Forums Latest Members
  1. alohapineapple Feb 7, 2021

I’ve been browsing online for a Speedmaster Moonwatch ref 3592.50 and came across the following listings on eBay that all have the same pictures :cautious:

I’ve messaged the sellers but only heard back from one, who is unable to provide additional photos

Anyone have experience with any of these sellers? The price seems good and feedback is positive but I find it suspicious...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-Apol...Professional-3592-50-Manual-42mm/164685707545Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-Speedmaster-Professional-T015/233886133358Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-Speedmaster-Professional-T015/143916961871Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. mountainunder Feb 7, 2021

All of the ebay sellers of this watch are selling watches that are currently for sale in Japan on ebay without permission.
    This watch is being sold at Takayama Pawnshop in Japan.
    If bought on ebay the seller will buy it from Takayama Pawnshop in Japan with the ebey buyer's money and ship it to the ebay buyer.
    The ebay seller avoids the risk of having inventory and the difference between the ebay selling price and the Takayama Pawnshop selling price becomes the ebay seller's profit.
    If you think of it as an import agency, buying from ebay is a good idea.
    However, you can buy cheaper if you deal directly with Japanese sellers.

Takayama Pawnshop's online store
    Our own online store
    https://takayama78online.jp/shop/g/g2200255710015/
    Other online stores
    https://item.rakuten.co.jp/takayama78/2200255710015/
    https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w443097859

3. alohapineapple Feb 7, 2021

ah got it, this makes sense. thank you!

what does everyone think about this watch? it would be my first omega/speedmaster. been looking for a hesalite/sapphire with tritium hands. the crystal has some wear but think it would clean up with some polywatch. the case edges/corners look decent. I'm less familiar on the nuances, is the bracelet correct for the reference?

Edited Feb 7, 2021
  4. schoutedeni Feb 7, 2021

thanks for this post. I just bought a watch on Chrono24 and was nervous when I saw the same photos used on a listing on EBay (but for $1500 more!).

alohapineapple likes this.
  5. masteroftime Feb 7, 2021

That is really good to know. If you don't mind me asking, how were you able to track down the original seller?

vlaspri likes this.
  6. asrnj77 Feb 7, 2021

Ive seen reports that some Japanese retailers find negotiations to be in poor taste. In your opinion is there any room to negotiate at a place like this or are the stated prices firm?

7. Dan S Feb 7, 2021

I see this frequently, where you will see the same watch from Japan advertised by several sellers at various prices. I haven't looked closely at the eBay TOS, but I wonder if it's not a violation. Can you list a specific item that you don't own?

8. kov Trüffelschwein. Feb 7, 2021

Compared to the numerous scams it’s a minor issue...

befobe and watchyouwant like this.
  9. NineNineSix Feb 7, 2021

It must be a violation, surely you can’t list something you don’t own.

I wonder what they do if someone buys it on eBay and they go to the pawn shop and it’s already been sold?

10. cvalue13 Feb 7, 2021

This is roughly the same method by which remaining stock of Tokyo 2020 watches are now leaving Japan, except the prospecting sellers are sourcing from ADs/OBs.

Dan S likes this.
  11. Dan S Feb 7, 2021

Yes. Presumably they just cancel the sale if they have trouble obtaining the item.

mountainunder likes this.
  12. vlaspri Feb 8, 2021

They just cancel the order and send a message like "sorry, but the item has been sold elsewhere", I had exactly same situation when I bought a Cartier Tank for my wife from Japan eBay seller. After that I always ask additional pictures of the watch.

mountainunder likes this.
  13. mountainunder Feb 8, 2021

This watch is already sold out, so my opinion is probably meaningless, but just in case you're wondering...
    The chrono hands have been replaced.
    The edges of the case are not sharp.
    The dial is good looking.

If I were you, I would look for another watch, because Speedmasters from the 80's and 90's are reasonably priced and tritium is easy to find in nice colors.

14. mountainunder Feb 8, 2021

How did i know the Japanese seller was...

First, let me tell you a little about myself.
    I am Japanese. I can read and write Japanese.
    I check Japanese Yahoo Auctions, ebay, and Chrono24.

I checked the ebay link in the OP and it was a Speedmaster with a familiar picture.
    I search for the Speedmaster on Yahoo Auctions and find the same image.
    Check the seller of the Speedmaster on Yahoo Auctions.
    You can then find the original seller by using Yahoo Auction's seller information or a Google search.

This is how it works.
    It's not a big deal....::shy::

Edited Feb 8, 2021
  15. mountainunder Feb 8, 2021

Most sellers on Yahoo Auctions and Rakuten Market in Japan do not support international shipping.
    Sellers who do support international shipping are already selling on eBay and Chrono24.
    However, you can still contact them by email to find out if they ship internationally. However, Japanese people are not good at English. If you send an inquiry in English, it may be mistaken for spam. Also, inquiries in poor Japanese tend to be mistaken for junk mail and ignored as well.
    If you really want to buy a watch from a seller who does not ship internationally, you can use a forwarding service or purchase agent.

I think the prices are decent.

I don't speak English either, so I use a translation service.:thumbsdown:

16. mountainunder Feb 8, 2021

NineNineSix likes this.
  17. asrnj77 Feb 8, 2021

Thank you. If the Japanese government will let me in, I plan to travel to Tokyo in April (I’ve already postponed once due to COVID restrictions).

I would like to pick up a watch in Tokyo but I wasn’t sure if I could offer 10% less than the asking price.

18. machamp6650 Feb 8, 2021

Did a reader of this thread get the jump on the OP? :cautious:

Seriously though I checked the original Takayama posting, that was quite a discount relative to the ebay listings and not a bad deal at all! Thanks for the info about how this system works @mountainunder - do you have any idea if Takayama post internationally themselves?

19. mountainunder Feb 9, 2021

I would answer that 10% off means that you don't have to pay sales tax.
    If you buy from a tax-free store, you don't have to pay the 10% sales tax.

For example, this is a tax-free store.
    https://www.jackroad.co.jp/shop/pages/shopinfo_new_en.aspx
    https://www.rasin.co.jp/contents/global_page.html

Most department stores are also tax free.
    Large tax free stores offer services in many languages.
    Tax free stores have a symbol like this.
    guide-symbol-mark03.png
    guide-symbol-mark02.png
    guide-symbol-mark01.png

Please enjoy yourself when you come to Tokyo.;)

Edited Feb 9, 2021
    blueteg, Seaborg, YY77 and 1 other person like this.
  20. mountainunder Feb 9, 2021

I asked Takayama Pawnshop, "Can you ship overseas? I asked.
    The answer from Takayama Pawnshop was a polite refusal.

If you want to buy a watch from a seller who does not ship internationally from Japan, please consider using a forwarding service or purchasing agent.::confused2::

machamp6650 likes this.