Forums Latest Members
  1. SpeedyD Jul 3, 2019

I’m a huge speedmaster fan. And whilst the title is tongue in cheek, I was wondering what others saw, or would like to see the next wave of innovation / gimmickry / novelty to the Speedmaster line?

We obviously have the traditional
    limited editions and various anniversary
    moonwatch for the purists.
    Racing for a more modern twist.
    Side if the moon gimmickry for something a little more unusual.
    Moonphase variations.
    mark ii for the retro look.
    I know there are a lot of other types but the list would go on and on...

What would you like to see next?

As a starter for 10 I’d like to see a refresh the ‘side of the moon’ lone with some additional colour options or maybe a metas update and facelift to the existing line.

Orange or Red ceramic anyone?

2. BatDad Jul 3, 2019

You should take a look at the Hackett speedy if you haven’t already.

Truly awful!!

On a serious note - a modern racing dial 20mm, 861(1861), on flat link would be interesting to me..

Edit - and some more straight lug options...

3. astrand Jul 3, 2019

I wonder if they will eventually re-release the hesalite/sapphire sandwich - especially with the next generation manual wind movement that we see in the 50th anniversary models.

OMEGAX-33 and Nathan1967 like this.
  4. MTROIS Jul 3, 2019

ALL ceramic Speedmaster Pro (case, bezel, pushers, etc. AND bracelet)... with true perpetual calendar / chronograph movement (no thick module on base movement kind of approach).

As I know that some here dislike ceramic because of its brittleness.... make it all tantalum as an alternative.

Voilà! :whistling:

Edited Jul 3, 2019
    SpeedyD and astrand like this.
  5. KeithS Jul 3, 2019

I hope not. That would make my 3572.50 a little less special...

I would really like to see a FOIS with a hesalite crystal, the same hands on all subdials, and a flat link bracelet.

6. SpeedyD Jul 3, 2019

You’re not kidding! I was not aware of that one so had to google it.

BatDad likes this.
  7. SpeedyD Jul 3, 2019

Not sure how practical a ceramic bracket would be, but if it works, then it would be great ti have matching or complimentary bracelet options to go with the ceramic case models. That is the biggest downside of those models in my mind is that they are stranded on leather and therefore not suitable to hot weather.

8. mmrols Jul 3, 2019

I agree. This was the best one in my view

astrand likes this.
  9. WYO_Watch Jul 3, 2019

I can’t afford a new LE, but I would love to see some bracelet reissues. A few friction clasped flat link bracelets you can buy without getting a new watch would be a great release IMO.

LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  10. kelsey Jul 4, 2019

I'd love to see the new 321 housed in a FOIS, platinum or yellow gold case (moonshine would be fine), black dial, and sapphire crystal glass. I'd buy :)

11. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jul 4, 2019

return of the 321 ::popcorn::

marco likes this.
  12. Martin_J_N Jul 4, 2019

Although new to Speedmaster Moonwatches (my watch is mere 40 days old), I am loving finding out about the history of the watch, how the watch has developed over the years with the movement changes and different incarnations of the core watch.

If I have this right the 321 movement was in the first Omega watch in space and it has been announced by Omega that they are going to bring out a watch with a new 321 movement, so a LE with the 321 / Hesalite / DON / Broad Arrow for the FOIS would be logical.

Also 2020 is the 50th anniversary of a Speedmaster bringing A13 safely back to earth so a new Snoopy LE with the 321 movement could be a possibility.

Finally there will be the opportunity in 2022 to have a LE for the LOOTM

Just my naive thoughts on where the Moonwatch could go next.

GandOsDad, SpeedyD and SpeedyPhill like this.
  13. Stufflers Mom Jul 4, 2019

For those with an ocd for scratches, what about a tungsten wolfram version that's only available on a strap.

Saturn V likes this.
  14. dabbispade Jul 4, 2019

Would like to see a automatic version for a lazy ass as my self that forgets to wind it and all of a sudden I don’t know what time it is.

And yes I know there is the reduced model automatic but just not the same.

15. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jul 4, 2019

1970-2020 is also the 50th anniversary of the first Rolex going to the Moon :whistling: https://moonwatchuniverse.tumblr.com/archive

Martin_J_N likes this.
  16. MTROIS Jul 4, 2019

...but then, with a minimum 72 hour power reserve to make sure you can put it down for the weekend and have it still running when you start the new week.

dabbispade likes this.
  17. dabbispade Jul 4, 2019

Very much true but I got so many watches I simply forget the speedy sometimes, but its a Mark II not the original so I might sell the Mark and get the real thing. Don´t think I will be forgetting that one :)

18. bama2141 Jul 4, 2019

I’d like to see an update to the SOTM models to shave off a couple of millimeters on the thickness and diameter and to update the movement to the latest METAS version.

3nicewatches and SpeedyD like this.
  19. Len Jul 5, 2019

20. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Jul 5, 2019

The problem with all of that is, it's going to cost us and these models already cost plenty. Your suggestions do make sense though, and Omega have said they want all their watches to go to METAS certification versions - although I couldn't care less about METAS myself - doesn't make them any more accurate. Even my 11 year old triple date is running consistently at only -1 sec/day, and my DSOTM at +1.

I've had my DSOTM for almost a year now and neither the diameter nor the thickness bother me - but I can understand why it would bother others, especially those on the smaller end of the wrist scale (but I'm no giant: 7.25 inch).