Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Moonwatch "First Omega in Space"

1. clements88 Sep 14, 2017

Hi Everyone,

(this is my first post and if there is already an existing thread on this topic, please let me know)

I'm getting close to making my first significant watch purchase and am thinking about a Speedmaster Moonwatch. In particular I've been considering the "First Omega in Space" reissue version of the ref CK 2998 that came out a few years ago (Ref # 311.32.40.30.01.001).

What does everyone think of this watch vs. the standard Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional? I like the reissue because I have small wrists and the professional at 42mm is a little big for me, whereas this watch is 39.7mm (a small but noticeable difference).

The watch seems to be reviewed favorable by the usual authorities, but one thing that's a little strange is that it's available all over the place on the internet from grey-market dealers (even from Sears!!) at a huge discount (approx 40% off Omega's price). What's the reason for the ubiquity and bargain-basement pricing?

For example, on Chrono24, Heritage Watches international is offering the watch for $3,749 "unworn" and with box and papers. Assuming they'll deliver exactly what they're advertising, is there any reason not to buy it through someone like this and save $1,500 (which isn't insignificant for someone like me)?

Really appreciate any guidance on this!

2. gdupree Sep 14, 2017

Welcome!

The 311.32.40.30.01.001 is a good watch, and the answer to your question will probably come down to personal opinion.

One thing that I will note is that even though the Wally Schirra reissue measures 39.7mm, this is really only because the later moonwatches were modified to include crown guards. The dial and bezel are the same size. However when you measure the watch, the measurement they take is the diameter of the case, excluding the crown and pushers. So when you add those crown guards in there, you get a measurement that says 42, but really the dial and the crown/pushers extend to about the same size. Personally I don't think the crown guards make it feel any bigger

Edited Mar 27, 2018
    Timmert, Foo2rama and Ecodelosandes like this.
  3. boostisbest Sep 14, 2017

Hey there! I recently went through a similar process, and thought I'd share my experience with you. I have small 6.25" wrists, and was also considering the FOIS as an option. I liked the history and look of the Moonwatch, but thought that the 39.7mm FOIS would fit my wrists better. This was confirmed the first time I went to the Omega boutique to try both watches on. The FOIS fit like a glove, whereas the Moonwatch with metal bracelet felt awkward, and had a slight overhang. I went home thinking that the FOIS was for me.

However, I wasn't completely satisfied. I didn't like how the reflective alpha hands were more difficult to read than the white baton hands of the Moonwatch. It also kind of bugged me that they used both alpha and baton hands on the FOIS. And although the Moonwatch was too big, I remember how satisfying that hesalite crystal looked in person. In short, I liked the Moonwatch better, but was trying to convince myself of the FOIS since it fit my wrists.

I decided to go back to the store and check them out again. This time, I had them put a leather strap on the Moonwatch... and guess what? It fit perfectly! Turns out the original awkwardness was due to the metal bracelet. If you look closely, the first bars of the bracelet extend out past the lugs, and effectively makes the case a lot taller than it really is (ie... longer "lug to lug"). This was causing the overall watch face to overhang from my wrists. With a leather strap, this was no longer an issue. It fit about the same as the FOIS, and in fact, I actually liked the extended crown guards and asymmetric shape better. Makes the watch a little more unique than a standard round case.

Regardless of where you buy it, I suggest going to an authorized dealer first to try on both watches. And make sure to try on the Moonwatch with a leather strap. Just ask them to put on any strap if they don't have the standard one available. Hope this helps!

Timmert, Foo2rama and Ssunnylee24 like this.
  4. Ssunnylee24 Sep 14, 2017

I was in your shoe last year. First real purchase on a watch and had to be a speedy. Couldn't easily deicde which model but that was before I found this amazing forum.
    There are a few things to consider before making a purchase. (These are my opinions)
    1. It wears noticebly smaller
    2. Its dressier then the regular speedy
    3. If you want to purchase a bracelet it would cost ou extra
    5. 19mm band width could be annoying (I had no problems fitting 20mm straps)
    6. Sapphire vs hesalite

At first I wanted to trade my fois for the pro but it grew on me, I like the way it fits on my wrist. Its a very nice watch, its matter of choice which one you are going to buy first.

Oh and the lower price was a plus for me too but there are many reputable selling here whom offer pro modle at a good price.

5. gdupree Sep 14, 2017

@Ssunnylee24 good point. The sapphire crystal is an upgrade for scratch resistance, but it has more squared off edges that I dont like. 19mm bands are annoying. You should try them both on.

Unless you're totally set on on the FOIS, check out lunaroyster.com. I've heard nothing but good things about him as a seller.

Edited Mar 27, 2018
  6. ac106 Sep 14, 2017

Yeah he's so great he's banned here!

search on "paper clip speedmaster"

ConElPueblo likes this.
  7. ac106 Sep 14, 2017

8. gdupree Sep 14, 2017

I didn't know that. Until now I had only heard good things.

Edited Mar 27, 2018
  9. ac106 Sep 14, 2017

10. Ssunnylee24 Sep 14, 2017

Brand new hesalite Professional for $3495, Fois for $3595 from @mdgrwl via sales section.
    Pick your speedy!

ac106 likes this.
  11. dukerules Sep 14, 2017

Had a Pro, never wore it, sold it. Bought an FOIS, and can't get over how much I enjoy it. Really a very different watch than is the Pro. A bit more elegant and understated. I now also have an ST, but I'm not sure I don't like the FOIS just as much.

12. kopykopy Sep 14, 2017

I have been to OB several times to put on the Moonwatch but always stopped short of buying because it looked too big on my 6.25" wrist. Then I discovered the FOIS and went to OB to try it on and it fit like a glove. I was pretty sure I was gonna get the FOIS on my next visit. However, someone told me to try the Moonwatch on the leather strap. On my next visit to the OB, I tried Moonwatch with leather strap and I immediately knew that I had to buy the Moonwatch. ANyway I bought the Moonwatch with metal bracelet but I am now in the process of getting a Hirsch leather strap for my Moonwatch and the metal bracelet will go back to the box.

13. clements88 Sep 15, 2017

Wow, thanks, everyone. Really appreciate all the great advice. I'm glad I asked! :)

And @ac106, totally no worries about breaking my balls. I *knew* there must be other threads on this topic and tried finding them, but I didn't realize most people refer to the watch as the "FOIS", which is the crucial search term you need to find all those other threads. But thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Will definitely check them out.

The leather strap on a Moonwatch option is a very intriguing. Will try it out on my next visit to the OB. Actually, the one thing that turns me off about the FOIS is that boring brown leather strap, which seems completely unsophisticated compared to black leather "croco" style leather strap that they offer with the Moonwatch. And aside from being boring, won't the white threading on the FOIS strap get dirty? If I do get the FOIS, I'm strongly considering replacing the strap.

14. ILuvSubs Oct 14, 2017

Wow! Very comprehensive! I've been doing my research on the FOIS and this is exactly what the doctor ordered! Thank you very much.

Also, I cannot believe the Paper-Clip Gate and case back tool stories either. What a real shame for the members that this happened to. Thanks for posting and letting me know that he has been banned on the OF as a result.