Forums Latest Members
  1. TomGW Aug 20, 2016

This is a 'vintage' Omega issue only insofar as it started with my purchase, a few years ago, of a 145.012 that had been recased into a new, service case by Omega but the deal included all the original parts. Naturally I had it returned to original, which left me with the service case, hands etc, which started this project. With these in my parts box, together with a Snoopy dial that I'd picked up very cheaply on eBay I was on the lookout for a suitable movement and bought a loose 1861 from a seller on WUS. I have recently had it assembled and it looks great, but the movement is running approx 20% too fast - 72 mins in an hour / Chrono records an extra12 secs per min.
    The guy who assembled it for me has checked the amplitude at 280 and is mystified. He doesn't have an Omega parts account and isn't keen to pull it apart. Obviously I have no knowledge of the history of the movement. It isn't old (serial 77xxxxxxx) and was described as 'unused'.
    Can anyone give me any idea what is wrong?

2. fzhu052 Aug 20, 2016

Magnetized?

3. TomGW Aug 20, 2016

Would that not have resulted in a low amplitude? This one is normal and gives a reading that would suggest well within 10s/day.

4. alam Aug 20, 2016

Speedmaster movements don't have problems, they may require fine tuning now and then... :)

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 21, 2016

You bought a movement and had it assembled into a watch - was it serviced? If not, there's your answer...

Spacefruit likes this.
  6. TomGW Aug 21, 2016

Thanks, I know that was a bit rash, but this is a fresh movement and on inspection the lubrication appeared to fine. I've had plenty of unserviced Speedmasters over the years and they will often tend to run up to a few mins fast per day, but this is running 12 mins fast per hour, while showing an amplitude of around 280 and less than 10 secs per day on the watchmakers timer. Is it possible that some part of the drive train has been incorrectly assembled?

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 21, 2016

Since Omega does not sell complete Cal. 1861 replacement movements, I'm not sure what you mean by "fresh." This would have been removed from another watch...

When you say it isn't old, keep in mind that a 77 serial number could be as old as 1999-2000 era.

My advice is to find a competent watchmaker with an Omega parts account, who can perform a proper service on the watch.

Cheers, Al

8. keepitsimple Aug 21, 2016

You definitely need a watchmaker experienced with Omegas and almost certainly one able to get hold of movement data and parts.

Have a search through watchguy.co.uk and look for the Heuer Autavia he dealt with with similar symptoms.

Can understand in a way why your own watchmaker isn't willing to take it apart and look for things like the wrong wheel/pinion having been replaced somewhere. Tedious job and a lot of arithmetic !

The timing machine only checks the oscillations of the balance wheel, not the movement of the hands, so something is amiss between the two.

Edited Aug 21, 2016
  9. TomGW Aug 22, 2016

Checked it out, thanks very much. That makes a lot of sense, as the issue with mine corresponds directly with the 20% increase in beat rate between 18,000 bph and the 1861's 21,600.