Forums Latest Members
  1. J57 Apr 1, 2014

Gentlemen and surely just as many Ladies....

Since viewing the landing on the moon on a black and white TV, on that summer's day in July 1969 ( yes folks, I am from the Northern Hemisphere and would you believe I was so annoyed at my father who wanted to watch the landing instead of me being able to watch something "less boring" ?!!) I have been, initially curios about the watch the Astronaut had strapped on his arm with a black "ribbon" and then obsessed by the what I subsequently learned to have been an Omega Speedmaster.
    I was very close to buy two... a "Reduced" for my wife and a Professional for myself back in 2002... and I should have. But the holiday in Europe was much more fun, at the time.

Now, 12 (actually 45) years later I finally have done it. Bought a Speedmaster Reduced in mint condition some 6 weeks ago ( which my wife has already claimed) and today a brand new 3570.50.00... and thought I would join this esteemed forum.

Any words of advice, wisdom, useful information or plain chatter ?

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 1, 2014

3. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Apr 1, 2014

Pictures, or we won't believe you.....

4. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Apr 1, 2014

Congrats! Now you can also tune-in on the Speedy Tuesday articles on FW :)

5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 1, 2014

First of all we also wished we have as many Ladies, but that's not yet happening.......
    Second, Congratulations for selecting such fine time pieces and joining the big club of Astronaut/space/moon trip admirer through our watch. You will have many friends in here who will be more than happy to discuss any aspect of your moonwatch.
    In the meantime why not stroll among our forum members moon watch collection here:
    http://omegaforums.net/threads/show-us-your-speedmaster-moon.7229/

6. J57 Apr 1, 2014

Ye of Little Faith !.... :- )

Professional 001.jpg Reduced 001.jpg Omegas 001.jpg
    Xandtheman, Varasc and Jimmy Jim like this.
  7. J57 Apr 1, 2014

Pity the new Omegas no longer have their manuals as a "Hardcover" ... Cost cutting even on luxury items?

8. J57 Apr 1, 2014

... Thank you for the comments and for welcoming me into the Forum. I look forward to growing my knowledge on the subject matter and on the way to making some ( am sure) good friends.

9. Jimmy Jim Apr 1, 2014

10. J57 Apr 1, 2014

PS.... Shaun HK; In regards to photos... :)

Moon Landing on TV.png
  11. ulackfocus Apr 1, 2014

Yes - post some damn pictures every time you buy a new watch! :p

Jimmy Jim likes this.
  12. CdnWatchDoc Apr 1, 2014

Nice pair of Speedys! Agree, the hardcover manual is so much classier...:thumbsup:

13. Varasc Apr 2, 2014

Nice pair, indeed!

14. J57 Apr 2, 2014

1. "Ulackfocus" .... "Yes - post some damn pictures every time you buy a new watch! :p"
      A rather unwelcoming and premature piece of advice, don't you think ?...

15. Georgieboy58 Apr 2, 2014

Some posters wording you have to take "cum grano salis". I know that this was not meant as offensive as it sounds.
    It's more a variation of the forum's running gag "pictures or it didn't happen".

A warm welcome from another (relative) newbie
    Georg

16. J57 Apr 3, 2014

"Some posters wording you have to take "cum grano salis". I know that this was not meant as offensive as it sounds.
    It's more a variation of the forum's running gag "pictures or it didn't happen"

Life should be indeed "taken with a grain of salt" however, when possible one should make others aware of how their "joviality" can be perceived... especially by "nebies" not yet aware of the idiosyncrasies of a particular environment.

And having said that... Thank you for your warm welcome and the veiled apology on behalf of the person in question.

PS... How does one insert other's comments in a "box" like the one above?.... I am totally new at this "Posting thing" .... :)

17. Georgieboy58 Apr 3, 2014

Simply use the arrow symbol in the lower right corner of the original posting:

quote.png

18. J57 Apr 3, 2014

Miracles of Science will never end !......

Thank you. :thumbsup:

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 3, 2014

Life should be indeed "taken with a grain of salt" however, when possible one should make others aware of how their "joviality" can be perceived.

Yes - post some damn pictures every time you buy a new watch! :p

What the little pink guy smiling with hes tongue out didnt make you aware.;)