Forums Latest Members
  1. Boxman10 Feb 20, 2016

Hi guys, as a newbie I am looking for a bit of advice please and an educated eye.
    I have been looking for a 71 Moonwatch for a while and one has just appeared
    On Chrono 24 from a German dealer Meertz World of Time. I am looking
    for one in reasonable nick and this one has been listed as "mint".
    Couple of questions, has any one ever dealt with the dealer, does the watch
    look like it is genuine, should I ask for pics of the inner caseback and workings?
    Thanks in advance for your help. (Curse this addiction )

https://www.worldoftime.de/en/omega/speedmaster-18405.html#prettyPhoto

Many thanks

James

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 20, 2016

Very pricey, contrary to what you'll hear from dealers, the '71 is not a year that commands any real premium, that watch isn't far off double what it should be worth and has no bracelet, just a "weathered" strap which I can assure you is far cheaper than the guy selling it is willing to let on.

The 7x series models really are much the same price wise, its usually just individual preference or birth years that make someone want a -71 rather than a -74 -76 or -78, there's no bonus just for being "close" to a -69 which does carry a premium.

Be as patient as you can be and keep your money in your pocket for now, try to buy a complete (with bracelet) or if you're lucky, full set -71 (they're out there, and easier to find than a 6x model). You can afford to buy a truly mint example for within that price range quite easily if you find the right one, not just a cleaned up dealer watch.

Also keep in mind they all need a service, which costs several hundred before they can be worn, dealers in particular have a habit of selling vintage watches on a fresh strap "ready to wear" but completely dry internally. Just assume no matter what you buy that cost will be added on top before you can use the watch.

davy26 likes this.
  3. Boxman10 Feb 20, 2016

Hi Ash, thanks for taking the time to reply and for such comprehensive advice. Just out of curiosity would most watches on a site like Chrono 24 tend to be inflated? am I better off waiting for something to appear on this forum in the private sales? Thanks. James

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 20, 2016

James
    Welcome
    7x Speedmasters are great value, in my opinion.
    Just not from Chono24.
    My advice would be to buy one of Ebay where the dial, handset and bezel attracts you.
    Then send it off for service - then you know its good for five years at least.
    Just make sure you have a good workshop lined up, and some patience.
    Sometimes a good one will indeed come up here in the Private Watch sales.
    Good luck.

Boxman10 likes this.
  5. bjhove Feb 27, 2016

Hi Ash,
    Good advice, though I don't agree that all 7x speedies are same..same. The 145022-71 is still a real vintage piece, and the last reference with the stepped dial, which IMHO is the most attractive, and quite similar to the pre-moon references.

Another benefit, as you state, is that 71's are still reasonably priced and generally in better shape, compared to 105012 and 145012's.

best regards

6. ulackfocus Feb 27, 2016

Chrono24 supposedly charges astronomical fees which is often reflected in the seller's pricing. Trust me when I tell you there's absolutely NO shortage of Speedmasters so be patient and keep your eyes open. Try sending a message to member Kringkily - he specializes in Speedmasters.

red crowned likes this.