearly states the watch does not run and then doesn't even shown a photo of the movement, not a good combination on eBay. Anything over the current bid price is probably too much.

novina likes this.
  7. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 18, 2016

Are you deadset on 69? The only reason I ask is that you can get a great 861 Speedy from the 1970s or early 80s for well under $3k, and it will be correct

That watch you showed appears to be a dog on many levels. Even if you got it for $1800, by the time you sourced the correct parts and had it serviced, you would be in too deep.

Plenty of nice Speedies still put there.

Foo2rama, OMGRLX and novina like this.
  8. novina Jun 18, 2016

Birth year interest only. But money is an issue also. explaining a 3K watch purchase to the wife is not an easy thing anymore. Not since the little one came along. If I could raid his bank account, Than I would be fine. But the wife keeps telling me it's his money for college or some such. He's 2 years old and has more money in his bank account than I had at 30.

Jhh834 likes this.
  9. wsfarrell Jun 18, 2016

Stanford tuition in 1989 (if '69 is your birth year) was around $12k. Today it's $47k. In 18 years----who knows? Your kid will need every cent of that bankroll.

I agree with watchknut: there are some very nice '80's Speedmasters on eBay. I like sellers in Japan, as they seem to be a little more strict in their grading of condition. Tritium rules!

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 19, 2016

Luminova dial new second hand( not matching) and wrong bezel. Not running... Nope.

Your not taking a chance you know what's here and what it will cost to make it right. It's more then what you would pay for a correct birth year watch.

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 19, 2016

@novina just by your posts on this thread you know it's worth buying a correct watch first up than jumping in the buy for parts pool.

My birth year is a nice clean 861 with a great case and dial ;)
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 19, 2016

This is a big No Buy to me.

Bringing any -69 speedmaster back into a good condition from this level of neglect is a challenge, both on the patience, the wallet and the hunting skills.

This one has rust in the movement. While it is possible to get a rusted movement running, remember rust is a chemical reaction eating into the metal. The parts will never look clean enough to pass an Omega standard service QC and would be replaced if sent to them. The problem is that a rusted movement might have most parts damaged, even if slight. I am sure it can be made to run, but it will not be pristine again.

The number does not fall in range for this case back. This may not be a speedmaster movement, or original to the watch.

The dial and bezel are incorrect for the case back - later service replacements, NOT vintage as described.

The value in a -69 is all about the dial, and nowadays the bezel. This has neither, and a movement that is rusted, doesn't run, and of dubious origin.

A -69 dial is around $200 but finding it will be hard now. A -68 transitional dial to suit the movement will be nigh on impossible. This dials are as hard to find as a dial for a 2998. And the thing is, you don't need any old dial, what's the point? You need an attractive one.

As prices rise, we see more an more of these awful bags of bones coming onto the market. The price tempts in naive buyers who then become disolutioned and end up with a similar pile of junk, just one they have spent $k's on with little improvement to the overall desirability.

As others said. Spend more money on a better watch.

Well done for asking here first, rather than after the purchase!

Craig447, demollo, sky21 and 2 others like this.
  13. novina Jun 20, 2016

Thanks Spacefruit for the good break down. I had a feeling something was not right with the story behind this watch as posted by the seller. Confirmed when I received the pics of the movement. Pictures i might add that were absent from his listing. I have yet to completely fall under the Speedmaster spell and am waiting for the right piece and time to come together. I have no doubt that I will have one, but maybe not a -69 but something closer to a -74. Who knows, been looking at the more modern versions also. I personally like automatic movements which would make the reduced a natural for me, but quality seems a toss up on those. We will see. I am learning what I can and will be careful of what I buy. I have already made my nubie mistake and I do not wish to throw good money for bad.

Again thank you all for the input provided here, if not just for me, but others.

Rob

14. Craig447 Oct 25, 2016

I total agree, I found a 68 dial and decided to make a watch around the dial.

20161024_102952.jpg 20161023_063050.jpg
  15. TomGW Oct 26, 2016

Congratulations on how that turned out. The dial looks amazing.